• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Homescreen still slow redrawing

hexon

Jan 25, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Some people have problems with their homescreen redrawing slowly and others don't. I've had problems since 2.1 using stock, helix 1 & 2, and now launcherpro. I'm currently using a 2.2 ROM and still having issues. I loaded on the cyanogen mod spartparts.apk to utilize the keep homescreen in memory feature, but it doesn't help at all, and I've also used the fix permissions feature in rom manager to no avail. Has anyone found a fix for this? Even the normal, non widget, icons take a few seconds to pop up sometimes.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/98469-droid-lag-out-controll.html

Clearing my cache for all my programs seemed to speed up the phone for me. It's been doing better than it was.

Also, it seems like after a certain number of widgets, the droid can't handle it and always has to redraw the home screen. I got rid of one of mine, cleared the cache, and it's been doing a lot better.

Stock 2.1 - Widgets: Bluetooth on/off, News and Weather, Digiclock widget, Engadget, weatherbug elite, sleep mode widget, advanced task manager.

Upvote 0
I've chalked this up to isses with post 2.1 Android. Because I never had any launcher lag with pre 2.1. I started using LauncherPro when I installed NexBeast v0.1.1 (FRF57 2.2) last week and it helped a lot until the dev really broke his launcher in the last 2 updates in the past 24 hours (one yesterday and one this morning). I'm using Spare Parts too with the "keep launcher in memory" option selected (which has never helped me anyways). I'm also running the same widgets as Clintiepoo (minus the clock and Beautiful Widgets besides News and Weather).

I've always wiped data and cashe twice in CW Recovery when switching ROMs, so I know that's not the issue for me.

Upvote 0
I'm stock 2.1 and have noticed this happening periodically with LauncherPro. I've noticed that it usually happens when I have been using Dolphin HD for more than 15-20 minutes and then exit. I always clear my cash and history when I exit Dolphin HD. It then takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds for my homescreen to load all of my apps and widgets. However, while there is a blank screen, I can swipe between screens and see my Live Wallpaper moving with the swipes. I'm not really sure if this is a LauncherPro issue or a Droid issue.

Stock 2.1 with the following widgets: Google Search, Dazzle 4x1 w/ 8 functions, Audio Manager Pro Large, Facebook, Retro Date, Retro Clock, Gemini Calendar, Gauge Battery 1x1, Weather Channel Large, LockPattern OnOff, and one Picture Frame.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a LauncherPro issue. Since 2.1, I've used the stock 2.1 & 2.2 Launcher, ADW.Launcher in Nexbeast v1.0.1 (I think that was his 2.1 version) and am now using LauncherPro. I've noticed Launcher lag coming out of multiple apps (usually the browser too) after having them open for more than a few mins, just like Kratos.

It was so bad today, that even just taking a quick look into my phone settings menu, then hitting the home button, it was taking a minimum of 5-10 sec to load the launcher screens every time. I just booted into CW Recovery earlier today and cleared out my cache just for the hell of it. It's been significantly faster since with almost no launcher lag. Even after browsing the web for 10-15 mins and hitting the home button, it only takes a couple secs for all my screens/icons/widgets to load. Still slower than pre-2.1 Launcher/Android though from what I remember :(. So hopefully this isn't an issue and I don't have to do this every day or so just to have decent performance. The only time I want to restart/turn off my phone is to change a ROM or something, heh.

Upvote 0
This may be a stupid question, but how would I go about clearing my cache for my apps and my system without having to do it in the settings menu one app at a time? I don't even know how to clear my system cache. Also, when/if I clear my system cache, will I loose any settings or apps? Is clearing my system cache the same as wiping data?

I am running stock 2.1.

Kratos

Upvote 0
This may be a stupid question, but how would I go about clearing my cache for my apps and my system without having to do it in the settings menu one app at a time? I don't even know how to clear my system cache. Also, when/if I clear my system cache, will I loose any settings or apps? Is clearing my system cache the same as wiping data?

I am running stock 2.1.

Kratos

The fastest, easiest, and most thorough way that I know of is to reboot your phone into Clockwork Recovery (or SPR Recovery if that's what you use) and select "wipe cache partition" from the main menu. This doesn't make you lose any data whatsoever and isn't remotely the same as wiping system data. All the cache is, is cached information from all your system apps in order for them to load/open faster and without initially relying on a data connection. At least this is what I'm assuming it's for because I didn't lose anything when I cleared mine. I was even still logged into my forums/sites in my browser after I cleared it out.

You can also go through all the individual apps in the "manage applications" menu in the phone settings (settings > applications > manage applications) and select the app you want to clear the cache for and press "clear cache" in the menu.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: global2
Upvote 0
The fastest, easiest, and most thorough way that I know of is to reboot your phone into Clockwork Recovery (or SPR Recovery if that's what you use) and select "wipe cache partition" from the main menu. This doesn't make you lose any data whatsoever and isn't remotely the same as wiping system data. All the cache is, is cached information from all your system apps in order for them to load/open faster and without initially relying on a data connection. At least this is what I'm assuming it's for because I didn't lose anything when I cleared mine. I was even still logged into my forums/sites in my browser after I cleared it out.

You can also go through all the individual apps in the "manage applications" menu in the phone settings (settings > applications > manage applications) and select the app you want to clear the cache for and press "clear cache" in the menu.

Hope this helps.

That does help, but unfortunately I am not rooted. I'm still running Stock 2.1 with out root. I have thought about rooting and have studied up on it so when/if I decide to root I will know what I am doing. But, I'm just not ready to take the leap yet.

Is there any way to do this easily without root?

Kratos

Upvote 0
You don't have to be rooted to clear the cache partition. Just hold X while booting, and it will take you into the stock recovery, where the option to wipe the cache partition is. Press the camera button along with the up arrow when the little loading image appears.

Thank you. I'm doing this now. I hope that this will help fix this issue, at least temporarily if anything.

Kratos

Upvote 0
This is interesting. When I am in System Recovery, I highlight the option to wipe cache partition. And press the camera button to select it. I then get the following message: E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

What does this mean? Do I have a defective OS? Am I doing something wrong? I thought I was knowledgeable with all this as I've been thinking about rooting, but apparently I may not be.

Please help me understand why it cant access this directory.

Edit: I just tried this again, and the error message I referenced above actually shows up as soon as I enter recovery mode. When I highlight and select clear cache, it doesn't do anything at all.

Thanks,
Kratos

Upvote 0
The reason your home screen is refreshing slow is that custom launchers like adw and launcher pro get treated like any other app and the operating system causes it to close its running process. So it has to restart and redraw everything. Sorta like when explorer crashes on windows and restarts

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Okay here is a new twist. I tried to clear the cache as suggested below. Reboot phone (Stock 2.1 Droid) and hold down the x key while powering on. I get a white triangle with exclamation point in the middle of it and a device laying in front of it. No other menu etc. Is there some other key strokes to get to a menu? Camera button does nothing - symbol stays the same. Tried a battery pull and reboot several times always same screen? I am sure I am missing something here.

Upvote 0
LauncherPro just released version 0.6.0 and it has the option to keep LauncherPro in memory. This means that if you start to run low on memory, the Android system will kill other programs, but will not kill LauncerPro. This means that LauncherPro will not have to redraw the homescreens.

This is exciting because if it works properly, I will not have to wait up to 30 seconds for my homescreens to repopulate in order to go from one app to another.

I just updated my LauncherPro so I will not know how this feature works for a while. But, if it works like it is supposed to, I will be very happy.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing these issues. I was using Helix Launcher and it was fine then one day it just started slowing down. I switched to Launcher Pro and still experience these issues. I am stock 2.1 and have no other mods on my phone. I have tried to clear as many apps that I have put on recently but that has not helped. I will try some of the things recommended here.

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing these issues. I was using Helix Launcher and it was fine then one day it just started slowing down. I switched to Launcher Pro and still experience these issues. I am stock 2.1 and have no other mods on my phone. I have tried to clear as many apps that I have put on recently but that has not helped. I will try some of the things recommended here.

Up date your launcher pro and the make sure that the option keep in memory is checked. See if that fixes the issue. I posted this just above your post and an explanation of what this option does is in that post.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Live Wallpapers and Widgets make my droid so sloooowwwwww. Standard walls and less widgets makes it much better.

I haven't noticed this. I have LW and twelve widgets on my phone and not notice slowness or lag in general. Also, since the new feature in LauncherPro, I have not had an issue with homescreen redrawing.

Kratos

Upvote 0
LauncherPro just released version 0.6.0 and it has the option to keep LauncherPro in memory. This means that if you start to run low on memory, the Android system will kill other programs, but will not kill LauncerPro. This means that LauncherPro will not have to redraw the homescreens.

This is exciting because if it works properly, I will not have to wait up to 30 seconds for my homescreens to repopulate in order to go from one app to another.

I just updated my LauncherPro so I will not know how this feature works for a while. But, if it works like it is supposed to, I will be very happy.

Kratos
The check box helps for normal activity but memory intensive apps (like Nav) will still cause the launcher to get the kibosh. Nav is always the first thing I try when I want to see if the launcher will stay in memory :).

edit: and LW will make my otherwise screaming phone slow as molasses when scrolling through the home screens, even with LP. And I've also just noticed that 0.6 has a noticeable pause before it begins scrolling to the next screen (the scrolling is still smooth though). It also does not remove the icons/widgets from the screens that you can't see. What do I mean? Previously if you slid left and then immediatly slid to the right, the icons on the screen to the left of the current screen would disappear. That no longer happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones