1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

High RAM usage - Samsung Galaxy NoteSupport

1. sharadsharma

sharadsharma Active Member

Hello,

I have been using Samsung Galaxy Note and noticed that it was getting slightly sluggish. I checked the RAM in the task manager and almost 730 MB out of 800 MB with no fore running apps.

Then I checked the Applications and their memory consumption. Surprisingly , the Samsung Keypad was hogging almost 250 MB RAM!

I tried clearing the RAM by press the Clear Memory button but the Android did not gain much RAM from that.

Next , I rebooted the phone and on switching it back on , Samsung keypad was using 20 MB and the phone less than 400 MB.
    Few hours on , Samsung Keypad has again gone up to 50 MB and phone just a little less than 600 MB.

Are other SG Note users facing this issue? Possibly , a memory leak on the Samsung Keypad? Any Idea?

Device : Samsung Galaxy Note
    Android : Gingerbread 2.3.6
    PHONE : N7000XXKK5
    CSC : N7000XEUKK3

Advertisement
    :
  2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

Have you tired clearing the cache?
  3. sharadsharma

Thanks for your reply. How do I do that? Is it different from Clear Memory ?
  4. Metroid Prime

Well, I never owned a pad but go to Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> and just select each app and see if you can clear the cache on it you should see that option.
  5. sharadsharma

There is no such option to clear individual application cache.
  6. Metroid Prime

Nothing like internet app cache?
  7. sharadsharma

Cleared the internet browser cache but that does not help , given that the high RAM usage seems to be because of the Samsung Keypad being the hogger!
  8. MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle Well-Known Member

There is a clear data and a clear cache in where he said. Its just I never seen the Clear Cache button lit up (as in clickable)
  9. sharadsharma

Yeah found the options - They are disabled though.

How many people facing this issue on Note by the way? This should not be happening in the first place :S
  10. Metroid Prime

Try downloading another keyboard.
  11. sharadsharma

Anybody else facing this issue or knows of a resolution ?

I do not really want to be installing an alternate keyboard :s
  12. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Try the Android Keypad (if it has one) or download the Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard. Pretty nice!
  13. sharadsharma

I installed the Android Keyboard and it is using 69 MB right at the start. I will update if it starts increasing!
    But I thought even 69 is a bit high for keypads - No?
  14. dilipc

dilipc Member

Normally the Android OS should be able to handle memory issues. I had a lag on my Note, which I found was being caused by aftermarket widgets. I reset my device, and am using only the stock widgets now. Plus, I updated with the latest OTA. The lags gone, and my Note is snappy again. Oh yes, I'm not using live wallpapers as they apparently hog memory.
  15. sharadsharma

Thanks for your update mate

Can you please check and let me know how much memory your keypad is using right now? What is the RAM status overall?

I know Android should handle memory issues itself but high usage on keypad is a problem!
  16. Queen6

Queen6 Well-Known Member

Samsung Keypad 22-23Mb (Swype 34Mb) I run widgets and live wallpaper, no slow downs; international Note 16Gb base, 64Gb SD card 2.3.6 DXLA1 admittedly you need to take some care with what you install, I let Android manage it`s own memory, no task killers etc
  17. sharadsharma

Hey Queen - Can you please post the country where you bought the phone and the firmware details along with the Android Version. Great help - Cheers
  18. mobi323

mobi323 Active Member

Hello,
    Where do you check the keyboard use?
  19. sharadsharma

Keypad usage :
    1)On Home Screen press the left touch button and enter Settings
    2)In Settings Menu , Open Applications and then Running Services
    3)You should find a keypad process in this list along with the RAM it is usage

Phone RAM :
    Task Manager > RAM
    mobi323 likes this.
  20. fabianfred

fabianfred Active Member

Hey Queen... I see you have a 64GB SD card...I thought 32GB was the limit for the Note??!!

Does it make much difference to move applications to the SD card instead of leaving them on the phone memory?

I got an adaptor cable to connect my phone to my USB thumbdrives and everything plays well so no need to keep too much on the phone itself...
  21. dilipc

dilipc Member

I use the Swift Keypad since I don't like the Samsung keyboard at all. Swift keyboard is amazing! The following will show RAM usage overall and for the keyboard.

Attached Files:

22. Queen6

Queen6 Well-Known Member

32Gb is the official limit, however 64Gb works perfectly well, so why not take advantage of it :)

I havent really moved many apps to the SD card pretty much just let the GNote deal with that, I do have a lot of music, video and documents which I keep on the SD card. I prefer everything internalised so dont need to worry to much about carrying too many bits and pieces.
  23. Queen6

Queen6 Well-Known Member

Bought my GNote locally in Malaysia

GT-N7000
    Android 2.3.6
    Baseband N7000DXKL2
    Kernel 2.6.35.7-N7000DXLA1
    Gingerbread.DXLA1
  24. mobi323

mobi323 Active Member

How do you tell that the 64gb sd card is operational? Do you have over 32gb in use? Might it be that only part (ie 32gb) of the 64gb card is able to be accessed.
    I'm not doubting but as I know nothing of these things I would be worried that if I went to the considerable expense of purchasing a 64gb card I would be able to actually use all of it not only 32gb of it.
  25. Queen6

Queen6 Well-Known Member

After formatting you will see 59.46Gb of free space on the 64Gb card, there are several threads on the forum detailing the very same...
    mobi323 likes this.