Hold the power button to turn on the phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. arnold92

arnold92 New Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 18, 2010

the worst thing about the nexus one is that you power on the phone by simply pressing the power button, not by *holding* it.

how can I just *check* if the phone is turned off?

e.g. when i go to a movie, i just want to double-check it's off, so i short-press power button but then if it's already off then i would instead be turning it on and have to wait for the long boot-up process.

i just can't "make sure it's off".

any workaround for this?

2. snakeybidder

snakeybidder Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Lol first time iveheard this complaint. You have two choices in my view.

1. Turn it on silent at the movies.

2. Root your phone and install cyanogen which allows wake or unlock with trackball instead of power button.
  3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Jan 20, 2010
    You can also download widgetlocker, it allows you to wake up your phone with the power button, no root require. Another good think with this app is that you can put widgets on your lock screen, so you can put the profile setting widget. No need to unlock the phone to do some basics function.
  4. susuanbo

susuanbo New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    i have the same problem. i used to turn off the phone when i go to bed (baby in my bedroom).

to turn off the phone, i need to hold the power button, choose power off and then touch the confirm button.

sometimes i get distracted by something else so i didn't touch the confirm button, then the phone goes to standby mode.

sometimes i do touch the confirm button so the phone goes powered off.

sometimes i thought i haven't confirmed powering off yet, so i short-press the power button to wake up the phone, but instead i actually powered it up and have to wait again....

in short, i just need to *confirm* my phone is off... but i can't even do this simple thing now... (i would accidentally turn it on instead)
  5. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I remember pondering this issue a good while ago, but pretty much every new ROM for the Nexus will have Trackball-wake at this point, so you can click the trackball to check if it's on.
    Other then using the trackball (either from a ROM or widgetlocker), I don't think there's a solution to this inconvenience.