• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honest opinions on your Fascinates Battery Life!

I might try today. I wonder if it's possible for the phone hardware itself to be at fault for the batter life, or at least contribute to it. Just the battery is more likely I'm guessing. If they don't allow it I could probably just buy a spare battery, then return it with the one I have now in the package... lol.

Upvote 0
LOL, you believe those things that sell phones at Verizon Corporate stores are actually 'human'??

again... LOL.
:p My niece who is like 19-20 attends the local community college in the town she lives. She applied to work at VZW retail store without any sales experience or phone knowledge. She got the job. I adore my niece but this is the kind of example Im talking about. She at least is nice but she is not tech savvy. Basically there are 3 kinds of reps at VZW corporate stores. 1) Pushy commission driven A-holes who don't have clue about phones ~ 80% 2) Nice friendly people who don't have a clue ~ 15% 3) Helpful friendly knowledge reps ~ 5%. If you find this third catergory take a picture they're like bald eagles.

Reactions: SirKronan
Upvote 0
:p My niece who is like 19-20 attends the local community college in the town she lives. She applied to work at VZW retail store without any sales experience or phone knowledge. She got the job. I adore my niece but this is the kind of example Im talking about. She at least is nice but she is not tech savvy. Basically there are 3 kinds of reps at VZW corporate stores. 1) Pushy commission driven A-holes who don't have clue about phones ~ 80% 2) Nice friendly people who don't have a clue ~ 15% 3) Helpful friendly knowledge reps ~ 5%. If you find this third catergory take a picture they're like bald eagles.
Man, I really wish I had an experience that involved someone who was 'nice', 'helpful' or 'knowledgeable'. My experience involved "Category 1" at three different Corporate stores and one 'Premium Retailer'.

Ok, I lied a little bit. When I finally just returned my 2nd Fascinate in order to get one at BestBuy for their protection plan(thereby eliminating any further interaction with Verizon store employees), the lady was very nice and didn't drop an attitude on me. It was like a breath of fresh, clean, mountain spring air... paradise really.

Your niece now works for Verizon and if she wants to keep her job then she can't really 'rock the boat' in a commissioned-sales environment like that. I know this from experience. Just please remind her to not lose her 'soul' in the process and stay 'human'. People may disagree with me, but in my experience when it comes to 'retail', friendliness and basic respect always trumps 'knowledge'. GL to her.

Upvote 0
Man, I really wish I had an experience that involved someone who was 'nice', 'helpful' or 'knowledgeable'. My experience involved "Category 1" at three different Corporate stores and one 'Premium Retailer'.

Ok, I lied a little bit. When I finally just returned my 2nd Fascinate in order to get one at BestBuy for their protection plan(thereby eliminating any further interaction with Verizon store employees), the lady was very nice and didn't drop an attitude on me. It was like a breath of fresh, clean, mountain spring air... paradise really.

Your niece now works for Verizon and if she wants to keep her job then she can't really 'rock the boat' in a commissioned-sales environment like that. I know this from experience. Just please remind her to not lose her 'soul' in the process and stay 'human'. People may disagree with me, but in my experience when it comes to 'retail', friendliness and basic respect always trumps 'knowledge'. GL to her.
Yeah she's actually been there a few months now. Your experiences are much like mine and everyone elses here. I think my percentages are right on. Its literally 80%, 4 out of 5 which are rotten applies. And of the 1 out of 5 who isnt a rotten apple [like my niece] 4 out of 5 of those good apples arent knowledge. Still like you say I'd rather have friendly than knowledgeable. I am knowledgeable enough for both of us. I mean the day I got my SF's the glad who rang me up hadnt even seen the SF. I love my niece but I still remember when I first dropped the term Froyo on her a month ago [this is after she has been working at VZW for at least a month]. She was like "whats Froyo?" God bless her indeed she at least is friendly and you know what people reward friendliness. She does well because she already has the reputation as the friendly girl. She'll do fine even if she could stand to increase and broaden her knowledge base. That's at least something she can read up on. There isnt really a book for the A-hole personality :D

And just so I stay on topic: I disabled gmail auto syncing entirely. I put my 2 gmail accounts in the regular email app and will just check manually. I dont get much gmail anyway as they are my secondary emails

Upvote 0
haha... totally laughing out loud at this one, saps!!

Upvote 0
Okay, I just wanted to post more of my battery life findings and how I'm getting the life I'm getting.

I've been unplugged since 8:00 a.m. so I'm hitting about 16 hrs. My usage today:

- 60 min: GPS
- Two hours of Pandora while driving to my mother's home for a visit (with intermittent song lookup, or switching .. and my wife played on it quite a while making stations - the lady gaga station sucked, fyi :p ...)
- About 60 min. of phone calls, including some with bluetooth while driving
- About 60 min. web browsing
- About 60 min. gaming (robo defense)
- Had it in my pocket for almost an hour downloading an ISO file to make a driver disc for something needing re-installed on my mom's computer
- Watching video for about 30 min. to show of screen at different times during the day.
- I also played MP3's on the stereo at work for about 2 hours this morning, but the screen was off for that.
- About 25 texts (a little lighter than normal, mostly because I was driving)

I have 30% left right now. AND I use live wallpapers. Sorry, I'm a sucker for them. I won't give them up!!!! It's one of my favorite things about Android.

Here are my recommendations:
1. Root, uninstall any bloat you can, especially stuff that runs in the background like Bing stuff, CityID, etc. (look to the safe lists posted to make sure you don't delete something important)
2. Run AutoKiller (on optimum) and DON'T run other automatic task killers. ATK had a noticeable drain on my Eris. No thanks. AutoKiller is efficient. Some apps stay open and occupy memory, but if they use ZERO percent CPU when asleep, why waste CPU cycles shutting it down with a task killer? You need to root to run autokiller, but it's very efficient and intelligent. Worth every penny (it's free :D)
3. The most deadly apps on battery (can be discovered by looking at your battery use breakdown), I will use the stock task manager to kill (long press on home touch button). I do this only periodically, once or twice a day. It's a piece of cake.
4. Bluetooth doesn't seem to be much of a drainer on this phone, but the setting for it, as well as settings WiFi and GPS are so ridiculously easy to shut down on this phone that I only turn them on when I need them. And they really power up/down quickly on this phone!!
5. I have my apps that use data set to sync MANUALLY ONLY. This was the biggest denominator for me in helping battery life. When I'm with a client, I'm not checking email. When I'm driving, I'm not checking email. When I have a break, it only takes a sec to hit the sync button, and I just saved all those hours of battery life by having my phone not check. I realize some of you have jobs where you need notification right after receiving an email. If you don't shut this off. It will save a TON of your battery's life. This extended the battery by a matter of hours on my Eris, Droid X, and on this phone.
6. Turn ON the power saving features in your settings menus.
7. Turn brightness to AUTO in the display settings.

Even with live wallpapers, I am still getting great battery life. But FYI, some live wallpapers use more battery than others. The touch responsive water wallpapers are particularly intensive. One I use that doesn't drain much at all, but still looks really cool and is customizable is the free Physics wallpaper (not sure of spelling, might be physx ...) It's simple, but cool, impressive to people I show the phone off to, and doesn't drain battery much at all. And it's free. :D

Anyways, I hope this helps you all out. I have nothing but praise for the battery on this phone so far. And that's even after owning the impressive Droid X. This phone is surely on par with almost identical usage, at least in my case.

Upvote 0
i have literally ran the battery down 3-4 times so far to cycle even filled the homescreens all 7 and then got launcher pro and just used 3 home screens and very minimal. with heavy usage today its lasting somewhat better but something is up, its not just you having this issue, battery is also a very big issue with the vibrant. and in jon4lakers review you can see the fascinate battery go from 30-10 percent in a matter of minutes. im liking the phone but the 2200mah behemoth battery is not worth wrecking this phone. but 1500mah isnt really lasting too long. this is something i believe companies must get down now. motorola did it with the X a 1930mah battery barely bigger than the one that comes with it. if im dishing money for a behemoth it better be atleast close to 3000mah.

Upvote 0
I'm really surprised people are getting such good battery life. I just got the fascinate a few days ago (coming from the droid), and the battery life has been abysmal. I love the phone, but the battery life has had me considering returning the phone. I've tried everything (brightness set to minimum, regular wallpaper, background syncing off, bluetooth/wifi off, no widgets), and it hasnt helped. The only thing that has made a difference is if I put it in airplane mode, but I obviously can't do that all the time. It seems like I either have a defective battery or there is some background process I can't find that's draining the battery. Are there any default programs that might be doing this? Has anyone talked to verizon about it?

Upvote 0
I'm really surprised people are getting such good battery life. I just got the fascinate a few days ago (coming from the droid), and the battery life has been abysmal. I love the phone, but the battery life has had me considering returning the phone. I've tried everything (brightness set to minimum, regular wallpaper, background syncing off, bluetooth/wifi off, no widgets), and it hasnt helped. The only thing that has made a difference is if I put it in airplane mode, but I obviously can't do that all the time. It seems like I either have a defective battery or there is some background process I can't find that's draining the battery. Are there any default programs that might be doing this? Has anyone talked to verizon about it?
For what it's worth, I thought the battery on my Fascinate wasn't exactly spectacular either for the first few days. Then I noticed it getting better. When I arrived to "wow, this is pretty good" I decided to see how far I could get without plugging it in a few days ago. 34 hours and 50 minutes unplugged with moderate use. It just wasn't like that the first few days or so even with light use.

I suggest giving it some time and see if it improves.

Upvote 0
the lady gaga station sucked, fyi :p ...)
7. Turn brightness to AUTO in the display settings.
googoo for gaga heh SK, now thats [H] ;)
I must say I used to have it on auto but now I just have it all the way down; which disables auto setting. Admittedly, if you use auto it can and will turn the brightness all the way down most of the time [for me] but it sometimes does bump it up. Since making the change to full time all the way down I've not had any issues.

Upvote 0
Brightness to auto saves battery? Doesn't just turning the whole thing down to the lowest setting the most energy saving?
Just said this to SK as well but it bears repeating. If you use Auto, sometimes it will run the screen at lowest settings. In my own case I'd say most of the time its all the way down. But it can and does bump up it is detects more light it bumps up. I just yesterday took it off auto and now run it at lowest setting which again is the same as auto tends to be on especially indoors with moderate lighting. Overall, turning off auto and running it on the lowest should give you even a little bit more than auto

Reactions: SF49ers
Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I thought the battery on my Fascinate wasn't exactly spectacular either for the first few days. Then I noticed it getting better. When I arrived to "wow, this is pretty good" I decided to see how far I could get without plugging it in a few days ago. 34 hours and 50 minutes unplugged with moderate use. It just wasn't like that the first few days or so even with light use.

I suggest giving it some time and see if it improves.
Agreed, after 3-5 drain/charge cycles I could tell my battery was moderately longer lasting. Equally true I was learning what tweaks to make to prolong life

Upvote 0
Agreed, after 3-5 drain/charge cycles I could tell my battery was moderately longer lasting. Equally true I was learning what tweaks to make to prolong life

Im starting to get better life too today, nothing spectacular as some people have said in here. been unplugged for about 10hrs 30min and at 50 percent which isnt too bad considering that by this time it was dead when i first got it. still going to buy a extra standard battery for this thing though.

Upvote 0

Yeah, I forgot to mention this, but you're right. Mine got better after a few days as well. Just remember to turn off all the automatic crap, data consuming, syncing junk that you can. That should make the biggest difference.

The reason I keep the phone on auto brightness is because I frequently have to check it while in broad daylight. Turned all the way down it's simply too dim in the sun. I would be silly to get this phone and turn it all the way down all the time, in my opinion .... :p

Upvote 0
I would be silly to get this phone and turn it all the way down all the time, in my opinion .... :p
I totally get that and it's also precisely the reason I'm able to go ahead and drop it to zero; the display is that good. Coincidentally, I just came back in from lunch and had set the display to just over 50% to test the gps while I was outside.back indoors,i pulled out the SF to reset the brightness and I said to myself, "holy chit, this display is amazing."
But I really value battery time and am willing to compromise for the most part. I'd love to keep that amazing Live sail boat wallpaper but i'm perfectly fine with my pitch black background. I just know I it's contributing at least an extra 5-8% in juice.

Man, swype is amazing :)

Upvote 0
I just put my phone though the ringer starting at 7am, went to the hospital with my wife and mother in law. Dozens of texts/facebook uploads and pictures. Baby was delivered ~530pm. left phone in delivery room for 1.5 hours. ~7pm several pictures and a movie (45mb) taken uploaded to Qik and facebook, a few lucky people got them texted (pictures that is). 12pm more pictures, 3am more pictures and another movie uploaded again and text messaged. when on the charge with 37% of the battery.

Day 2 went very similar but with heavier use phone was off at 6am and at 3am back on the charge with 25%.

I did not expect it to last this long or take such nice images/video, it really made our families happy with the images and movies being uploaded.

of course each day involved a few hours on the phone talking family and friends.

Upvote 0
I just put my phone though the ringer starting at 7am, went to the hospital with my wife and mother in law. Dozens of texts/facebook uploads and pictures. Baby was delivered ~530pm. left phone in delivery room for 1.5 hours. ~7pm several pictures and a movie (45mb) taken uploaded to Qik and facebook, a few lucky people got them texted (pictures that is). 12pm more pictures, 3am more pictures and another movie uploaded again and text messaged. when on the charge with 37% of the battery.

Day 2 went very similar but with heavier use phone was off at 6am and at 3am back on the charge with 25%.

I did not expect it to last this long or take such nice images/video, it really made our families happy with the images and movies being uploaded.

of course each day involved a few hours on the phone talking family and friends.

It's nice that this phone actually takes good pictures. They really have come a long way these days. Glad it was there for your special day, and congratulations!!!!

Upvote 0
Baby was delivered ~530pm.

Congratulations! Like SirKonan said, it really is pretty cool to see how good these cameras have gotten.

But anyway, I had a bit of Vibrant envy, and thought "Well I want Avatar, too..." so three hours later my own copy, via HandBrake, was complete, and I watched the whole thing. But still wasn't satisfied. So about 30 minutes later I'm watching Star Trek 09 (call me a nerd :rolleyes: ). I think I was down to 70% from those two movies? And if that wasn't enough, soon I was running around demoing how amazing the display was to anyone that would give me the time of day, comparing to my Incredible under different conditions, etc...

And it still wouldn't die. I'm not sure whether I should feel like I failed or if I succeeded in getting such a great phone (as far as battery life goes). But then I came from an Inc, so... :D

Upvote 0
Can someone post the way there settings is setup. 25-30hrs with moderate to heavy use is no where close to anything what im getting. 15-17 at most. and thats with a very minimal screen space taken up.

Check this post:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-fa...ur-fascinates-battery-life-2.html#post1654721

Give those settings a try for at least two days and report back.

Also, for right now, if you could provided details on how much time you're browsing the web, playing games, and on phone conversations, that would really help us help you out.

And make sure you check your screen settings and enable the power saving features.

Have you disabled auto syncing of your accounts?? this is HUGE on every android phone I've ever owned and/or used.

Are you rooted? If so, there are additional tweaks we can help you setup to eek more performance out of your device.

Reactions: SF49ers
Upvote 0
Congratulations on the little one, Kierik!! I wonder how young kids will be in the future to have their first cell phones.. LOL. this world is speeding forward in alarming (and exciting) speeds....

If we get the little tyke home tomorrow I will get a picture of his first cell phone use :). Make him the youngest fascinate user at 3 days!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones