hinge?Support

Last Updated:

1. jonoross949

jonoross949 Active Member This Topic's Starter

hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so go easy on me! ;)

yeah anyway, i'm not sure if there is already a post about this? I didn't see one, i saw a few videos on youtube - people are having problems with the hinge? like their not as strong as they were when they first started using it and then eventually dont hold the weight on the screen therefore it just closes when in a vertical position.. is anyone else having any problems with that or is it just the odd phone?

thank you :)

jonathan.

Advertisement
  2. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I think the videos you saw are more about the spring on the hinge that would keep the keyboard open or closed. The spring on the hinge is designed to be loose or weak so as to make opening and closing the keyboard easier and without the hard snap in place when you move the keyboard past half way. HTC has said it was designed to be loose. The drawback is that if you hold half of the phone, gravity can cause the other half to swing partially open and close. I think this is what you see in those videos.

Of the videos I have seen, the person holding the phone deliberately holds it in a way that can demonstrate the loose spring on the hinge. Most of those positions they hold the phone in are ones which no one would normally hold any phone.

I've been using this phone for three weeks now. When the keyboard is closed, there is no possible way that it would open by itself if I hold it normally. When you grip the phone, you would grip the sides in a way that you are gripping both the screen half and the keyboard half. If you are holding the phone on the sides, your finger will naturally grip both halves, keeping it together. There is also some tension on the spring that holds it close.

With the keyboard open, I'm usually sitting up so the weight of the screen keeps it closed. The only position where the weight of the screen would force it to close is if I am lying on my back looking up at the screen and I am holding the keyboard. If I do decide to use the phone in this position, which is very uncommon, I can always prop open the screen with my index fingers while my other fingers are on the back of the phone and my thumbs are free to type.

I think many people expect the spring to be tighter than it is. That is the main source of the criticism. The loose hinge does not, however, mean that it wears out faster. I cannot really comment on the longevity of the hinge mechanism as I only used it for three weeks. I haven't notice any degradation of the quality of the hinge in these three short weeks.

In comparison, the Nokia N97 has a similar mechanism for its keyboard. Unlike the Desire Z, the N97 hinge mechanism has a rather tight spring. Gravity will not force it to open and close because of the tightness of the spring. The disadvantage of the tight spring is that it makes the mechanism more difficult to open and close. Also, after you open or close it more than half way, the spring causes it to snap hard in place. Some people do not like this property of the tight hinge. I have seen people criticise the N97 for having a spring that ws too tight which is the opposite of the criticism of the Desire Z.

It all depends on your particular preference. I have used both the N97 and Desire Z. I have not problem with either hinge mechanism. I don't think that people should have anything to worry about as long as they grip the phone normally.

jonoross949 likes this.
  3. jonoross949

oh i see now, my worries are over :D thanks for the time you put into writing that essay aswell! appreciate it :) one more thing though - do you have to push quite hard on the keys to type or is it simple simple. (in comparison to a blackberry)

jonathan.

4. premiump

premiump Well-Known Member

Typing on the Desire Z qwerty is a breeze. Very responsive keyboard! Absolutely love it! Compared to a Blackberry? I'd say about the same.

cheers ;)

jonoross949 likes this.
  5. Stuntman

You're quite welcome.

I use a BlackBerry Tour as well. Just comparing key presses, I find that the keys are roughly the same in terms of how much pressure you need to apply to register a press. They are very close and maybe slightly more pressure is needed on the Desire Z.

If you are switching keyboards, regardless of the keyboard, you will need an adjustment period. My previous phone is actually an N97. There is a learning curve switching to a Desire Z or BlackBerry. I personally have a lot of difficulties with the BB keyboard. The reason is that the BB keys are right beside each other with no space in between. The N97 and the Desire Z has their keys spaced apart. I also tend to not use my BB keyboard very much, so whenever I'm using it, it's still a big adjustment.

The Desire Z also took me a while to adjust from the N97. The N97 does not have raised keys where as the Desire Z has. This subtle change caused some difficulties for me at first. After using it for 3 weeks, I find I'm fairly proficient with it now.

At present, there is no standard keyboard for mobiles. Not only that, the layout of the keys are all slightly different. No matter what keyboard you use, it will take time to learn. It's not something you can really figure out just by going to the store and typing a few sentences.

jonoross949 likes this.
  6. Hareti

Hareti Member

Totally agree with Stuntman on what he says. This was actually my main concern before buying the phone a couple of weeks ago. Fact is that yes, you can get it to open when holding one bit of it, but doing that is very unnatural and actually quite difficult to do! In practice I have not had any problem at all -the keyboard comes out when i want it to and not when I don't.

jonoross949 likes this.
  7. K-Tak

K-Tak Member

have switched from a Blackberry bold 9000 to the Desire Z and am loving it. :)

keyboard wise, it's taking some time to adjust to the wider keyboard on the Z but typing on it is a breeze. buttons feel quite nice. No more typing with one hand though :p

8. Beaker491

Beaker491 Well-Known Member

Hi

Just a quick question, is the hinge and slight "looseness" shown in this video normal, and part of the design? Or is it a fault? Just to put my mind at rest :)
    If its part of the design, then that's not a problem. It should withstand heavy usage, like it was designed to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvHE5lZ1tCs

(P.S - its not my video, but one that shows the main thing people are complaining of/ worrying about?)

Edit: How do i get the above link to work please? If you type in the above in youtube it will come up, but i'd like to get a link straight to it? Sorry for the inconvenience - Got it working now! Sorry about that.

Thanks again

Ian

9. Stuntman

The part where the keyboard and screen halves are not parallel when half opened also happens on my phone. I don't think it is a problem if they aren not parallel when partially open as long as they are when fully opened or closed which is the case with mine.

As for the little give that you see on the video, when the keyboard is open, there is no give on my phone. When the keyboard is closed, I do notice a little bit of give on one corner of my unit. I actually never noticed this before until I saw the video and started pressing various parts of my phone. When using it for the past 3 and a half weeks, I never noticed any give. This give on my unit is much smaller than what is shown on the video. On my unit if the keyboard is closed and you press the top left corner, you can see it move slightly as it is not perfectly flush. When using the unit, I have never noticed it and would never really press down on that part of the phone as it is past the edge of the screen.

Beaker491 likes this.
  10. Stuntman

I also used a Nokia N97. It has a physical keyboard that has a similar Z hinge only it tilts the screen out when the keyboard is open. When the keyboard is retracted, the screen is also not perfectly flush with the keyboard half. You can see a slight gap and there is a slight give as well if you press along the edge. I had that phone for 7 months and that give is not noticeable when I use the phone normally either.

11. GlitchZero

GlitchZero Well-Known Member

Just checked mine, it's totally flat, so might just be a couple bunk handsets with a more "angled" hinge, but it doesn't seem to affect use unless you decide that the aluminum edge makes a better touchscreen than the actual screen.

Beaker491 likes this.
  12. jonoross949

could it possibly be the way people are opening it? like maybe their pushing it up too hard as they open it and loosening or bending the connection between hinge and phone? if that makes sense?? :)

13. Stuntman

Any time you have moving parts, you can have imperfections. Even on the N97, the screen and keyboard halves are not perfectly flush.