High Standby Data UsageSupport

Last Updated:

1. silvrsurfr

silvrsurfr Member This Topic's Starter

Not sure if many of you have been following threads out there about very high data usage on standby - my experience.

I went from using 5mb - 10mb a day to 100mb/day. Unbelieveable.

I tried searching for everything I could to figure it out - all the way from Location Setting swithed on to Facebook having a Calendar sync'ing glitch where it perpetually sync'd - never stopped. Hence racked up Mb's.

The problem, I believe, for my phone was the Gmail constantly sync'ing. I guess i have a few emails with large attachments - 3-5mbs. I thought once it sync'd it to my phone, it would not reload them. I had sync on every hour - so every hour - 5mbs were used!!!

Needless to say, i have stopped the auto sync of my Gmail - its on manual now, and better yet i will just be using IMAP instead of Push email, and the problem has been solved.

I am now back to normal use of 5mbs per day - 10mb on the high side. And that is with Twitter constant, internet, Push to Talk, and World War game to name a few.

If you dont follow your data usage, i highly recommend you do. There are horror stories out there of people having to pay $1000 extra. I will be owing prob an extra $50.00 or more due to this issue.
    (In Canada here on Bell Carrier - monthly limit is 500mb) I recommend downloading 3G watchdog - really good at monitoring data.

Anyway, just wanted to share this story, as I dont think there has been an HTC Legend thread. And that is the phone I have.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. mrsinky

mrsinky New Member

thanks pal had same problem.....its like argh where have my 500mb gone....

3. mjf1

mjf1 Well-Known Member

I posted a similar note when we received the 2.1 update - received almost 1 gb of data overnight. Called Bell and they could not give me an answer re why this happened (my guess was repeated re-tries). My data has been turned off this month until Aug 27 when I reset to 0 and will then start monitoring again. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any Android application which will provide individual application data usage to allow you to find the offending app(s).

4. duberman

duberman Member

I have my Gmail sync once a day and hotmail every 3 hours. I use maybe 10mb a day and that's with web browsing?
    Anyways both email clients are set to download the first 1 mb of each email instead of the entire email, not to download the attachements. Only sync the first 20 emails. Helps a lot, the phone won't sync old emails for nothing.

Anyways haven't busted my limit yet or noticed anything weird... well actually 3G Watchdog doesn't seem to monitor the data like Bell does. Right now 3G Watchdog has my data at 140mb while Bell (through the self-serve app) shows that I'm at 110mb.

5. silvrsurfr

silvrsurfr Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah - 3G watchdog vs Self Serve bell - definitely they are off. Guess Bell has their own way of accumulating data - but 3G watchdog will at least give you a sense of what you are using per day - even if its off a little bit. I like how you can track the last many days to see the comparison.

As for an App that shows individual usage, the closes thing i found was dialing in
    *#*#4636#*#* (as if you are making a phone call)
    Its a little internal program which details battery usage, along with data usage. And it list the programs that are using data the most as of the time you checked it.
    On my it list - internet, world war, mail, and others. This is where i saw 'mail' which was always on top!

Its pretty good - have a look at it.

duberman likes this.
  6. duberman

duberman Member

Awesome, didn't know about that