• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Honda Civic + Evo Shift + Handsfreelink Bluetooth

mike12806

Jun 12, 2011
Hi everyone,

First post woo! I just bought a 2012 Honda Civic w/ navigation and bluetooth and am trying to pair my EVO shift (stock 2.2 build), and it will not either not stay connected or will let you place / take one call, then disconnects. I can't import my phone book either. Anyone have any suggestions for solutions? I've tried unpairing and re-pairing numerous times.

Welcome to AF! glad to see you found the appropriate forum... Anyway, I have no experience with BT issues with my shift. I use a hands free earpiece, and have not ever had an issue with disconnecting. It may not help, but start with a reboot... Sometimes that will help with little issues from time to time. Have you paired another phone with your car to see if the problem lies with the phone or the car? I would, just to eliminate one or the other.... Good luck, and post back up if you find anything new....:D

Reactions: mike12806
Upvote 0
As far as I know, the Shift is using Bluetooth 2.1 and this is known to have some car connectivity problems.

I'm not 100% sure - but I **think** the upcoming update for the Shift to Android 2.3 may include an update for Bluetooth.

I'll check those facts and get back to you.

Welcome to the forums!

That would be great - I really appreciate it. As you can imagine, it's extremely frustrating to have a brand new car and a relatively new phone, and they won't work together!! haha

Upvote 0
I just bought a 2012 Honda Civic EX, and mine has the exact same problem. I can force it to connect to the handsfree phone system, make a call, but then it transfers the call back to the phone after about 30 seconds, disconnects and the phone freezes. So frustrating! Also, it will not communicate the contacts at all.

To make it worse, my husband's blackberry works perfectly! We have a longstanding rivalry over whose phone is better, and my droid consistently wins, but then it fails on something this important! Bah!

If anyone can solve this problem, I would be eternally grateful.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 2012 Honda Civic EX, and mine has the exact same problem. I can force it to connect to the handsfree phone system, make a call, but then it transfers the call back to the phone after about 30 seconds, disconnects and the phone freezes. So frustrating! Also, it will not communicate the contacts at all.

To make it worse, my husband's blackberry works perfectly! We have a longstanding rivalry over whose phone is better, and my droid consistently wins, but then it fails on something this important! Bah!

If anyone can solve this problem, I would be eternally grateful.

Are you running android 2.2? A previous poster suggested it may be an issue with bluetooth 2.1 in android 2.2 - hopefully 2.3 interacts better! I've given up at this point :( Have you tried the Honda dealer? I haven't yet, i'm just figuring they'll blame the phone...

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm running 2.2, so I guess I'll just have to patient. I have scoured the internet for something that will help, but it doesn't appear that there is a quick solution out there. I'm going to the dealership next week to have their "tech" guy check it out, but I agree that they will probably blame my phone.

I do appreciate your comments though. At least I don't feel like it's just me that's having this problem! I'll keep checking back to see if something new appears.:eek:

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm running 2.2, so I guess I'll just have to patient. I have scoured the internet for something that will help, but it doesn't appear that there is a quick solution out there. I'm going to the dealership next week to have their "tech" guy check it out, but I agree that they will probably blame my phone.

I do appreciate your comments though. At least I don't feel like it's just me that's having this problem! I'll keep checking back to see if something new appears.:eek:

I feel the same way... I'm not crazy! Let me know if you figure out anything and I sure will as well!

Upvote 0
Mike,

This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my 2006 Acura with HandsFreeLink.

Prior to upgrading to Gingerbread (4.5.596.MB810.Verizon; 2.3.3 Build No. 4.5.1_57_DX5-26) the phone and the car communicated perfectly. After the upgrade, when using the steering wheel handsfree controls, I could no longer place two calls in a row without a problem. The first call goes though fine but if I need to make a second call the car will attempt to communicate with the phone, fail, and then the BT connection is momentarily lost. The connection (usually) comes back on its own moments later but this this is still frustrating as can be.

I'm sure the problem is the phone because, as I said, it worked very well prior to the software upgrade.

I'm not clear on what you did you fix, but I am very interested to find out.

Any help from the group with be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Thank you!!

Upvote 0
Mike,

This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my 2006 Acura with HandsFreeLink.

Prior to upgrading to Gingerbread (4.5.596.MB810.Verizon; 2.3.3 Build No. 4.5.1_57_DX5-26) the phone and the car communicated perfectly. After the upgrade, when using the steering wheel handsfree controls, I could no longer place two calls in a row without a problem. The first call goes though fine but if I need to make a second call the car will attempt to communicate with the phone, fail, and then the BT connection is momentarily lost. The connection (usually) comes back on its own moments later but this this is still frustrating as can be.

I'm sure the problem is the phone because, as I said, it worked very well prior to the software upgrade.

Thank you!!

Hey John - I'm unsure if are problems are related as mine only occurred prior to the GB update but yours seem to mimic after....maybe a factory reset??

Upvote 0
Mike,

Thank you!!

There is nothing you can do to fix it. I have a 2005 TL and have the same issue. The phone actually worked perfectly with the car until I was stupid enough to upgrade the phone's software yesterday. After nearly smashing the phone into a thousand pieces, I called HTC and was informed that the upgrade included a new version of Bluetooth (2.1 or something) and that is the problem. It cannot and will not work with the model year cars you and I have. Just great. And, even better, HTC says there is no way to go back to the old software version. Essentially, Bluetooth has proven once again that it is complete garbage as NOTHING they make is every assured to work with anything else they make. They are a total joke. To use the term "Bluetooth" as if anything "Bluetooth" can somehow communication with other "Bluetooth" enabled equipment is completely misleading. That has never been the case. My phone is now thoroughly useless to me since I virtually only ever use it in the car. Besides that, the software "upgrade" is complete garbage and didn't fix a single one of the other two dozen or so ridiculous things that are wrong with the phone and make it a total pain. HTC is garbage, Android is garbage, and Bluetooth is beyond garbage and always has been.

Upvote 0
Might be the same issue I've replied to earlier. How or when it actually manages to pair with the car might differ but trying to delete all "other contacts" may work - since the phone saves contacs from emails etc these VCS files, may be inconclusive - i.e missing a name, number or whatever, that the phone tries to sync to the car may cause a pairing error making the bt disconnect.

I think - or let me say hope - that this is a general bug on devices running android 2.1 and above since it seem to be working great with let's say 1.5 or 1.6

Upvote 0
I was having this problem. Here's how I was able to solve it.

First I went here Honda Cars - New and Certified Used Cars from American Honda and noticed some steps in the process that I was failing to do when I tried the first ~50 times to sync my phone. See steps 15-18:

FOR FIRST TIME PAIRING:

1. Make sure Bluetooth is turned ON in the phone and it’s in discoverable mode
  2. Press the PHONE button on the radio unit. The handsfree system will notify you that there are no phones paired to the system and ask you if you would like to add a phone now.
  3. Select “YES”
  4. The system will search and then provide a list of Bluetooth devices found
  5. Select the phone from the list. The phone will prompt for the pairing code. Enter the pairing code provided by the system into the phone.
  6. If the phone is not found by the system, select “PHONE NOT FOUND?”. The handsfree system will prompt you begin the pairing search from the phone.
  7. From the Menu
  8. Tap SETTINGS
  9. Tap WIRELESS & NETWORKS
  10. Tap BLUETOOTH to turn ON
  11. Tap BLUETOOTH SETTINGS
  12. Tap SCAN FOR DEVICES
  13. Select handsfree device to pair with
  14. Enter the selected passcode
  15. View the upper corner on the handset screen. The phone may prompt for permission to import the phonebook
  16. Slide down on the notification
  17. Select YES
  18. Check the box to always remember this selection. This must be done to allow a reliable Bluetooth connection

Apparently, the dropping and reconnecting issue was caused by the car continuing to try to get the phonebook off the phone. Once you give permission for the phone to share the phonebook with the car, the car gets your phonebook and the drop/reconnect issue goes away. I hope the issue is this simple for you too. Now my car has my phonebook and my phone stays connected. Two problems solved. YAY!!!!

Upvote 0
I tried to use my Cowan S9 on my 2012 Civic EX, this is an
audio player: JetAudio with Bluetooth
Handsfree capacity not a mobile phone, the Handsfree link on the Cowan s9 is green as connected but fails to connect on the Honda, I assume it is just incompatible, are any of the current Android tablets compatible with Handsfree? I'm a Luddite in regards to mobile phones, just have a land line as I don't use phones much. I would rather buy a tablet (sans the hefty monthly rates) that I would get much more use from than a smartphone in order to be able to play lossless flac files on my civic.

Upvote 0
I'm haveing a different problem. I have a 2012 Civic EX L. I don't have a problem with the Bluetooth but the EVO Shift won't connect via USB. I get an error message on the Navi that says unsupported format. The files in the phone we're copied from a memory card in a HTC Touch Pro 2 and worked fine in the othe phone, but not with the EVO shift.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 2012 Honda Civic SI and am having issues with my Bluetooth and Android Charge. It doesn't keep the connection and continues to connect/disconnect and reconnect. I've been to Verizon and they say it's the car. I've been to Honda and they say the Android I510 IS compatible with the Bluetooth so needless to say I'm chasing my tail. I've paired up my work Blackberry and have no issues. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Not a good way to enjoy the new car and not be able to go handsfree....Thanks much!

Upvote 0
I just got a new 2012 Honda Civic, and am having similar issues with pairing a Droid X. It connects just fine, but every 20 seconds or so, it disconnects briefly, and then reconnects right away. Very annoying. This never happened with my 2009 Honda Civic.

One thing that I noticed: this only happens when I have the Droid X plugged into the charger! As soon as I unplug it, it stops. I can live with that, for the most part.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones