1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Homeless Kernel 1.0

1. kanaida

kanaida Well-Known Member

Hey guys, made a kernel to fill the other side of the coin. Thanks to PG for the help on packing it up and stuff :D

It's meant to go with my LG Esteem Optimizer, although it can be used alone as well.

It's focus is battery life cause 8 hours is just a wee bit too short for me, and since the gingersteem rom is pretty speedy, adding this kernel just helps it out so it's about 12 hours of normal use. At the moment it doesn't have overclocking or anything fancy. When combined with the optimizer I've gotten 25 hours on the stock battery :D

The homeless kernel is meant to be thrifty, but can still run fast enough from stray dogs in dark alleys lol ;)

Homeless Kernel v1.0
    MIRROR 1

Source code available on GitHub

-Built from LG Source
    -Currently being tweaked to find best stuff, i'll post new versions as I find stuff.

Sorry I had to use mediafire to post it, ugh. But for some reason I couldn't upload the attachment here.

Homeless Kernel 1.2
    2/26/2012
    -Changed from low resolution timer GP_TIMER to high resolution DG_TIMER after looking at some stuff, it's experimental at the moment, testing it out.
    -Removed some junk from the kernel
    -Enabled Adaptive Voltage scaling (possibly to save more battery)
    -Enabled experimental UACCESS_WITH_MEMCPY (possibly speed some stuff up)

kanaida.homeles.v1.3.zip
    2/29/2012
    -Fixed something I did by accident hehe ;)
    -This new kernel has given me 10h 15Min on an extended battery with 75% left so far
    -Keeps the new additions in 1.2, fixes the lower battery life regression :)

Advertisement
    Memo35, reddarin, Vinzo and 38 others like this.
  2. mrpnut

mrpnut THE WORLD IS YOURS Guide

can i flashed this over gingersteem EXTREME rom:d
  3. synergy7

synergy7 Well-Known Member

awesome. definetly something i can give a home too. thanks for the hard work man.
  4. jvillejoe

jvillejoe Well-Known Member

+1^ Also what about Hdmi? Is it working with this kernel? Thanks!
  5. revogozoom

revogozoom Well-Known Member

LOL nice name for the kernel.
  6. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

What speed ?
  7. revogozoom

Id bet its 1024 Im about to flash it and find out. :p
  8. jreal561

jreal561 Well-Known Member

Can I install this even though I have zvc or no?? And h0ow do I do it
  9. revogozoom

You cant install anything with ZVC you must first downgrade to ZVB and run the root/cwm script to get CWM on your phone then you can flash stuff :p
  10. compubahn

compubahn Well-Known Member

How does it accomplish better battery life? Is it undervolted? Does HDMI work?

Looking forward to future updates with (hopefully) modest overclocking cpu slots ;) I only go as high as 1.5 ghz now. Just a few games that could use the extra help now and then. Normal tasks run fine without overclocking.

Thanks for your work on this :D It's great to see the community coming alive for the esteem.
  11. PRkid

PRkid Well-Known Member

12 hours of normal use? With how many mAh of battery? It can't be with the stock battery, lol.
  12. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

Yeah its possible it could be.
  13. revogozoom

I get 12+ on a stock battery with gingersteem running 1200 mhz so its more than believable.
  14. kanaida

Thanks. Ill add more details in the notes later to give a better description. It's a work in progress but so far I default to the deadline io scheduler and tweaked some power management components around. Haven't tried HDMI yet but I will :) everything else seems to work perfectly as well, nothing funny and I've used it for a day or so. Bluetooth and all.
  15. ManlyParasite

ManlyParasite Well-Known Member

I can definitely see myself using this, I don't get many chances to charge my phone, never home till late at night, so longer battery life is more than welcome lol
  16. LDrifta

LDrifta No Stranger 2 Danger Guide

great news!!!! it will be my official kernel for any rom lol, i never oc my device and battery life is o so important to me lol, thanks a lot dude!!
  17. kanaida

Haven't tried, but it should. I use gingersteem. Hey sorry guys I posted in wrong section so the real post is all things root :)
  18. LDrifta

what games do you play that require oc'ing? im just genuinly curious lol if its a good game than ill pobly get it haha
  19. kanaida

1500mAh, stock battery. No battery saver apps, task killers, memory managers, just my Lg esteem optimizer with it's passive startup tweaks. I'm trying to get the gingersteem rom to get as much as I did with the stock rom so far (up to about 17 hours of light use on one charge.)
  20. drtobaggan

drtobaggan Well-Known Member

what are the instructions for this? can I just flash it on Gingersteem Extreem without clearing anything?

Great stuff! I need battery life a lot more then power! Thanks!
  21. compubahn

compubahn Well-Known Member

I'm not a hardcore gamer. I play the simple stuff with my 7 year old son. But games like battle heart wind-up knight, need for speed shift, air attack hd, home run battle 3d, riptide, raging thunder, trial x, and nanosaur 2 all run smoother with a little help from overclocking. Android has saved me the expense of a true gaming system. Between my phone and tablets, I'm good :D
  22. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

Keep it up !!
  23. revogozoom

Just installed this kernel, will post up this evening with results. A 1200 setting would be great ;)
  24. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

At least 1500 MHz would be cool.
  25. LDrifta

thats awesome!! good enough reason for oc'ing the device!!
    sadly i dont have time for gaming anymore so all i need is battery life lol

but ill admit when i found out gta3 was an app i had to try it... ran pretty decent without oc'ing so i bet it would be awesome with a lil cpu kick!! lol