History Repeats Itself With Virgin MobileGeneral

1. greg4android

greg4android Well-Known Member

Virgin Mobile shot us the SAME OLE CRAP when the Virgin Mobile MC760 Broadband2Go "unlimited" plan hit. So many people bought the device the network was so overloaded, webpages would fail, downloads were <256kbps. Eventually we ended up routing thru native SPRINT, thru a server in Kansas. (instead of Virgin Mobile, our domain said Sprint PCS).
    Virgin Mobile doesn't plan new device rollouts very well.

The OPTIMUS V has been a very popular device. No telling how many new accounts have been created, this creating a heavier demand on towers that are already oversaturated. they obviously didn't plan very well here. I've had the same data drop issues, Its irritating as hell.

Virgin Mobile never admitted the earlier issues with the tremendous rollout of the mobile broadband device. At that time, they used what was called virtualization. You actually entered the tower to which you were connecting at on a SPRINT PCS network, but then, you were re-routed on an internal network to a server in Walnut creek, CA. This caused major issues and bottlenecks. You'd literally request a page, and wait 1-2 minutes for it to fetch, by that time, you're browser timed out. Next time you might get lucky and it would come in quickly. Many other times 3G would go to 1xrtt suddenly, and hang. you'd have to reboot the device to get it back working. Eventually after tons of complaints, they stopped this internal routing, and although VM traffic was routed to another server, it obviously had the capacity to handle the traffic. Shortly after that, they began throttling, and eventually they removed the "unlimited" data... then cut it to 5gb, and I believe broadband data is now capped at 2.5GB(this is on the broadband2go device)

Appears that the same issues with the Optimus V, since its a full 3G device itself, the same appears to be happening with the influx of new users on the Optimus (heck they're sold out everywhere, so you can see how many people are flocking to VM). And it is possible that this DATA DROP is some fluke in the Android system, and the fact that SPRINT hasn't got a fix in their towers/servers to deal with these devices.....
    With the history of VM and their "unlimited" plans (whether it be broadband mobile or cell phones (with data), I eventually believe the same thing will happen with the Optimus. While calling minutes will probably remain the same, I see data being severely crippled, just as they did the MC760 internet device.......ESPECIALLY, now that people have discovered how to tether their device....

The MC760 people really got shafted when they ditched "unlimited" for 2.gb. I was on the plan, but got HSI cable before they changed. Thankfully, I sold my modem online before the transition.

$129 isn't a bad deal for a phone even for talking for $25 for 300 minutes.
    Its the DATA issue that SPRINT needs to address (and not cripple in the near future).

Eventually Virgin Mobile will kill off the "unlimited data" on this phone. They've already killed tethering on the OPTIMUS S (sprint directly).
    And like I said earlier with the VM mobile USB going from unlimited to 2.5gb a month.

Virgin Mobile likes to think up new plans and devices and all the hype that goes along with them, and sell the heck out of a new phone and plan, yet never plans beforehand the issues and impact this will have on an already saturated 3G network.

Maybe a fix soon? who knows? in the mean time, you just gotta live with it, and toggle the "mobile data" on and off.

I'll keep mine (I had 2, I took one back). I cancelled my AT&T phone. $25 is cheap enough for me for phone calls. Everyone's needs are different.

In closing, if you dont like the phone and its issues, take it back and stop complaining about it.

Virgin Mobile devices are at the bottom of the service queue on the SPRINT network.

Advertisement
    blmbmj and dsohn1015 like this.
  2. lou61166

lou61166 Well-Known Member

You know what they dug their own grave now they have to lay in it,i think by them taking a blind eye to the overload problems is if nothing else advertising fraud,and if it is not addressed soon or at least some kind public explanation,the goverment FCC will get out the fine book.but to tell people not to complain about an advertised product that does not deliver is just crazy,by complaining it draws if nothing else the media,and forces the company to explain themselves.
  3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Ya know Greg, no one forces you to read the complaints-and if you want to roll over for VM, that's your choice as a submissive consumer-some of us would like the service we pay for.

Complaining about complaints is just silly.
  4. greg4android

Oh yeah, people always cry "get the government and FCC" involved. What alot of red tape. Does that create an immediate solution? Nah?

I stood by all the issues with the MC760 internet device, within 1 month, they'd addressed the issues, and the service was ok. BUT when they took their "unlimited" to 2.5gb, that was the drawing point. Adios!

I suppose I'll keep my Optimus V mostly for phone calls. and live with the data toggle issue.

I do think the issue is totally ridiculous with the data issue (being as its the second time its happened with a new device rollout with them).

But as another user in the forum posted "My life does not rely on data on this phone", neither does mine, and i'm not gonna get all torn up about it. the data feature works on mine most of the time with the procedures everyone's tried.

SPRINT is the one that needs to step up, since they own Virgin Mobile. they should have seen this coming.

If you dont want to wait for a fix, return your device while you have the option, or live with the workaround for the time being if you decide to keep it.

I wonder if Dan Hessee reads these forums? dan@sprint.com? LOL
  5. lou61166

This is fine for you,but their are no 2 humans alike,but basically what you are saying is turna blind eye to this an ither live with it or return it iswhat corporate america loves,and with this attitude the consumer will continue to suffer and be scammed and tricked and that is pathetic,i for one am not having major issues either,and because of it i will stick it out,but i will not stick in the faces of those who do, that is just arrogance.
  6. greg4android

I want the issue to be fixed just as much as anyone else, and I want features I'm paying for.

VM states they know about the issue. If no one wants to wait for a fix, they surely have the option of taking theirs back for a refund, and move on. VM screwed up (again), but everyone wants the issue fixed NOW.
    If you dont want to wait, move to another carrier.

ScottColbert, I'd say you know anything about me, so I hardly think you should start calling me "submissive". That's just uncalled for!

7. lou61166

Where have you seen this about isues anywhere other then facebook or from people calling and reporting this on forums,they are not handling this well at all, like i have stated a little truth goes a long way, maybe people would not complain as much if they posted something on their website or came out in the media.but they continue to sell and activate phones to a blind public.
  8. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

All due respect, I don't need to know a thing about you to recognize the attitude of "suck it up, stop whining. I'm not making waves and neither should you."

As I stated, if you don't like the legitimate complaints people have you don't have to read them. Feel free to let VM provide you with subpar service-for 60 a month I expect a bit better even if you don't.
  9. treven21

treven21 Well-Known Member

10. greg4android

I guess my expectations of a $25.00 prepaid calling plan aren't very high then......

My expectation of the VM BroadBand2Go(unlimited 3G internet USB device for $40) rollout wasn't every high either, but I gave them a change to fix things. things did get fixed, but a small percentage had to abuse it being data hogs, so eventually VM put a 2.5gb cap on it, so I cancelled it and sold mine.

11. KentInPhilly

KentInPhilly Well-Known Member

But complaining about complaining about complaints never gets old.

(I decided to get in at the complaining about complaining about complaining about complaints level.)
  12. greg4android

If it makes ya feel better, join on it! LOL