• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help High pitched feedback loop

Loota

Android Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2012
Rockland, NY
Anyone else periodically getting a high pitched feedback loop issue? Like you would if you moved a Mic too close to a speaker? I'm assuming this is a bug with the new soft tissue speaker..(which is understandable.. it is brand new technology after all..)

It's only happened twice but in two completely different circumstances.. Anyone else experience this?

Yeah this is an ever present problem for me now.. I suspect the "Kyocera Smart Sonic Receiver technology" is to blame. It's vibrations are probably getting picked up by the phone Mic
I must have never took their new 'technology' to heart, for this is the first time I noticed, there is no receiver on the phone, it's simply blank. There is also no microphone.

Kyocera Smart Sonic receiver transmits call audio through cranial vibrations (video)

Kyocera Torque User Guide
This warns NOT to cover the microphones during a call...

Kyocera Smart Sonic Receiver

I have to say, I am very interested in my own Edge now.

Edit: I wonder if our holding angles have something to do with the high-pitch.

Edit 2: Reviews are interesting, I informed my stepfather to try putting the phone to his ear, as in the screen, not the top part of the phone, to his ear, completely, or as normal as it might seem to hold it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Hydro-Edge-Boost-Mobile/dp/B00EJNVUH6/
http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phones/kyocera-hydro-edge/#reviews

Upvote 0
I just purchased a Kyocera hydro edge a few days ago from boost mobile and every so often I get this extremely high pitch feedback so loud that I sometimes have to end the call. It is very annoying when it happens. I have called customer support at boost and was told to reset phone. that didn't work. then went to boost store and they reset profile on phone for volume. thought it worked but after one day it is back. maybe because of the sonic technology it is being picked up by microphone since they are right next to each other. It is hard to diagnose when it is intermittent. maybe too quiet of environment while calling is where mike and "speaker" are crossing sound? or could by echoing off of hand into mike as I hold phone maybe a certain way?

Upvote 0
recently, after trying unsuccessfully to root my hydro edge, then installing quite a few questionable apps, i began receiving a feedback sound. this happened during every subsequent call, always ending when the call hung up, until i did a factory reset. to do this, power the phone off, then hold the volume down and power buttons until the kyocera screen appears.

Upvote 0
I just purchased a Kyocera hydro edge a few days ago from boost mobile and every so often I get this extremely high pitch feedback so loud that I sometimes have to end the call. It is very annoying when it happens. I have called customer support at boost and was told to reset phone. that didn't work. then went to boost store and they reset profile on phone for volume. thought it worked but after one day it is back. maybe because of the sonic technology it is being picked up by microphone since they are right next to each other. It is hard to diagnose when it is intermittent. maybe too quiet of environment while calling is where mike and "speaker" are crossing sound? or could by echoing off of hand into mike as I hold phone maybe a certain way?
We had a similar issue to where Amazon asked us to send the phone back to them and try out a new one.

We received the new one however the problem persists. I believe it's the way the phone is held, instead of trying to hold the top part against your ear, try placing the screen itself to your ear and see if you can get some feedback.

Alternatively, we also had a very strange issue where the phone seemed to remain 'stuck' in a locked mode...and we found out it was due to the film on the screen that the phone had shipped with, was peeling off and since it was no longer attached correctly, the incredibly wide sensor was being obstructed, similar to having your palm on the phone. I would ensure there are no obstructions and that the phone is secured against your ear when you are making a call. The 'speaker' and 'microphone' are conjoined...so in reality, I have been able to turn the phone upside down and make a phone call...and it works.
recently, after trying unsuccessfully to root my hydro edge, then installing quite a few questionable apps, i began receiving a feedback sound. this happened during every subsequent call, always ending when the call hung up, until i did a factory reset. to do this, power the phone off, then hold the volume down and power buttons until the kyocera screen appears.
I would not give up on the root, I continued to carefully attempt it and managed to get where I needed.

http://androidforums.com/hydro-edge-all-things-root/758617-root.html#post6146378

Ensure that the screen is not obstructed and that you are not holding the phone too far away from your body. The sonic technology works on vibration, so from what I have theorized, is that if the vibration is able to connect with itself, it will create the high pitched screech. This can result from holding the phone at an angle that causes a gap between your flesh and the screen.

I would ask you both to try holding the phone in different angles and directions, to see if the feedback loop starts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones