High-pitched toned during phone calls?Support

Last Updated:

1. digdug

digdug Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone else here a faint, high-pitched tone/hum during phonecalls? Its quite annoying, now that I've noticed it. Sometimes it slowly and steadily increases in pitch. Is this a defect?

Advertisement
  2. troybal

troybal Active Member

Is this happening all the time? Or only during some calls? Are you close to another mobile or maybe a radio providing feedback into the phone? I think we need more details ;)

3. digdug

It is happening all the time, though I don't alway notice is, and then when I do, its maddenly distracting. Its like in the range of frequencies used for hearing tests when you go to the ear doctor, if that makes sense.

I thought at first it was Google Voice (as it there's an extra connection made in between you and the recipient), but dialing straight to the recipient without GV as an intermediary still results in this faint noise. Model 43/09. I've had no reboot issues or othet things, though I do notice that the when I play through the ringtones on my phone and during navigation, there is a slight hiss following the tones - as if the tones and voice navigation words were recorded imperfectly.

EDIT: I made a phonecall just now, and there was no noise. Then 50 seconds in, the high pitched interference-like sound started and slowly and steadily lowered in pitch over the course of 40 seconds till it went a way. And then a little later did the same thing. Its very faint, but there enough that its a definite annoyance.

4. ginigma

ginigma Well-Known Member

I have this problem. I was trying to figure out if it was a mobile to mobile issue, or mobile to landline, or when I initiated the call or when I received the call, but it's not consistent. It doesn't happen all the time.
    Mine is a high pitch whine that gets higher as it progresses. It usually stops 20-30 sec into the call.

I haven't seen too many messages about this on the forums I visit.

5. troybal

troybal Active Member

It is odd, would be good to know what city you guys live in.
    But you may want to go exchange it at the Verizon store and show them what you can do to reproduce it.

6. digdug

Read on another forum that doing a *228 option 1, a *228 option 2, and then turning of privacy in call settings submenu alleviates this problem. I just made the changes, so touch wood this fixes this issue!!

7. digdug

Unfortunately, issue wasn't fixed by that. How annoying. Have to get it replaced.

8. qwert

qwert New Member

not repeatable, sounds like a tea kettle in the background. i thought i was losing my hearing or something...

ppl in this thread got the phone reprogrammed, though i don't see how it would help: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/68508

i'm just going to try to get the phone replaced.

9. ginigma

After replacing my phone, I do not hear a high pitched whine on calls anymore.

However, I noticed that this phone has awful battery life. <sigh>

10. efdisaster

efdisaster Well-Known Member

I have this too. Replacing the phone did make it go away? I didn't think this was phone related, but blamed it on the networks... I'd hate to replace the phone, since this is really the ONLY problem I've had.

11. ginigma

Yes, replacing the phone made it go away. This was the *only* problem I had with the phone. Everything else was perfect. I wasn't having any of the other issues reported. Now it seems I have one with the battery drain issue.

12. efdisaster

efdisaster Well-Known Member

exchanged my Droid, still have whistling in the background... and now Locale doesn't work anymore... kinda wish I'd kept the old one.

13. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem, i think its because dust gets in the ear piece. I think moto made the ear piece to big; it allows for to much dust to get in.

14. Dewprism

Dewprism Active Member

I am getting this same problem on my HTC Incredible. However along with that high pitch noise no one on the other end can hear me as well. Just thought i'd throw my two cents in.

15. ccwatson2

ccwatson2 New Member

I'm having the same problem with high pitched tone during initial call connection. It doesn't matter where I am and seems to happen regularly - but particularly if it's been a while since placing or receiving calls. The pitch gets higher and higher, then becomes inaudible and the person I'm talking to reports that they can then hear me clearly. During the high pitch "ramp up", however, they report poor call quality. I can hear the other person just fine even through the annoying high pitch ramp up.

Any solutions yet?