• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hold your horses, the Nexus line is here to stay

Could you please de-bloat it entirely and include only the following apps -

Dialer, contacts, sms/mms, email, and web browser with embedded Flash support.

There's nothing that you can't do with a really good browser, you can even stream music and watch Netflix.

OK, except take pictures. Nobody cares about pictures of someone's lunch, your selfies prove that you're ugly, and it's the biggest part of the specs war for something that no one uses after the first week anyway.

Oh - and a skinny launcher please.

Without a Play Store and a bunch of things nobody needs or wants, there's no further need of that stupid app drawer that everyone is going on about.

Thanks for your consideration of these crucial suggestions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
bjacks...
so.. you are broke?
The only thing broke here is the right approach to the Nexus and @bjacks12 has the solution.

Don't like my no camera solution?

With the money you'll save on the Nexus 3, you'll be able to buy a camera.

Like this one. http://nofilmschool.com/2014/10/htc-unveils-re-camera-periscope-like-action-cam

And anything besides a cell phone for taking pictures makes you look cooler anyway.

And don't say it, I can guess - "But Early you need an app for that and the Nexus 3 doesn't have a Play Store!"

If you're one of those people who just has to have the app that's required for the camera and QuickPic because there's no gallery, you could root, you could try adb sideload. Or you could just visit the Play Store on the web browser and tell it to install that right to your new Nexus 3.

The Nexus 3. No bloatware. No Play Store. No Play Services. No Google Now. No wakelocks. Everything fits back into 1 GB of ram, never gets killed, and runs like a bat out of hell. Makes you look cooler.

Nothing broken about that!

Upvote 0
Could you please de-bloat it entirely and include only the following apps -

Dialer, contacts, sms/mms, email, and web browser with embedded Flash support.

There's nothing that you can't do with a really good browser, you can even stream music and watch Netflix.

OK, except take pictures. Nobody cares about pictures of someone's lunch, your selfies prove that you're ugly, and it's the biggest part of the specs war for something that no one uses after the first week anyway.

Oh - and a skinny launcher please.

Without a Play Store and a bunch of things nobody needs or wants, there's no further need of that stupid app drawer that everyone is going on about.

Thanks for your consideration of these crucial suggestions.

Of course. In addition, to extend battery life, we're not including LTE or HSPA connectivity. The changing nature of today's connection realities means that almost everybody is near WiFi most of the time. Why drain your battery for a redundant technology?

Upvote 0
Internal storage will only be 2 GB, but it has an SD card slot that can accept up to 32 GB.

Worried that 2GB isn't enough space for your apps? Don't! The Nexus 3 ships with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. No more SD card read/write permission troubles.
Actually, those chips would cost more due to lower availability.

The 8 GB chips are cheap. You could go to Android 4.3. No KitKat sd card complaints, no Lollipop notification complaints, so support costs consisting of the pesky email auto responder telling people that it's a user issue? Gone!

Cheaper hardware and no auto mailer costs.

Are you hiring?

Upvote 0
I got an inside look at bjacks' manufacturing process. I'm leaking the photos to Phandroid!

545550612_tp.jpg

Upvote 0
Just don't call OSHA on me.

With this new phone, I've solved a few problems/complaints:

1) Price
2) Size
3) Bloat
4) Redundancy

I feel like my excellent problem solving skills would make me an excellent fit for public service as a United States Congressman. Upon completion of a successful production run, I will formally announce my candidacy for the House of Representatives, representing Nevada's 4th district.

Upvote 0
This is exactly the kind of rumor mongering that cripples companies in this industry.

First you get someone all upset that it comes bundled with the correct number of apps for a smartphone. It has five, one for each finger because it has a touchscreen, duh! Unless you plan on holding it with your teeth and using two hands, or are one of those people taking "pictures" or "videos" it's all the apps you need.

But no, the comments in the featured news blog articles said it has zero and just like that, the floodgates open. :mad:

Then you get the people who have never used high tech or who wear metal helmets or something (we call them users) trying to use the product in place of construction materials.

We've worked hard to put a lot of quality into the Nexus 3, but I can promise you right now that no product is perfect.

The Nexus 3 is not - I repeat not - load-bearing. Please make a note of it. Thanks!

I guess seeing is believing. So, I'm just an intern here, I think that I can get away with the leaks. It's code named the m5-rc15, but this is the new Nexus 3.

nexusae0_Capture2.png

And if you just go wild and install some more apps, you can, and the "app drawer" will magically appear - as a drawer with a handle ok, none of this material malarkey!

Android_home.png

Looks pretty danged good, doesn't it? You bet your bippy it does, Bucko!

What's that? How can it have maps without a data plan?

The answer is simple - Starbucks.

That's right.

You don't need a map going on long straightaways from state to state, you need it where it's crowded. And wherever there's a crowd of confusion, there's a Starbucks. With wifi. Here's proof that it works -

20080331_TrivialGPS_M5_(RC_15)_(Android_Application).jpg

So shut your pie hole and be happy that we're giving you anything! :mad:

And yes, it's a Nexus, so you can unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, and root it. No idea why when we've thought of everything.

And for the nattering nabobs of negativism that can't fathom the Play Store on a mobile browser, we've made sure that works great, too.

1425578751953.jpg

1425578769631.jpg

So what's the complaint now?

Nothing, that's what.

Yeah. Nexus 3. So yeah.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones