• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Holy Smokes! High Data Usage by Android OS! [SOLVED]

I have the same problem - 2.11 gb in 7 days! I have tried to turn off all auto backups, but I don't know if I have found all of them, particularly since I emit wifi from my tablet to my laptop, so my laptop thinks I'm on wifi, while the reality is that it's all on 3g. Doesn't make sense to me that turning off backup and reset would solve the problem since it apparently only backs up program settings. I have a tab in setup on the tablet called Cloud, but when I select it I get a message saying "in progress" then setup crashes, so I can't get into the options for Cloud. This could be the culprit, but who knows??!!

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I just got a warning about my data limit from T-Mobile saying that I hit the 2Gb limit. I thought that this was kind of strange because I don't use that much data via 3g/4g because I am around WiFi most of the day!
I check the data monitor on my GNex and this is what I saw! In the space of one week, Android OS used almost a GIG of data!
Has anyone else out there had this sort of data consumption?!? Does anyone have a clue as to what could be the culprit?

Thanks,
RMFlagg

View attachment 27373

I'm having the same problem. But I don't use WiFi at all. In fact, I don't turn my data connection on very often, since I'm a student. So my problem is a big too. I believe we have the same problem. Do tell me if u find he solution.

Upvote 0
IMG_20150514_081028.jpg

Upvote 0
I know that Telegram show reasonable data usage in the settings but the massive data leak shown as "Android OS" should possibly be related to one of Telegram's network sockets. I've filed a bug to Telegram with more technical details: https://github.com/DrKLO/Telegram/issues/1089

That's why I want to learn if everybody here uses Telegram or not.

Uhh... Looks like you're on the spot. I too am on Vodafone in Turkey btw.

Upvote 0
I know that Telegram show reasonable data usage in the settings but the massive data leak shown as "Android OS" should possibly be related to one of Telegram's network sockets. I've filed a bug to Telegram with more technical details: https://github.com/DrKLO/Telegram/issues/1089

That's why I want to learn if everybody here uses Telegram or not.

Uhh... Looks like you're on the spot. I too am on Vodafone in Turkey btw.

Upvote 0
I just had same issue. I have 4gb monthly allowance and use about half. Suddenly told I used 80% with half month to go. In next couple hours send few emails and find I'm at 91%. Data usage on my galaxy s3 says I have used over 2gb on emails in two days which is impossible as I'm not using it for business just a few pals. My provider EE gave me a free 1gb but won't accept there can be an error. My tracker tells me, few hours on, I now used all my 4gb and a chunk of the extra 1gb. It's totally crazy so submitted complaint. Let you know what results.

Upvote 0
I deleted gmail from phone then reinstalled and problem hasn't recurred, but that may be unrelated as it actually abated before I did that. The trouble is my provider says their data use recording is perfect and blames it on google or samsung, but it's impossible to talk to a real person at those companies. Hope problem stays away.

Upvote 0
I deleted gmail from phone then reinstalled and problem hasn't recurred, but that may be unrelated as it actually abated before I did that. The trouble is my provider says their data use recording is perfect and blames it on google or samsung, but it's impossible to talk to a real person at those companies. Hope problem stays away.
now that I turned off backup data setting its relatively eating less data..I mean from last night it just took 481 kB..I also turned off sync in most of google stuff in Google account.. just have contacts and calendar to use sync also gmail.. u try this hope it keeps working with my phone

Upvote 0
I have a HTC 1 and the first day of my 10gb data plan the only thing I did was go on 1 web-sight using my hot spot for 15 minutes because I was going to use a debit card and it took .59gb. After turning the hot spot off I went back to WiFi. I called Verizon technical support and they told me that is not uncommon. This seams to be a lot of data for only 15 minutes of using my hot spot. I am technically challenged and dont understand all the jargon used. I am 60 and technology has passed me by so if you have any input keep it in layman's terms. I full time RV and use the hot spot only if WiFi is not found or if I need the security of my hot spot.

Upvote 0
EDIT:

It seems the Easy Access Service was a misnomer. The real problem was the system update failing to download due to insufficient space, and retrying over and over again. I disabled the service using info from http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...roid-system-update-and-stop-its-notifications and the issue has been resolved.

END EDIT

I'm having a similar issue with my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition on 4.4.4. The weird thing is, mine started at the very beginning of my current monthly data allowance and consumed a very regular amount of data every day.

I installed My Data Manager (I call it MDM) to i.d. the offending service under the "Android OS" blanket label. In my case it was the "Easy Access Service", which seems related to the gestures for waking the phone (oddly enough, I disabled the gestures entirely when I set up the phone).

I'm working on a solution (possibly removing the apk). I'll report what I can find, but for now, if anybody is still having this issue and is following this thread, I'd appreciate it if you would install MDM and let me know which service is hogging data so I can try to help troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Yes, my google backup is turned on. I wouldn't think that this feature should be using 2-300 MB per day.

Update: Disabling Google Backup fixed the data use issue. I doubt this is typical so I may re-enable at a later time to see if deleting my backup and starting over gives me a different result.

Need to contact Google/Android..This is rediculous on their behalf..mine used 3.5gigs in 3 days! Theirs no option to backup data over wifi..only over data. And if you disable data backup, it deletes everything already backed up off of Google servers smh.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2015-11-07-18-39-34.png

Screenshot_2015-11-07-18-39-44~01.png

I have the same problem. Never had turned on Google data backup, never turned on OTA, never had Telegram.
The first time was last month. See screenshots. Today it happened again. I start to think it has to do with a good WiFi connection that has no internet connection. Or the internet connection of the WIFI router/access point is unstable, while the mobile data is not turned off manually.
I installed the My data manager, but so far useless as it only states 'android OS' and does not give the details of what app inside it is the one that causes the bulk of data download AND upload!

Upvote 0
Ok, this is nuts! Does anyone know where and/or who I could contact about this problem? This is getting pretty serious as you can see by the screen caps below.
I need to talk to someone at Google to find out what is going on! This is going to crush my data caps in a couple of weeks!

View attachment 27544

View attachment 27545

View attachment 27546
Unfortunately here in the UK I found T-Mobile unresponsive, saying their data measuring was accurate and that if my gmail appeared to use massive data for no reason then I must contact google or Samsung - yeh, good luck with talking to a human there, eh? T-Mob did give me 1gb free and a promise of a second if the issue continued, but later became abusive but I eventually got a nice tech dude who was baffled but did give me that 2nd gig. Thankfully, the issue suddenly stopped as swiftly as it had begun.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones