• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HOLY WIFI tether!

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
Speeds from my ZTE Merit running on wifi tether are

3.45Mbps down, .30 Mbps up. that's twice what my home internet is! my only problem is why my phone is not always this fast. a few days ago i was barely breaking 256Kbps down

another problem is why i can't tap into this on my PS3. my Xbox Slim does work with it but my PS3 refuses to see the AP on the phone. i tried entering the SSID manually and both static/dynamic IP and no dice :(

i see no such option on either device. i tried to make a bridge to make my tethered laptop (which gets internet from the phone) bridge wlan0 to eth0 but all it spits out is:

Cannot add wlan0 to bridge br0: operation not supported

unfortunately my home internet is dead. and if the PS3 won't work via wifi, it has to use wired. and i cannot for the life of me make my laptop share the wireless connection over the wired. i can the other way around but that would not work unless the internet came from a wired source. i am trying to reverse it.

if there is a way to make my laptop use the wireless for the internet (by connecting to the phone tether) and share that connection to the wired interface, i may just save myself $40 per month on internet bills by being able to cancel the service (and the frustration since it often dies completely the entire winter and they refuse to fix the problem and blame me), but nothing i have tried works.

what i'd like to do is this:

Phone wifi tether --> wlan0 on laptop --> eth0 from laptop to device using wired ethernet/router. i think my old distro of Mandriva does this but i'd have to wipe out my Kubuntu install to do so

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones