• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hold 'home' button to access shortcut menu

It's actually a list of your most recently used apps, not the most popular ones. But not the ones running unfortunately.

To find out what apps are running, I use Taskiller, which can also stop apps, but will show you all the ones running. To see what's running you could look at Spare Parts. This lists all apps running under "Battery History"

Upvote 0
isn't that cute!

NOW HOW DO I DISABLE THIS "FEATURE"!!!

stupid, stupid, stupid!!! I have Lock 2.0 to prevent this stupid phone from butt dialing, which helped slow down the instances of butt dialing, now i find that holding the home button bypasses the lock app and one of the most used items is of course the phone app. My wife is still butt dialing... OMG! such a frustrating problem i've been dealing with for 5+ years on windows mobile, android based htc phones.

BEFORE YOU RESPOND: i've heard all the dumbass "solutions" to the butt dialing problem: "get a case", "don't keep it in your pocket", etc... STFU and go read something else, this obviously doesn't concern you.

SOCIETY AGAINST BUTT DIALING

Upvote 0
the sprint hero design is more succeptable to this problem. although the flaw still exists on the original hero design. that flaw being, being able to press buttons to bypass the lock screen.

the pattern lock will prevent this, but i don't consider it a solution. there is already a lock screen, the pattern lock is more for security and is much more intrusive, time consuming, annoying.

"butt dialing" is when the phone inadvertantly turns on and performs some function, either calling or other events when in your pocket, purse, or wherever

not here to make friends, here to find solution... if you want to socialize I'd suggest a dating site. you should be upset by posts that don't advance a solution.

lol, just tried pattern lock again, as a last resort and there's a button on the screen to make an emergency call... OMG! too funny.

I just can't convey with anger, sarcasm, logic, or pleading how frustratingly simple this issue would be to avoid. The function is there already, "swipe the screen to unlock"... JUST DISABLE THE DAMN BUTTONS!!!

this will piss off a bunch of you on this thread, but I have to mention how wonderful the same feature works on the iphone. when its locked, its locked, no accidental calls... but the htc hero is my wifes phone, i have to find a solution.

Upvote 0
the sprint hero design is more succeptable to this problem. although the flaw still exists on the original hero design. that flaw being, being able to press buttons to bypass the lock screen.

the pattern lock will prevent this, but i don't consider it a solution. there is already a lock screen, the pattern lock is more for security and is much more intrusive, time consuming, annoying.

"butt dialing" is when the phone inadvertantly turns on and performs some function, either calling or other events when in your pocket, purse, or wherever

not here to make friends, here to find solution... if you want to socialize I'd suggest a dating site. you should be upset by posts that don't advance a solution.

lol, just tried pattern lock again, as a last resort and there's a button on the screen to make an emergency call... OMG! too funny.

I just can't convey with anger, sarcasm, logic, or pleading how frustratingly simple this issue would be to avoid. The function is there already, "swipe the screen to unlock"... JUST DISABLE THE DAMN BUTTONS!!!

this will piss off a bunch of you on this thread, but I have to mention how wonderful the same feature works on the iphone. when its locked, its locked, no accidental calls... but the htc hero is my wifes phone, i have to find a solution.

I understand why you think pressing "menu" bypasses the unlock screen, as I totally agree. It is completely stupid and pointless. And true, the iPhone unlock does work better.

But, please, calm down. Don't worry. Be happy.

Maybe it'll be sorted in 2.1, maybe.

Upvote 0

Android Forums is as much a community as a resource. I understand your frustration but bear in mind that these are user-to-user forums. You're more likely to receive assistance if you remain civil.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones