Hiss during bluetooth stereo

Last Updated:

1. mattkranzler5

mattkranzler5 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys do any of you notice a hiss while listening to music/podcasts through bluetooth stereo headphones? I have tried a couple different headsets and all of them have a very noticeable hiss coming through.

Advertisement
  2. Droidophile

Droidophile Well-Known Member

Yep same problem here through Motorola Rokr bluetooth headphones. Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

3. mattkranzler5

mattkranzler5 Active Member This Topic's Starter

This is frustrating because audio works fine through wired headphones. I wonder if they will ever fix the a2dp protocol so this hiss goes away.

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I don't hear a hiss when I use my car stereo to listen to music through Bluetooth, but I noticed that the sound quality is very poor if I have the media volume below 100% on my Droid and turn up the stereo volume instead. Could be related. If the headphones have their own volume controls you might want to try turning those down and cranking up the volume on the phone to maximum.

5. Droidophile

Not sure about protocol here. Hiss is usually a sign of a crappy DAC. Chances are both headphones and droid have bare minimum consumer class audio components. Who knows though. It would be nice to think the Droid has Burr-Browns or Wolfsons for DACs but thats just a silly pipe dream.

I might have to try Vincents idea.

6. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

Likwise, s305s. Also get a strange effect where music goes slightly in and out of key sometimes, like the signal is being stretched or distorted. My first BT headphones so I'm not sure how common this is.

7. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I had a deck in my old car with Wolfson DAC and the files sounded incredible. I don't think the Droid matches up nearly as well. Even if I play it through an Aux on similar speakers/hardware they definitely sounded better on my old deck. You're probably right about the components.

8. chiefsfan

chiefsfan Member

i haven't experienced this problem.
    using rokr s9-hd

9. Droidophile

Identical to the ones I use. Rokr s9-hds. Hisssssssss-Festival
    Hmmmmm. An interesting mystery is upon us.. :confused:

10. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I haven't noticed this issue either. I am using regular Moto S9's, non HD :(

Worked fine for me in 2.0, 2.0.1, and now 2.1

11. Droidophile

Ok as silly as this sounds, this might actually be good news. Maybe the hiss is caused by something other than hardware. I wonder if some other app is sharing the audio signal and causing the hiss. Time to do some testing. After new years of course. Time now to actually drink. Happy New Years folks! See you on the other side!

12. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

I use a set of [FONT=&quot]Sony DRBT100CX bluetooth earbuds and I get aboslutely no hiss during either music or audiobooks. :D
    [/FONT]

13. travva

travva Well-Known Member

yeah i listen to pandora and my music library most nights on my s305s and havent noticed this at all. i did used to hear the static happening before the last update but never any hissing.

14. clemarr

clemarr Active Member

Right now I do not have a stereo bluetooth headset but looking at getting a pair. My problem is with my Plantronics 510. I hear the hiss and static using it. Plus the volume level is a lot lower then when I use the same bluetooth headset with any other phone. I have the volume cranked on the headset and phone and can hardly hear it. On my wife's Lg freebie and on the curve 8330 I have to turn it down some.

15. chiefsfan

chiefsfan Member

maybe we're using different music apps?

I use meridian and last.fm.

The music volume on the phone is cranked all the way up and probably on the low side with the headphones.

16. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

Good point about the player. With my [FONT=&quot]Sony DRBT100CX bluetooth earbuds I use the Astro Player Beta and get no hiss whatsoever. I just checked and the phone volume is at about 75% and the headphone is between 50% and 75%.
    [/FONT]