Home Screen resets to stockGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Baltimoretint

Baltimoretint Well-Known Member

First let me start by saying Im very happy with the M8 overall, but I am having a problem after I setup my home screens for some reason randomy they are reverting back to stock all of the apps I downloaded are still there in my apps it doesn't delete them just reverts back to all stock home screens a little irritating after setting them up . anyone else ?

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Do you mean that the app icons on the screen are reverting back to stock, or that the phone is reverting back to the default screen? (You can probably choose which screen comes up when you press the home button.) If the apps you put on a screen disappear and the stock apps are replacing them, I'd say you have a defective phone.
  3. today

today Well-Known Member

Or your Google account could be bringing your app data backup settings from your previous device and confusing your new device. Just a shot from the hip though.
  4. Baltimoretint

Yes the icons on all of the screens are reverting back it has done it twice.
  5. AdamL

AdamL New Member

I'm having the exact same problem with my brand new M8. I spent a good bit of time customizing the phone, getting all the apps, widgets, and shortcuts just where I wanted them and then all of the sudden the phone goes back to the same configuration of apps and widgets it had when I turned it on for the first time. This has happened twice now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  6. Baltimoretint

Well Im a little bit glad someone else is having the same prob. so that if it is a issue with multiple devices, it will bring awareness to the issue so that it may be solved quickly !
  7. Baltimoretint

I did find out something when you clear Blink Feed or force stop it that has reset all of the home screens back to stock, not sure yet how Blink Feed is integrated but I don't want to use it nor do I want it at all, don't kn ow if that is a option.
  8. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

You can remove Blinkfeed. From your home screen or blinkfeed, zoom out by doing the opposite of pinch-to-zoom, essentially putting two fingers wide on the screen and pinching them together.

You should get a home screen page layout at the top which you can customize. Long press on the Blinkfeed page and drag it to the remove/trash at the top right.

I'm not sure this will solve your original problem, but if it was caused by Blinkfeed and accidentally choosing those Blinkfeed options, maybe it will.

I'm from Baltimore too by the way... Go O's! (It's Opening Day!)
  9. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

It's opening day here in Pittsburgh too, Go Bucko's!! :p

I worked on Calvert St. and Mosher St. when I lived in MD. Loved my job when I worked there too. :)
  10. Tlicious1020

Tlicious1020 On Probation

The Sprint apps returning and your home screen setup changing is a Google backup problem I believe as well. Has nothing to do with the M8. This happened on the M7 as well. Try turning off backup and automatic restore.

I prefer gcloud, but it doesn't do apps. Would be nice if it did.

When it reverted the other day I got pissed because it automatically downloaded al of these apps from Sprint. I uninstalled them. I don't need Scout, Lookout, or any other apps Sprint thinks is important.

For the most part, if you need to back up your phone because a reset becomes necessary. You can always back it up at that moment and you'll be fine.
  11. AdamL

AdamL New Member

For what it's worth I haven't had this problem since and everything seems to be working well.
    KOLIO likes this.
  12. xPhantom

xPhantom Well-Known Member

I just experienced this issue today on my Sprint M8. I was just doing a normal reboot of the phone, and when it turned back on, all of my screens were back to the default configuration like how they were out of the box. All of my downloaded apps were still there though. This makes me nervous to ever turn my phone off or restart it again...
  13. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

Settings > backup and reset >turn off automatic backup and disable app data and settings restore.

Now change your home screen and restart. Does the issue persist?
  14. xPhantom

Did you do anything different for it to stop happening?

I have my backup account set to HTC backup and not Google backup. Are you saying I should switch to Google and disable it so that it clears whatever is on the server?
  15. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

I would disable it completely and see if it resolves your issue. If it does, re-enable and switch to Google backup and see if the issue comes back.
  16. Tlicious1020

Tlicious1020 On Probation

I haven't encountered the problem again due to turning off auto restore/backup. It would even install apps again that I uninstalled. After turning backup off, it stopped.
  17. xPhantom

I decided to take the OTA and see whether or not the problem would happen again after rebooting from the update. I was relieved when the phone restarted to see that my home screens did not get reset... so I'm not sure if the issue will happen again. Time will tell.