• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hold your horses, the Nexus line is here to stay

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Rumors of Google killing off its Nexus line in favor of an upcoming Android Silver program have been escalating in recent months. Guess nobody told Dave Burke, the guy in charge of the Nexus program and the head of Android engineering at Google. In an interview with ReadWrite, Burke finally laid to rest those ridiculous […]

More...

Great news!

The question is, what will they name the next phone after the Nexus 6 since there is already a tablet named Nexus 7?

I don't see that being an issue.

For the past 2 years they've been basing screen the naming scheme across the nexus brand on the screen size. So it'll likely still be the nexus 5 2014, or the nexus 5 2015, or the nexus 6 for a 6" screen ect.

The nexus 4 wasn't exactly a 4" screen, but that's been an exception rather than a rule. I think nexus phones will fall in line with their tablet counterparts for naming starting with the 5

Its an easy way to avoid the problem, and it greatly simplifies the nexus brand naming. You'd know a nexus 5 is a phone, a nexus 7, 8 or 10 is tablet, ect

Upvote 0
I don't see there being a problem. The last several nexus devices have been named by screen size, and not by sequential order.

Nexus 4 ( 4.7" / 2012), Nexus 5 (4.95" / 2013), Nexus 6 (5.96" / 2014), Nexus 7 (7" / 2012), Nexus 7 (7" / 2013), Nexus 9 (8.9" / 2014), Nexus 10 (10.05" / 2012).

We will likely have either a Nexus 5 (2015), or a Nexus 6 (2015), depending on the form factor Google chooses to go with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We will likely have either a Nexus 5 (2015), or a Nexus 6 (2015), depending on the form factor Google chooses to go with.

Please let it be a Nexus 5 (2015). I'm getting the itch to upgrade from my N4 but have less-than-no interest in the overly-large N6.

Edit: By the way, I went ahead and merged this discussion into an existing one since they covered a lot of the same information theories. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or Xiaomi - pretty interesting phones and probably only @mikedt has seen the real MIUI (pronounced me ui (you eye)). The videos on their skin are amazing. Because maybe some like the Nexus while others in the house might like a skinned phone.

(EarlyMon starts screaming beam me up into his communicator app before being vaporized by phaser fire!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones