• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
This is definitely a matter of concern to me. Think about it: If cell phone radiation is nothing to worry about, why is there a legal limit in the first place?

Here's some good info: Getting practical about cell phones and cancer | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

Will I let this sway me from getting the phone? No. But I usually make it a point to talk on speaker or with a headset rather than holding a phone to my ear. Could I be worried over nothing? Sure. Would I rather be safe than sorry? Yes. Cell phones haven't been around long enough for us to really know how safe they are.

Upvote 0
Could you elaborate why that's "nothing to worry about?" (I just read an article how about it cuts the production in sperm in some men...)

I just would assume this would be a little bit more talked about?

I'm surprised manufactureres haven't done a better job in shielding phones. Apple seems to have caught on with the iPhone 3gs. I'm still unsure if I'll go back to android since I tried the Eris for a bit and hated it. Sense was so slow. Back on my 3gs and contemplating the incredible.

It really isn't something to worry about. The monitoring of SAR levels goes back to the controversy over whether or not cell phones were causing tumors in brain tissue immediately surrounding the area of the "phone ear." A lot of this was based on old technologies, and the new cell phones produce a minute fraction of what those did in the early and mid 90s, and there is still no definitive proof that the radiation emitted from the older cell phones was causative in the first place.

I don't know about you, but the vast majority of my conversations are via speakerphone, bluetooth, or headset nowadays. I know that's not always the case, and not true for everyone, but if that is a concern for you, that's one way to avoid it. The radiation levels don't travel that far at all from the cell phone itself - the recommendation is that if it concerns the user, to "keep it at least 1 inch from the body."

In terms of sperm count...even if it were true, my advise is to simply keep it away from the family jewels. ;)

Reactions: XDaydreamerX11
Upvote 0
This is definitely a matter of concern to me. Think about it: If cell phone radiation is nothing to worry about, why is there a legal limit in the first place?

Here's some good info: Getting practical about cell phones and cancer | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

Will I let this sway me from getting the phone? No. But I usually make it a point to talk on speaker or with a headset rather than holding a phone to my ear. Could I be worried over nothing? Sure. Would I rather be safe than sorry? Yes. Cell phones haven't been around long enough for us to really know how safe they are.

Almost 25 years now...

Keep in mind, most cell phones normally operate WAY below their maximum output.

Upvote 0
Some points to consider:

Find a consumer site that provides a radiation output measurement for your TV, microwave oven, primary ignition circuit in your car, overhead powerlines, cordless phones and... wait for it... your computer.

It has not been proven that cell phone radiation is harmless, but there is no more evidence to prove that it is harmful.

As far as lowered sperm counts: Mountain Dew and laptops are supposed to do the same thing, I have two children running around that were both conceived by a spouse who religiously takes her birth control pills and I have had one or the other in my lap or hand at pretty much any given point since I was 15 years old.

Reactions: XxICEMAN720xX
Upvote 0
Regretably, brain tumor incidences are up for some reason. One of my business partners had one and another had cataracts at a young age. Both used cell phones since the car mounted ones including the old moto bricks which were the first portable ones. They talked 4000 min/mo. I had many analog phones too but so far no suspected cell phone issues. Honestly it's close enough for me to be cautious. We use headsets when possible as bt puts out a miniscule amount of juice only reaxhing feet instead of miles.

It's only funny until you are the one with a tumor and have to wonder how you got it.

Upvote 0
I think, after reading the scientific journal article evidence on the web, that SAR is important for us users to look into.

Personally, I do not want a creepy tumor in my ear, but hey, it could become the new fad. EVERYONE'S DOIN IT!

Speakerphone FTW...

YES and EGG WHITES are bad for you, or is it egg yolks? no egg whites, no yolks...

Damn I can't remember the scientific evidence has flip-flopped so many times in the last 30 years...

point being there are thousands of things that are going to kill you WAY before this will. you have to put things in perspective, the increased cancer chance from other things your exposed to on a daily basis is probably 100's of times high than this...

Would I spend ten years with a phone stuck to my ear 10 hours a day? Of course not, mostly because I'd look like a idiot not because I think I'd get cancer from it...

Upvote 0
cell phone radiation is non - ionizing, it is not harmful.

carry on.

As stated earlier, it's non-ionizing radiation.

For those that don't understand the difference, here's a link directly from the EPA concerning ionizing vs non-ionizing radiation:

Ionizing & Non-Ionizing Radiation | Radiation Protection | US EPA

The page contains even more links if you want to learn further on the implications. Like Dbag and NKT have said...the fact that it is non-ionizing makes it a non-issue.

Upvote 0

Politicians are NOT scientists. Not to mention, there is no one emailing legislatures that say they want the law removed, just the people who get hyped up over anything they read online are emailing asking for dumb laws.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones