• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories higher power batteries - safe?

wjgatt

Lurker
Jul 31, 2011
Hi all, I recently got this fantastic hd, but as expected the battery life is short. I was looking on ebay for a second backup battery to carry with me just in case, especially since I have an important seminar coming up.

Is it safe to use a battery with a higher capacity, say 1600mAh? Could you recommend any sellers/brands in particular? Are there trade-offs concerning price/battery life?

Thanks
W

I bought a bundle consisting of two generic batteries and charger from eBay as backup, and they work fine and seem to power the phone as long as the original HTC battery. The general consensus here seems to be that batteries with a higher quoted capacity don't seem to last any longer per charge but I can't remember anyone saying that they had caused any problems.

One thing I take care with is that I don't recharge the third-party batteries in the phone, always using the separate charger that came with them. This is because I don't see there being much risk in using the batteries to power the phone but, were they to develop a fault, this could end up damaging the phone's charging circuitry. Unlikely, I expect, but I prefer to play safe.

Reactions: wjgatt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones