• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honest opinions on your Fascinates Battery Life!

Around here, I would be considered a very atypical user - light. Probably very light by most people's standards. I don't put my Fascinate through its paces each day. Generally, it is phone calls, texts, checking out the Daily Briefing news stories,and occassional web surfing. Haven't needed GPS and have only needed to turn on the WiFi 3 or 4 times. I have just gotten into the habit of plugging my phone in at night to charge, but this week I forgot. I went two days without charging my phone and at the end of the second day I still had more than 15% battery life! I keep an extra wall charger at my office just in case, but haven't needed it yet. I had a Droid X for about 3 weeks before my Fascinate and I could never have gone a day without charging.

Upvote 0
I've been feeling better about mine this week. My biggest challenge is that I get a very lousy signal at work which makes gauging my battery a lot more complicated. It used to be with the Storm 2 and light usage, I had to have it on the charger by 1:00 to get through the day. The same thing with the Fascinate. But the last couple of days I've made it ALL DAY with light usage without having to charge. I think the Fascinate is holding a better signal than the Storm did.

If I can get through a "work day" (i.e. from the time I get up in the a.m. until I get home in the evening which is approximately 10 - 12 hours) without worrying about the battery dying I'm happy. I did notice that when I changed from one of the "picture" built in wallpapers to a dark one, my battery life seemed to significantly increase. I would never have thought a "pretty picture" wallpaper would have that negative in impact but in my case it seems it did. I don't use my phone for talking much at all...I'm mostly multimedia and email use.

I'm looking forward to gauging it this weekend when I will have good signal throughout the day.

Upvote 0
I've been feeling better about mine this week. My biggest challenge is that I get a very lousy signal at work which makes gauging my battery a lot more complicated. It used to be with the Storm 2 and light usage, I had to have it on the charger by 1:00 to get through the day. The same thing with the Fascinate. But the last couple of days I've made it ALL DAY with light usage without having to charge. I think the Fascinate is holding a better signal than the Storm did.

If I can get through a "work day" (i.e. from the time I get up in the a.m. until I get home in the evening which is approximately 10 - 12 hours) without worrying about the battery dying I'm happy. I did notice that when I changed from one of the "picture" built in wallpapers to a dark one, my battery life seemed to significantly increase. I would never have thought a "pretty picture" wallpaper would have that negative in impact but in my case it seems it did. I don't use my phone for talking much at all...I'm mostly multimedia and email use.

I'm looking forward to gauging it this weekend when I will have good signal throughout the day.

I'm a sucker for live wallpapers. There's one called "PhysX" that is very simple, but cool looking. It's also quite customizable. Set the particles amount to 40 (or less) and the background to black. You get a cool looking live wallpaper with colors that you can customize to match your phone's theme (like my sister has the purple theme set for PhysX and for the Dolphin HD browser so they match nicely) and it really doesn't drain the battery hardly at all. It will still drain it more than just a pure black background or really dark dead wallpaper.

Upvote 0
I think the battery life is excellent so far. I bought the phone on wed. at around 4:30 pm with half of the battery left it and I used it extensively until about 12:30-1:00 last night it died. I have it fully charged right now so we'll see how that goes.
However, good it is right out of the box; expect it to get slightly better after 3-5 cycles

Upvote 0
I hope everybody with battery issues reads this-

When I first got my phone, my battery would last MAYBE 5 hours tops before it was blinking at me to plug it in. (I use it mainly for playing music, texting, and browsing the web, downloading apps, GPS, WIFI etc.) Heavy use, IMO, as the screen was basically on the entire time. I unplugged the phone every morning at 8 30am and by 9am it was already down to 80%. After trying a 5 day shot of battery cycling and installing/uninstalling apps, I was ready to return it. I would rather go back to a blackberry and at least have a phone that I can rely on, than one that lasts not even 5 hours and may be dead in an emergency situation. So I called the *611 line and they suggested mailing me a new battery to try instead. Right away, I noticed a huuge difference. It has been about 4 days since I tried the new battery and I couldn't be happier. I can honestly say I took my phone off the charger this morning at 830am and it still has 20% left..and again, that is constant music play, texting, downloading apps, youtube etc.

So- long story short, please try a new battery before you return your phone!! =) You might be as pleased as I am.

Reactions: SirKronan and jroc
Upvote 0
For the screen size / resolution, and processor speed the battery is doing fine. I don't know what people expect when you power use a phone like this, it's gonna drain the battery. Under normal usage with light to moderate surfing / gaming during the day, and normal call usage, it lasts me till the evening when I go to bed and plug it in anyway.

If your gonna use alot of GPS, and Web surfing then you WILL experience shorter battery life, as with all phones or portable devices.

Upvote 0
On my D1 2.2 I am doing much better without the ATK. Much better means 12-14 hours with no music, no text, mainly checking email regularly and virtually no web browsing. Can't wait until 10/27 for the SF.

The ATK always seemed to do more harm than good on all the droid phones I've ever used. No thanks. I've had the best luck with AutoKiller, but you gotta root.

Upvote 0
I can get about 8-10 hours of moderate use (less than 1 hour of calls but a lot of playing with the phone) and medium brightness. Signal strength is good.

That's much better than with my Incredible, but still not mind blowing. I really wish Samsung could improve it with some OTAs. I'd like to see 16 hours but I might just get a second battery.

Upvote 0
When I go to battery status, it says the display has used the biggest percentage of my battery. Its usually 80 something. I have the brightness as low as it can go and timeout at 15 sec - any other ways i can reduce this?
Don't be on screen as much. :p
Seriously though it just depends what you do with the phone. If you screen is often lit and you are running apps or web browsing or whatever you are going to have stats like that. I generally average between 50--70% display use. The one day I didnt was because I made a ton [5+ hours] of phone calls and when Im on the phone the screen is of course blacked out. That day I was like 80% phone calls. But yeah its really quite normal to have display be your main culprit

Upvote 0
I lift my cable at home from the long weekend yesterday. Typically I am tied to my desk so I charge my phone and listen to pandora all day. Starting at 5am without the cable, I refrained from using pandora, but conducted ~7 5 minute calls, read and responded to 50+ emails, installed 4 apps from appbrain and some moderate web browsing. I finished up the day at 26% battery @ 7pm. I am happy

Upvote 0
FWIW, if you guys get an undervolted kernel the battery life gets even better

Ok, man, I might need some of your help doing this ... I want to do it right this time.

So, first, do I have to do the Odin restore from that 300+ MB Fascinate image?

Then, I install CWM?? And what do I do if I don't get the update.zip file like what happened with my sister's fascinate? Will the CWM still be installed?

And then, do I download the new custom kernel and install it? After that, I've gotta reinstall everything, right????

Upvote 0
Ok, man, I might need some of your help doing this ... I want to do it right this time.

So, first, do I have to do the Odin restore from that 300+ MB Fascinate image?

Then, I install CWM?? And what do I do if I don't get the update.zip file like what happened with my sister's fascinate? Will the CWM still be installed?

And then, do I download the new custom kernel and install it? After that, I've gotta reinstall everything, right????
Did you bork it SK? If you did yeah odin et al. If you're not borked at all and you haven't put voodoo on or even if you're running any voodoo v.2 kernel just flash any kernel you want in CWM. Only problem we found was voodoo v.1 to voodoo v.2 when we got impatient with the re-boot and pulled the battery.

Lemme know where you are at

Upvote 0
My battery life is fine. I started off yesterday morning with a full charge. Sent a few texts, checked a few e-mails, made a couple phone calls, and I still had at least 3/4 of my battery by the end of the day, so I didn't bother charging. Now it's 5:30PM on day 2 (again, checked e-mail a few times, made a couple phone calls, fairly light usage) and I still have about 45% left. This is with the live wallpaper on, facebook widget on, GPS on, bluetooth on (I shut it off for like 30 minutes yesterday), wordfeud on, google talk on.

I know my usage the past couple days is a lot less than the average user, but I'm still very impressed with the battery life I'm getting. My original plan was to try this phone for six months (give or take) and get an iPhone if it comes out to Verizon, but I have no desire to do that anymore. The only area this phone pales in comparison to the iPhone is the marketplace (especially games), but a small sacrifice to pay.

There have been times when my battery life seemed subpar, but usually a restart will alleviate that problem (maybe a program running in the background that I can't close with task manager...?)

Anyway, I give the battery life a 9/10.

Upvote 0
Did you bork it SK? If you did yeah odin et al. If you're not borked at all and you haven't put voodoo on or even if you're running any voodoo v.2 kernel just flash any kernel you want in CWM. Only problem we found was voodoo v.1 to voodoo v.2 when we got impatient with the re-boot and pulled the battery.

Lemme know where you are at

Phone is running great right now. It's rooted, and I have launcher pro and autokiller running. I only did the Odin restore on my sister's phone because rooting it bricked it. Haven't installed ROM manager or CWM on my phone at all yet. I'm just wanting to make sure I do things in the right order. Restoring this phone with Odin and then doing all this rooting/modding stuff over again is not a fun project I want to spend another day on like I did with my sister's fascinate ....

So what's the right process from here? I did NOT do the OTA system update, if that matters.

Upvote 0
Phone is running great right now. It's rooted, and I have launcher pro and autokiller running. I only did the Odin restore on my sister's phone because rooting it bricked it. Haven't installed ROM manager or CWM on my phone at all yet. I'm just wanting to make sure I do things in the right order. Restoring this phone with Odin and then doing all this rooting/modding stuff over again is not a fun project I want to spend another day on like I did with my sister's fascinate ....

So what's the right process from here? I did NOT do the OTA system update, if that matters.
Lets PM this conversation

Upvote 0
Reading some of you guys posts I think I may need a new battery. I've had my phone for about 3 weeks and only get 6 maybe 7 hours usage before I have to recharge. I do admit that is with heavy usage especially since I work nights a lot so my screen is constantly on. I believe I conditioned my battery right. 3 cycles letting it full discharge although I'm not sure if I plug it in when the battery indicator is red or are you
supposed to let the phone turn off itself first? Anyway my main culprit is my display it always takes like 80% of my batteries life even though it is set to auto with the slider below 50 and power save mode is on. So am I doing something wrong or do I need a new battery?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones