Home/Menu/Back/Search button backlightSupport

Last Updated:

1. nhladdict

nhladdict Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone have a problem with the backlight on the Home/Menu/Back/seach buttons. On my Incredible sometimes they come on when I bring it out of sleep and stay on. Other times they don't come on at all. Sometimes they just come on in the middle of doing something on the phone.

Have added some apps from the market but can't remember if it was like this from the start. Did a reboot and battery pull but it's still occuring.

I have also had a couple phantom reboots when in sleep mode so not sure if it's related.

It's early enough to do a total factory reset but I thought I see if any one had this problem and or fix.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement
  2. tjubb

tjubb Active Member

My button lights seems to have a mind of their own too. Sometimes they are on, sometimes off. The tactile feedback seems to come and go to even though I have it disabled. Could possibly be the use of task killer. I removed mine this morning and will see how it goes today.

3. phorts

phorts Well-Known Member

i havent noticed what you're experiencing, but i do feel sometimes they're too bright and wish they would coordinate with the screen brightness..

but not a major thing. i'll keep an eye on their behavior though..

4. jcap

jcap Member

I'm curious about this too, as I've noticed the same thing. On another forum, someone suggested that the soft button backlights are sensitive to ambient light. I played around with this a little bit and found that if I woke the phone in a well-lit area, then moved to a darker area, the buttons came on. But, after they had come on, they did not go off when I moved back to the well-lit area. Anyway, it would be nice if there was a way to control the soft button backlight in the same way as screen brightness.

5. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

It is the light sensor. This, i'm assuming, is to prevent unnecessary battery use. If bright-lit areas youre buttons will NOT lightup, however in darker areas where the backlight is needed, it will.

6. nhladdict

nhladdict Member This Topic's Starter

I checked my settings menu and the phone is set on Auto Brightness which makes what Woop described about the lighting conditions correct. The phone is deciding when to turn on the backlight according to the lighting conditions.

Thanks everyone for your help.

7. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

yeah....i've had it "asleep" and seen them light up, then i will keep looking at the screen assuming the phone is about to ring, but doesn't. Only happened a few times, I will just assume it's doing it's exercises to stay strong for me :)

8. TimeHunter

TimeHunter Member

Well, I admit it is annoying, but if you cover the top part of the phone (where the earpiece speaker is) for about 5 seconds, the button backlight will turn on.

Software it isn't, but work it does.

Jessicajil likes this.
  9. franciscojunior

franciscojunior Member

Do you have an idea about how to turn them off? Or at least change the sensitivity of the sensor? Because I think they stay on too much even on places where the visibility is ok for me. :(

I think this is helping to drain too much battery.

10. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I think the "auto brightness" is for the screen. I don't believe you can change the auto on/off for the backlighting of the soft keys

11. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

I doubt it's really affecting your battery that much

12. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

13. franciscojunior

franciscojunior Member

Yes, it is. Because most of the time, when I'm using the phone, it is turned on. On 2.0 I could get one day and a half with a single charge. Now the charge barely lasts one day though. :(

14. elou75

elou75 Well-Known Member

Time hunter thanks for ur tip. I got the desire s today for my partner but the menu buttons ect, don't light at all. Until I covered the top of the phone. Top tip :-D I think I shall take the phone back tomorrow though. But at least I can c the buttons till then.

15. Jessicajil

Jessicajil New Member

The first time I tried this it worked after holding my hand over the sensor for about five seconds; however, after putting it into 'sleep' mode and then turning it back on, I cannot get it to work at all. But at least it's something to try even if it's tedious!

16. shaa

shaa New Member

go to setting, Display, Brightness, check Autoatic brightness box, hit Ok, go bak by pressing the back bottun to ideal screen, and then press and hold power key and restart your phone you will be Ok...

17. elou75

elou75 Well-Known Member

Thanks shaa, unfortunately this hasn't worked for me.