Hissing & Popping on headphonesSupport

Last Updated:

1. grant2

grant2 Member This Topic's Starter

Just curious about others' experience with the headphone audio on their Desires.

I use etymotic ER-6i earphones. In a quiet room I set the volume to "1" (i.e., one notch above nothing) and it's still a bit loud. That's how sensitive they are.

While playing music there is a very noticeable hissing & popping (more like a thumping). This noise can be isolated by turning the volume to "0" while the music is playing.

Others have complained of this, and different people have claimed their music is crystal clear. I wonder if there's a common defect to many but not all desires... or if only those of us with particularly sensitive earphones can hear such quiet interference.

Maybe it's something else causing it, like the wifi? I will experiment later.

Advertisement
  2. Patney

Patney Member

I removed it by turning off the 3G network... It's very frustrating that this exists though,

3. na-fi

na-fi Member

I have the same problems with my Sennheiser CX 300 IIs (in ear, 16 Ohm), but not with PX 100s (on ear, 32 Ohm). Considering they have similar SPL values (113 dB, and 114 dB, respectively), impedence seems to be the critical variable. All in all, I guess this kind of interference is what you have to expect when you cramp so many electronic components in such a small space. Add to that the lack of support for FLAC, and you can easily say that the guys at HTC did not have audiophils in mind during their design efforts!

4. frankbonatelli

frankbonatelli Well-Known Member

I have had this issue while plugged into my truck system via male male 3.5 audio jack. Nothing fancy so its not the incredible sound quality but wired plug in contact maybe. Yesterday I plugged in and it was sweets sounds but the day before was hissing and popping. I've tried adjusting how deep the plug inserts and it never altered the amount of hiss and pop. Have not tried with headset or as recommended in earlier post, testing 3g off at this time but I will as soon as it happens again.

5. grant2

grant2 Member This Topic's Starter

Just an update: playing with network settings, etc. didn't help at all. It seems the desire was designed to allow more hiss in.

The solution I found ,which is a bit cumbersome, was to put a knob-controlled volume control between the phone & my earbuds. This allows me to turn up the volume on the phone (which diminishes the relative loudness of the hiss) and then use the resistor to turn the volume down to the level I want.