highlight pdf text with a finger stroke - exists ? possible to program ?

1. ejoffe

ejoffe New Member

Hi,

I have to read a lot of professional documents and I like to highlight important sections.
    The main reason I have purchased a tablet was in order to facilitate my reading.

I have not been able to find a pdf reader that allows highlighting text by dragging the finger across the text as I would with a mouse on my PC.

I mean going into highlighting mode and whatever line I move my finger across gets highlighted (at the moment I have to long press -> drag a box across the line I am interested in -> choose 'highlight' from the small menu)

Is that supports such a function or alternatively how complicated is it to program such a function and do you think I could find someone in one of the freelance programmers sites to do it ?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

EZ PDF Reader supports this
    Handy for translating Irish for me
  3. ejoffe

ejoffe New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have been playing a bit with ezpdf and repligo
    both have an option to highlight text but it is complex:
    long press -> drag the rectangle across the selection -> choose 'highlight'.

On the PC on the other hand you go into highlight mode and what ever you drag your mouse across gets highlighted.

I am looking for something similar in an app.
    If it doesn't exist I thought of getting someone to develop it - it doesn't seem to be very complicated but I am trying to find out how much it will cost and where to find someone for the job.

THanks
  4. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

You see, the procedure you are suggesting is already used for zooming

Its fairly simple as it is, no?
  5. ejoffe

ejoffe New Member

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

This is exactly the problem. Since draging the finger across the screen is used for scrolling and zooming it cannot be used for selection.

I would like to check whether it is possible to design an app where scrolling and zooming will be handled by something else (lets say a scroll bar) so that the finger stroke can be used for selection very much like a mouse.

I read a huge amount of pages each week so the time saving and ease of use will be considerable for me.

Thanks
    E
  6. attorianzo

attorianzo New Member

It is exactly my problem.

I find too complex to select the highlight option each time I want to highlight some text..

It is a very important feature.

Have you solved the problem?
  7. ejoffe

ejoffe New Member

I am afraid not.
    I know its possible because DocumentsToGo has an option for selecting text be dragging the finger only they don't have a highlighting option with that.
    I eventually got used to the method available but it is far from perfect.