• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hold the Verizon/HTC Accolades !

rdalev

Android Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2009
Fayette, Ga.
O.K. Just installed the latest OTA update and my phone is FUBAR!

Now let me say, since day one, I have had "NO" issues with my phone other than battery life which, over time improved! I really ,really like the Eris.......................................BUT.........................

After the 1st update in Dec. I experienced some issues with force closing, etc. which seem to work themselves out after a battery pull!

FF to yesterday, got the OTA update last night and ever since my phone won't do ANYTHING, seems just about everything force closes, can't make or recieve phone calls!

Examples:
com.android.phone has stopped
com.google.process.gapps has stopped
HTC Sense(process com.htc.launcher) has stopped

Just to name a few !

If this is considered an update, I'd rather they do nothing and just leave the phone as is. I was looking forward to Android 2.1, not so sure about it now, though!

Guess I be raising some Hell at Verizon tomorrow!

Signed, Pissed-off !:mad:

Sorry to hear that; it isn't the way things should be.

If the problem doesn't rectify itself with a cold start (shut down, pull battery, wait a little, replace battery, boot), then you have two options:

(1) Do a factory reset, re-install your apps, and see if the problem continues - if so, go to step (2).
(2) Go raise hell with Verizon.

I know you would rather not have to do anything, and just have your phone back the way it was - but since a VZW Tech is likely to want to do a factory reset and hand the phone back to you - its sort of like you will be just wasting your time trying step (2) before you try step (1).

There might be third option, which is going through your apps and clearing their data and cache areas individually (without doing a FR), but I really don't know if that will resolve anything - it might be just a waste of time.

good luck

eu1

Upvote 0
OTA fixed lockups and yes, things will go wrong. Rare instances happen in which people have problems. You are one of the few. There will be those on the forum who will come on here and say that the update caused all sorts of issues. This update did not break YouTube...that was already broken. It fixed one problem and one problem only. YouTube will be fixed very soon...just be patient or take your phone back and get something else like an ENV3 or some simple flip phone.

Upvote 0
OTA fixed lockups and yes, things will go wrong. Rare instances happen in which people have problems. You are one of the few. There will be those on the forum who will come on here and say that the update caused all sorts of issues. This update did not break YouTube...that was already broken. It fixed one problem and one problem only. YouTube will be fixed very soon...just be patient or take your phone back and get something else like an ENV3 or some simple flip phone.

Well it's frustrating when your phone is working just fine and the OTA (which fixes a problem you arent having) FUBAR's your phone. Happened to me as well. Did a batt pull, uninstalled some apps, and then had to do a hard reset to get it back. And I think a lot of us are beyond the return period and/or really like our Eris' and dont want to go back to a dumbphone. Have a little compassion for someone venting about a not-so-fun experience. Having been there I empathize (plus the fact I had to go to Verizon today because they screwed my upgrade date on my other line when I exchanged my Droid for the Eris- GRRR).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones