Home Replacement AppsSupport

Last Updated:

1. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Android Applications forum keeps misleading me because people talk about apps and features that aren't available in Android 1.5, so I thought I'd ask the other Moment owners about home replacement apps. I think I'd like something, but I'm really hesitant to pay for one that I may not like, and I also worry that I'd not really understand all I could do with one and therefore not truly appreciate it.

I've also seen very mixed reviews on nearly every home replacement app.

So I'm curious about the opinions of other Moment owners on these home replacement apps and also if there are any good places for thorough information on them.

Advertisement
  2. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

I bought GDE and the "Cube" transition between screens is worth the paltry cost by itself. See it in action on YouTube.

3. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

Currently ive been using a mixture of GDE and sweeterhome. Ive also used openhome and pandahome. All of theme are awesome home replacements but honestly right now id recommend Pandahome because of the fact its free. I also like Sweeterhome because of how customizable it is but it needs to get a little more stable before id recommend it.

4. natedawg

natedawg New Member

Pandahome for me. Free app. Choose how many homescreens you want. Slide out dockbars available for apps you want to be able to access from any of your homescreens.

5. flu13

I've toyed with PandaHome in the past and it seemed slightly flaky at times, but I suppose it is a work in progress. I tried out SweeterHome P2 earlier, but it kept making my screen go black for a good 60 seconds at a time.

6. Eric-VTX

Eric-VTX Well-Known Member

I'm also interested, but very hesitant as I may break my phone? lol
    does anyone have a clip on youtube so i can see how good pandahome is and the advantages vs. stock ap. And also if could give reviews for samsung moment. thanks,:)

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I'm rocking dxtop. I love it. No hangups, not really any lag, and the one flick to any screen is nice.

8. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

I can say I've tried pretty much all of the home replacement apps, including GDE, dxtop, Pandahome, Openhome, Sweeterhome, and the one I keep going back to is aHome (in conjunction with BetterCut). The features I like the most are, the static row of 4 icons on the bottom of the screen that stay even when swiping left/right. Also, with aHome and bettercut, I love that I can longpress on any icon and change the Text, Icon pic, or even uninstall the program associated with the icon-- all from that one pop up.
    The import/export features are cool too, so when I go to try out another home replcment app, I can always export my ahome settings/icons and import them back in if anything gets screwy.
    I really don't even mess with the themes that much because I've customized all of my icons and fonts (with icon packs, font packs and the ahome settings).

9. speedy0307

speedy0307 Member

I loooove SH2 but to the point made earlier, it is still a lil unstable and slow. But the customization is unmatched by any other replacement software. It does have a steep learning curve too, but really is a remarkable piece of software.

10. flu13

Anyone know how much they intend to charge for SweeterHome when released?

11. flu13

Decalex, after reading your post, I looked up aHome. I've avoided paid apps up until now, and I assumed that aHome was a paid app. Then I discovered that for Android 1.5, there is aHome Lite, which is free. Pretty cool in the 10 minutes I've played with it, although I can't figure out how to add widgets other than the few it offers me, and I can't figure out how to add more screens. Definitely has promise, though.

12. Eric-VTX

Eric-VTX Well-Known Member

I think I will wait for the 2.1 up date to see what are the options? Thanks on my part? right now I's trying to figure out why i'm not getting any email notification on the header...But that's on another thread...thanks!

13. MrGadget256

MrGadget256 Well-Known Member

I'm trying slidescreen, not exactly a home replacement, but I'm liking it.

14. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

I think the easiest way to add home screens to to holddown an icon and drag it to the right-- it'll automatically give you a new screen. By standard, i dont think it offers too many widgets (which I like, because it's less bulky). I do, however, love their digital clock widget, which you can add multiple instances of and customize the colors for each (unlike beautiful widgets, for example, which change all instances).

15. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Well, I tried using it as an actual HOME replacement. Not just an app, and I must say, though meant for social networking stuff mainly, it works alright. It's a different look at the home screen, but if you're a heavy texter (mainly female) it's perfect for that. But yea, it's not for me like it was for you. I'm not going to continue using it, simply because it's not what I need.

16. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Why not try out PandaHome? I'm using it, free, very nice so far.

17. flu13

PandaHome had some quirks that turned me off a little bit.

So with aHome, is there no way to add other widgets? Like my Sprint NFL widget and stuff?

18. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

You can do all that with dxTop. Plus you get 5 icons instead of 4, and the dual draw is nice.

19. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

i tried ahome, pandahome, openhome, and dxtop.

i settled on gde. because it's better than all of those for me. the bottom "app drawer" button becomes a 3 button configuration that you can customize with skins and whichever buttons you choose that also remain static regardless of which screen youre on. the themes arent as numerous but they are very well done. the continuous scroll is nice when combined with any of the transition methods. and fling scrolling is sharp. you can have up to 7 screens, bettercut works with it, as do many of the widgets that say they are "open home or ahome only". but the real icing is the on screen application dock widgets, which you can put on any screen in any location and have lord knows how many apps in each one. i dont know, because i havent filled one up yet. but i have 10 on one right now. those things are awesome.

also, pandahome has never not been extremely laggy and choppy on transitions among other things everytime i try to use it. plus its huge compared to gde. gde=281 kb. pandahome=1.52 mb it's just really slow for me. openhome was better, but limited. just like ahome. dxtop is good if you only want 4 screens. i don't.

20. juanstah

juanstah Active Member

All the home replacements I've tried including sweeterhome end up crashing my phone or producing lag. The only one that seems to work for me is Advanced Task Switcher. At just around a megabyte , the memory foot print is small. Though it doesn't have all the UI features that the other HR's have, I can have up to 10 home screens and create additional submenus and folders allowing me to organize my apps in a "Blackberry" like way. It's also free.

21. flu13

Thanks for all this feedback, everyone. It's pretty clear that there's not one best home replacement, and that it comes down to personal preference.

I agree about PandaHome being laggy and choppy. And really, I don't trust any app that contains improper grammar (When you change the number of screens, it gives you some message like, "It have to restart now").

So it sounds to me like these are the contenders. Juanstah, I think you actually mean Advanced Launcher?

PandaHome - free - Allows up to 11 screens. Themes. Dockbars.
    aHome Lite - free
    dxTop - $2.99
    gde - €2.25
    SweeterHome - free beta
    OpenHome Full - $3.99
    OpenHome Lite - free
    Advanced Launcher - free - Allows up to 10 screens, allows organization of app drawer.

Maybe we can compile some information here to get a nice, comprehensive comparison. Feel free to copy/paste the above and add more info to it.

22. mikelcan

mikelcan Member

+1 on the personal preference comment. That is part of the beauty of this platform is the ability to chose and customize to your on liking.

On the bad grammer comment remember that English might not be the first language for many programmers. That does not mean the code is bad. It usually mean that they used a translator program to convert from their native language to English.

Mike

23. SITH

SITH Well-Known Member

I've been using openhome. I get force closes but it is pretty easy to use. My phone has the CL14 updates that I installed myself, along with the ZE09.1...And It's partially rooted. It def runs better than stock out of the box.

24. flu13

I fully understand that, but I would think that when producing software for mass consumption, you would want to dot every i and cross every t, and you might engage one of the 400 million or so people on this planet for whom English is their primary language to get things just right. To me, the amount of attention to detail in an app is an indicator of the amount of quality in the app. I sometimes have to translate things into French for some of my Canadian business associates, and I certainly don't trust it to anyone other than someone completely fluent in French.

That said, if the app was phenomenal beyond that, it would be different, but I ran into a lot of issues with the dockbars when I tried it out, and it all just left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

25. juanstah

juanstah Active Member

Indeed. It's small in size but light on its feet. :)