HomeBrew Android?

Last Updated:

1. pielover375

pielover375 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, All.

I am, by nature, a curious fellow. I like to tear things apart and and build things. My basement always smells like solder.

At any rate, I want to build my own Android device. Would this be possible, and, if so, where could I go for information?

Many Google searches have landed me nowhere, so I came here for a bit of human interaction. Please help.

Advertisement
  2. rleal2010

rleal2010 Well-Known Member

Well you would need to learn how to make drivers so your android platform can run correctly on your phones hardware (accessing the display/camera/keyboard/etc).

try android.com

Also, try buying a phone, and studying its driver source. Buy a phone that its manufacturer has released it source for the proprietary drivers. :)

Then open that phone up and study its structure. Try reassembling it back together and then try making a phone similar to where everything is placed.

I would first learn how to make a basic phone if this is your first time because you will waste alot of time (and good parts) trying to do the BIG things and skipping the SMALL things

3. liqdfire

liqdfire Member

you can run android on a beagleboard

4. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

5. fjdouse

fjdouse Active Member

The handheld Odroid-S looks interesting too, comes with all the schematics and debug board. I think the price for that is quite good considering it's many possibilities.

http://www.hardkernel.com/store.php

6. steve500

steve500 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the information...

Glad there is a thread on this.

2.2 has been ported to beagleboard.

Planning on using beagleboard to build a nicer non-windows based media/navigation system in my trucks dash in the most OEM foolproof feel possible..