• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hold my hand for factory reset

Hi friends,

While I'm trying to decide what new phone to get, I'd like my D2G to at least work reliably. Someone suggested a factory reset because the thing is having all kinds of crazy problems (taking 15-20 seconds to connect when I make a call, not working with the bluetooth in my car, texts not coming through for days and then coming through all at once, freezing so I have to take the battery out, etc. etc.). The screen is cracked but I was having all of these problems long before that happened. The cracked screen hasn't seemed to affect anything.

I'm terrified of doing this because it's my only phone. I don't have a home phone anymore. I looked up the basic instructions on the Verizon website but I want someone to hold my hand :)

D2G ~2 years old
Verizon
USA

Welcome to Android Forums MrsJennyK.:)

The process is pretty simple. You do the factory reset and when you turn your phone on, it is like it came out of the box (no it won't fix the cracked screen:D).

Before you start, have you backed up anything important (SMS messages, pics, videos, music, etc). I don't think the reset will affect your pictures, videos, and music. But it can't hurt to back them up and be safe if they are important.

You will also want to make sure you remember your google account you used when you set it up.

Let me know. I'll be here to help and if something comes up I'm not sure of, I know a bunch of smart people I can ask to have a look.:)

Reactions: MrsJennyK
Upvote 0
I guess I need even more help than I thought!

I am not sure how to back up my stuff. I know how to get my pictures off. I do that all the time. I've never thought of backing up texts. I don't think I need to bother. I have 2 years worth of text messages on there! I don't need them.

I do know the Google account I used when I got the phone. Wish I could change that, but I'm guessing my apps won't recognize me then, right?

Also, the phone came with whatever OS was before Gingerbread. When I restart it, will it automatically update to Gingerbread?

Will I need to reactivate the phone through Verizon?

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I guess I need even more help than I thought!
having read your post, nope. You are way ahead of me when I joined. Rest at ease, when you finish you are going to think "that was it".;)

I am not sure how to back up my stuff. I know how to get my pictures off. I do that all the time. I've never thought of backing up texts. I don't think I need to bother. I have 2 years worth of text messages on there! I don't need them.
Your good to go here then. If you have taken your photos off that is the same things. If you don't need to back up SMS, then that's easy.:)

I do know the Google account I used when I got the phone. Wish I could change that, but I'm guessing my apps won't recognize me then, right?
Yes, you would lose access to all of your paid apps.:(

Also, the phone came with whatever OS was before Gingerbread. When I restart it, will it automatically update to Gingerbread?
Nope, it will not revert you to Froyo (frozen yogurt). I will just reset the version you have. Once you reset, it will gingerbread.

Will I need to reactivate the phone through Verizon?

Thanks for your help!
You won't need to reactivate with Verizon. After you do the factory reset it will ask you do sign in to your Google account. Once you do, you simply need to go to the market and re install your apps. You phone calls and SMS messaging will already be set up.

Reactions: MrsJennyK
Upvote 0
In your settings, there should be an option for backup and restore (I'm fuzzy on the name and I don't have a gingerbread device on me). Make sure it is checked and it will back up your contacts to your Google account. They will automatically sync back to your phone after the reset.

If you can wait a couple hours I'll check my old Droid 1 when I get home and get you the exact steps to verify.

Upvote 0
Glad I could do that :)

It's fun to have a sort of virgin phone again. Since I know more in general about the phone now than when I got it, I'm going through and setting things up the way I want them to be. I also just learned that I can install and uninstall apps from my desktop! That's cool. I'm adding my apps back in one by one and only adding back the ones I really like. So far the phone is working well. It's connecting to calls right away, the bluetooth is working with my car again, and it's just generally not doing weird stuff.

yay!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones