Homescreen app

Last Updated:

1. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I know we're getting 5 homescreens in 2.1...still no idea when we'll get that update! last I heard Motorola was in their final testing phase and at that Nexus One conference the head of Moto said the same..within a few days it should have been ported. Har har we all knew that wasn't happening that quick :)

I've got my 3 homescreens maxed, and I really would like to use a homescreen app to have more. I don't want to sacrifice stability and I don't need crazy features, I'm simply looking to just go up to 5-7 screens so I can test some larger widgets out in the meantime. I'm not rooted and I don't really want to either. What's best? Home++?

Advertisement
  2. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

I use GDE and it has run flawlessly on my phone from day one. The two things I would recomend is 1 Try them all to find out witch one you like cause its free for 24 hours and 2 make sure you remove everything from all 3 stock screens before you install a home app.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

You're asking about the most subjective question out there. For simplicity, installing Home++ and just bumping it up to 4 or 5 screens would be easy. There is another bare-bones home-replacement app on the Market with 5 screens ... I think it's Launcher+ beta, but I'm not 100% positive.

4. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

I used Launcher+ beta for a while, it served it's purpose but it gave me some problems at the time. It's probably been updated since then so it might be worth a shot.

5. jdldf

jdldf Active Member

You can also download the 2.1 launcher that will give you the 5 homescreens with the 3d app drawer. I had this and it looks great. However it is still a bit laggy at some points and at other times just as fast as the stock.

6. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Yes, launcher plus beta gives up to seven screens, you do not need to be rooted to run.

7. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Launcher+ is your best option. It works okay, sometimes it runs fine and others it FCs a lot. Don't use the 2.1 launcher. It uses tons of RAM in its current state. Because of that, background processes get closed much faster.

8. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Do any of these leave the bare-functionality there though? Like I still want the standard App drawer on the bottom and the notification bar at the top etc. I see some of those have all these "favorite" bars they add to the bottom. I simply just want more screens and as close to stock as possible.

9. Malkyri

Malkyri Guest

Launcher+ beta is what you are looking for then. Only thing it changes is the number of home screens. Every thing else operates like stock from what I can tell. Although like the others I've had a FC from time to time but nothing that can't be managed.

10. SteveRyan

SteveRyan Well-Known Member

You should just go with Home++. It is easy to use and pretty stable. One thing I like about it is that if there is a force close, it reloads instantly. I used to use Panda Home (11 screens!), but the force close was a blackout and the latest update brought many issues and fc's.

11. TivoTron

TivoTron Active Member

Agree. Have been on Home++ for 2 weeks now, and it's great. No real issues.

12. SoylentColeslaw

SoylentColeslaw Member

I've been using GDE for at least 2 months at this point and I've got no complaints. Admittedly, I only use 2 widgets (power control and a small one that displays the date), and that helps my speed since I use 6 homescreens, but it has been very stable all that time. Plus, there are standard 2.0 themes that leave the drawer exactly as is, only adding 2 additional buttons to the left and right.

13. messenger13

And then when you're tired of messing around and want to run with the Big Dogs . . .

You can install Sweeter Home Preview 2! [​IMG] My DrPepper theme. [​IMG]

14. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Hey Joe, I think you may be slightly addicted (1300+ posts) to the Droid, forum, SH2, etc. :eek:

Have you considered getting help? :p

15. messenger13

Is there a forum you recommend? :D

16. ccousinsjr

ccousinsjr Well-Known Member

If you like the 2.1 concept, find Launcher2.apk somewhere out there on the interwebs...

I'm using dxTop and it's a good home replacement if you just need 4 screens.