Hinge broke in fall from back pocketGeneral

Last Updated:

1. benmcdonald

benmcdonald New Member This Topic's Starter

The hinge on my G2 broke when it fell onto concrete as I tried to slip it into my back pocket. This phone had to last 2 years and it didn't even make it 2 weeks.

I bought insurance but the deductible is $110. Because this was just a short fall I can see this happening again. I wish I could take it back.

What's the deal with this Z hinge anyway? There are much more robust designs that could have been used.

I used the G1 for years and it survived many drops with only a few nicks and scratches to show for it.

Ben

Advertisement
  2. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, that sucks. I should look into getting insurance, too. But, of all the things one might expect to break a phone, dropping it on concrete is pretty extreme, eh? If you're planning on doing that a lot, maybe you might think about investing in a shock-absorbing rubber case or something.

For the record, I do like the Z-hinge and the clearence it affords my huge fingers on the top row. Hopefully you only hit it just so and this won't be a recurring issue.

3. Arcadia

Arcadia Well-Known Member

Well if you drop it on concrete from a standing position, what do you expect to happen? I make damn sure I don't drop my phone, especially on concrete.

4. wm2485

wm2485 Member

Don't be to hard on him. No, I know what you mean, My wife drops her cliq all the time and it never got more then a scratch. Although I do like the z hinge design, I cant imagine it being too durable. Pay the $110 deductible, report it as lost, hold on to the phone for a couple of months, and...sell it on eBay as "Broken Hinge" :p (Money Back). No I lost an old cliq of mine, paid the deductible got a new one, then months later found it and t-mobile told me I could sell it on eBay no problem.

5. sinistersai4d

sinistersai4d New Member

If phone still works I would just glue the pieces together... and use it as a Nexus one.

Then switch to this VK which is the best one imo..
    [MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers