Hmmm. activate my phone?

Last Updated:

1. verditsgerman

verditsgerman Active Member This Topic's Starter

Somewhat confused. I have root using unrEVOked3, running CM6, stock kernel, then did unrEVOked Forever, and the radio update (2.15) I noticed that my 3G is getting me like 200kbps, horrible, right? I thought maybe *228 would fix the problem. I noticed that the speedtest app was saying a server in Tacoma was the closest to me (2.8 mi) when really, I'm just south of Portland. When I try to do *228, I get a phone activation screen with no keypad on it. It says "Please wait while you phone is being programmed." and wants me to push 1 or 2, but since there is no keypad, this becomes impossible. If I back out to my app drawer and select Phone again, it brings up 3 options. One of them is to see the keypad. When I hit that, it just takes me back to the activation screen. I know I'm probably an idiot here, but I can't find a way to push a damn button. Any idears?

UPDATE** I should also mention that my wife has an unrooted DInc and she is getting better signal strength than I am with the phones side-by-bide.

UPDATE 2** Suspicions confirmed. I am indeed an idiot. Long pressed menu, got keyboard, facepalmed self.

Advertisement
  2. verditsgerman

verditsgerman Active Member This Topic's Starter

My apologies for putting this in the wrong forum. This should be in All Things Root.

3. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

I realize that you fixed this, but I thought I'd point out that the closest speedtest server on speedtest.net does not always equal fastest. Try all of them in your area and compare the results. Around here, I know for fact that the one closest to me gives me the worst results, regardless of whether I'm on wifi or 3g.