HOLLA - Finally you can dictate texts!

Last Updated:

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator This Topic's Starter

As if Swype didn't speed things up enough, now there is an app that allows you to talk to your Droid and then it converts what you say into a text message or Facebook or Twitter entry.

It's called Holla and it is now on the market. The download is a whopping DOLLAR and uses the Google voice recognition engine built into the Droid. Speak slowly and clearly and it is quite accurate.

SO that's the second app I've paid for - and IMHO well worth the slight expense.

Granted, Holla isn't perfect (after all, it's brand new) and it won't come up as a text entry alternative for websites and messages. You have to open Holla, speak into it, and then direct the text to wherever it's going. But it's a useful tool, and more than just an interesting novelty. I can see it going very far as a must-have app this year.

This is bound to be very popular, so get onboard early! :D

Advertisement
  2. zoukis05

zoukis05 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty positive that SMSPopup and Handcent SMS both have this feature. And both of those are free.

3. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

I've tried a good number of speech-to-text apps and they seem to work only for those who sound like Optimus Prime. :D

4. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

Great find if it works for you. Some others will always say that X or Y works better cheaper, whatever. What I love about having the Droid come to VZW is that you actually get to choose for yourself.

Thanks for sharing your find :)

5. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

I have the one from "pwn on your phone" or whatever the software company is. works good, and its integrated into the KB.

6. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

I can sound like senor prime :) handscent works for this

7. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

If it's not a big rush, you should just wait for the 2.1 update. Voice recognition is built into the keyboard, and can be used in ANY app, not just for dictating texts.

8. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

It really is built right into the keyboard, its the button to to left of the spacebar with a picture of a mic on it and I use it ALL the time now. It works really well.

9. Turtledroid

Turtledroid Member

TalkToMe Keyboard (from Pwn with your Phone) integrates with all keyboards in all apps, and works great for me (what with me having fat thumbs and all).

10. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

yea.....i think ill just wait for 2.1.....too many apps for the same thing cant be a good thing

11. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

What i like about the TalkToMe Keyboard app is that it gives you predictive text and voice with the hardware keyboard ... sweet. Otherwise, yea 2.1 does incorporate voice features. I have more options than I know what to do with.

12. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator This Topic's Starter

Well, it looks like 2.1 is the thing to wait for. Till then, though, I think I'll be perfectly happy with Holla and Swype. I'm glad you guys have suitable apps for your Droids. Just passing on information here, I guess :)