Home++ versus stock launcher/OS

Last Updated:

1. SeanBond

SeanBond Member This Topic's Starter

I have had my Nexus One for a couple of months now, and I'm a little concerned about something.

The novelty of the live wallpapers wore off, and I've been using the Home++ home replacement app and I've noticed it is a LOT smoother (especially when sliding between screens) than the stock launcher.

Anyone have any info on this? It bothers me that the stock OS is as sluggish as it is.

Advertisement
  2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Well live wallpaper uses up more of the RAM than static wallpaper. If you have normal wallpaper on the stock launcher, you should notice that it's smoother compare to live wallpaper being used.

3. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Yeah but it IS true that the stock 2.1 launcher is a bit sluggish in general. I switched to HelixLauncher for that reason as well and it's been alot more responsive even in situations with heavy syncing and multitasking :)
    But yeah the main advice would be to disable live wallpapers, the novelty wears off quickly anyway.

4. Roze

NEVER! I love my live wallpaper :D My favourite are Starfield (reminds me of the intro to Star Wars) and Shake Them All (game+ wallpaper = touchdown)

I've noticed that there's more lag with Helix2+wallpaper than stock launcher+wallpaper :/

5. Forge94

Forge94 Well-Known Member

I love it. You sacrifice the battery sucking wallpapers and the cool app drawer for speed and usability.
    Home screen scrolling on the regular launcher was one of my pet hates, but home++ fixes it.
    Its also very stable for a beta too.

6. Roze

My favourite saying when my friends see me sporting 4"+ heels, 'It's all in the name of beauty'. I love the live wallpaper and the app drawer :D Actually Starfield is quite good on the battery...what I sacrafice is mostly speed :(

What functionality dose the home++ launcher give you?

7. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I must admit I'm a bit of a starfield fan aswell. Whenever I'm scrolling through home and get distracted or absent minded (yeah, I can't keep my head on straight :p), I'm just like "uhmmmmm..... WARPSPEEEED! Whoosh!" :D

Anyone who tried both home++ and Helix want to compare the 2? I fell in love with the snappy scrolling and app dock of helix and I'm running low on space so I don't wanna download another home app :s

8. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I had to uninstall Home++ because of the app drawer.. it took FOREVER to load 85% of the time... I don't have all my apps on the home screens so I need to get to the app list QUICK!

9. Roze

I was bored and decided to put 10,000 stars and with high speed...man all I can say STARS ATTACK XD

+ I'd want to hear that too! :)

I have 51 MB left...I hope froyo will open up more of the unused RAM for us to use or have apps2SD >_> I'm trying to be careful with the apps I dl now :(

10. ragingyeti

ragingyeti Well-Known Member

I tried both helix and home++ and have to say home++ is my favorite of the two. It's faster, and does more than just add icons to the sides of the app drawer, its more of a complete overhaul of the launcher system. If you want specific apps permanently on the bottom, then helix is the way to go, but home++ is still pretty customizable and like I mentioned earlier, I found it to be faster. I also like the way everything is organized with home++. It all comes down to personalpreference at this point, so I would try both and figure out what works better for you, just uninstall the other one. I'm waiting for the new froyo launcher, it looks pretty cool.

Teknologic and Roze like this.