• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Honeycomb + HTC MHL Adapter + HDMI = No Network/Internet

johnson8228

Lurker
Feb 28, 2012
Hello all,

I've got a nonrooted HTC View, hooked up the HTC MHL adapter, and the HDMI cable. I get picture and sound from my View to the TV, but I lose wifi/internet access. So I can watch videos loaded on the tablet, but I can't stream. My network is still up and rechecked all the connections. As soon as I disconnect the MHL adapter, the tablet regains wifi connectivity. Seems others are having this problem on Samsung Galaxy phones, but I figure I'd throw my tablet into the mix here.

Help anyone? Thanks!

Hello all,

I've got a nonrooted HTC View, hooked up the HTC MHL adapter, and the HDMI cable. I get picture and sound from my View to the TV, but I lose wifi/internet access. So I can watch videos loaded on the tablet, but I can't stream. My network is still up and rechecked all the connections. As soon as I disconnect the MHL adapter, the tablet regains wifi connectivity. Seems others are having this problem on Samsung Galaxy phones, but I figure I'd throw my tablet into the mix here.

Help anyone? Thanks!
I have the same setup when I get home from work I will test this. I have not seen that problem but I also was not looking for it. Are you using the HTC MHL adapter? Please see post for my setup.
http://androidforums.com/3733624-post4.html

Upvote 0
Just tested my setup, HTC MHL adapter, HTC Rezound as wireless hotspot, and a generic USB charger cable with the HTC wall adapter that came with my Rezound. Turned on Watch and streamed the green hornet and some YouTube with no issues. How soon before the wifi goes out after attempting to stream content?

Upvote 0
As soon as I plug in the MHL adapter with the A/C adapter attached. Forgot to mention, using regular netgear wifi on cable modem not a hotspot, but I have wifi access on other devices, so it's narrowed down to the View.

Plug everything in with Wifi connected, and try surfing the internet, clicking on the Weather widget to see if it can make network connectivity to pull in the latest weather information. Once you've done that with success, try streaming from places like Youtube and then try connecting to Netflix or any other streaming site that you use.

Oh and also, try disconnecting Wifi access and re-establishing wifi after all physical connections are done. Maybe your modem doesn't like that extra connection (the TV) and is thus inhibiting network traffic.

Upvote 0
TX... Was able to stream/browse internet without problems prior to establishing physical connections. Connected power and HDMI to MHL, then MHL to view, and ended up losing wifi (just seems to time out on everything - but wifi icon on bottom right stays connected). Went into wifi settings to turn off wifi, then turned it back on, and it said connecting... but ended up timing out and scanning for another network (which it found no others - when there are several others in the area).

On a side note... I streamed/cached netflix/amazon movies, but as soon as I connect the MHL to it, it plays whatever was cached then goes kaput.

Upvote 0
The only variable between your setup and mine, then is the source of our wifi connection. Since you can't test your setup with my tablet, and vice versa then we might have to assume that it's the wifi gateway that's inhibiting the connection, which seems kind of odd that your gateway would inhibit that extra connection since it's not really an extra computer that's connected, but just a different video source.

Do you have access to any other HTC device like your cell phone that you can test the connection? Have you or anyone adjusted the settings on the wifi modem? I'll perform another retest with a longer running video, but I don't appear to be experiencing the same issues. One more test you can attempt with your wifi modem is to disconnect all other devices that are typically connected to the modem and connect just your tablet to the wifi.

Upvote 0
I tried with an HTC EVO 3D, didn't have any problems with streaming or wifi access.

I don't think it's the router only because the View has no problems connecting to wifi when it's not connected to the MHL adapter. BTW, I don't have 3g/4g running on the tablet.

TX and Surreal, what version OS are you on? I have the exact same MHL adapter as shown in Surreal's pics and am wondering if it's because the MHL adapter doesn't have the EXTmicro USB connector? Maybe I just have a busted MHL adapter?

Upvote 0
I tried with an HTC EVO 3D, didn't have any problems with streaming or wifi access.

I don't think it's the router only because the View has no problems connecting to wifi when it's not connected to the MHL adapter. BTW, I don't have 3g/4g running on the tablet.

TX and Surreal, what version OS are you on? I have the exact same MHL adapter as shown in Surreal's pics and am wondering if it's because the MHL adapter doesn't have the EXTmicro USB connector? Maybe I just have a busted MHL adapter?
if your MHL adapter does not have a microUSB power plug then it's not the same. That might be the problem.

Upvote 0

I updated the tablet to Honeycomb when it was made available. The MHL adapter I'm using has a micro USB connection on the end with the HDMI output. If I don't have that USB connection connected, then the MHL adapter doesn't work. Below is a pic, and that's not my fingernail btw, in the event that someone asks me to groom my fingernails...

DSC_0021.JPG

Upvote 0
TX and Surreal, I have the HTC M490 adapter as well (compared to your other post with links to your pics). It has the Micro USB power connector as well.

My reference to the ExtMicro USB is because the bottom of the View and the packaged A/C adapter are ExtMicro USB and not regular Micro USB. The ExtMicro USB is proprietary to HTC it seems like.

Can you post a picture of the bottom of your View and your A/C adapter? Thanks!

Micro USB = Shaped more like an isosceles trapezoid.
ExtMicro USB = Shaped rectangular but with a notch in the middle.

Upvote 0
TX and Surreal, I have the HTC M490 adapter as well (compared to your other post with links to your pics). It has the Micro USB power connector as well.

My reference to the ExtMicro USB is because the bottom of the View and the packaged A/C adapter are ExtMicro USB and not regular Micro USB. The ExtMicro USB is proprietary to HTC it seems like.

Can you post a picture of the bottom of your View and your A/C adapter? Thanks!

Micro USB = Shaped more like an isosceles trapezoid.
ExtMicro USB = Shaped rectangular but with a notch in the middle.

I'll try to get a pic of the USB cable. I'm using a generic USB cable connected to the MHL adapter. The adapter is not shapped the same as the View's USB as the View's USB will not fit the MHL's port.

Also, on a few occasions, I've found that I've had to restart the View to get WiFi to work correctly.

Upvote 0
I didn't have any problem with wifi with the HTC MHL adapter attached. What I did have problem with was getting the picture and sound to show up on the TV. After reading reviews for the adapter on Amazon I found one where they had to restart the View with the adapter connected to get it to work. Did that and it worked for me, and wifi still worked as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones