• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honor 5X AMA (ask me anything)

USB file copy from Honor 5x (with EMUI 4.0) to Windows 7 PC -- not sure if I lost this when I upgraded to EMUI 4.0, but it no longer works. Is there an Easy way to re-enable this?

PS - With my previous Android phones, all I had to do was plug it into the USB port of my PC and the phones' drives just showed up. Now, nothing happens when I plug USB in (except the phone start charging).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
USB file copy from Honor 5x (with EMUI 4.0) to Windows 7 PC -- not sure if I lost this when I upgraded to EMUI 4.0, but it no longer works. Is there an Easy way to re-enable this?

PS - With my previous Android phones, all I had to do was plug it into the USB port of my PC and the phones' drives just showed up. Now, nothing happens when I plug USB in (except the phone start charging).
I don't have my 5X handy, but it may be defaulting to "Charge Only" mode when you make the USB connection. Is there a notification or anything to indicate the current charging state?

If so, try tapping that to see if it has other options (like MTP/ PTP modes).

Reactions: upx
Upvote 0
I don't have my 5X handy, but it may be defaulting to "Charge Only" mode when you make the USB connection. Is there a notification or anything to indicate the current charging state?

If so, try tapping that to see if it has other options (like MTP/ PTP modes).

Thanks, that seems to have worked. In the phone's swipe down Notifications screen - there was a "USB connected" item -- then a choice of "Photos" or "Files". Clicking on Files lead to the auto mounting of the phone's drives.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I've been using the Honor 5X for a couple weeks now as a tester for Huawei. I'm not the best at writing out comprehensive reviews that touch on all the features, but I'll do my best to answer your questions on this exciting new phone.

So go ahead, as me anything.:)
I've been using the Honor 5X for a couple weeks now as a tester for Huawei. I'm not the best at writing out comprehensive reviews that touch on all the features, but I'll do my best to answer your questions on this exciting new phone.

I have been trying to access to an online drama website with Honors 5X but can't seem to be able to load . The site works well with my Honors 4X though. Any reason why this happens? Thanks

Upvote 0
I have been trying to access to an online drama website with Honors 5X but can't seem to be able to load . The site works well with my Honors 4X though. Any reason why this happens? Thanks
Hmm, I can't think of anything which would prevent a single device from accessing a certain site. Have you tried using a different browser?

Upvote 0

So go ahead, as me anything.:)[/QUOT
Hmm, I can't think of anything which would prevent a single device from accessing a certain site. Have you tried using a different browser?
Thanks! A different fixed the situation.

Upvote 0
Hello!

With all of my Previous phones I was able to select individual notification sounds for email, text, or certain app notifications. On this phone I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do this. Can this be done? How? Does it have anything to do with me using the free Nova launcher? For me, a text message is more important than being notified of constant junk mail! It's driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello!

With all of my Previous phones I was able to select individual notification sounds for email, text, or certain app notifications. On this phone I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do this. Can this be done? How? Does it have anything to do with me using the free Nova launcher? For me, a text message is more important than being notified of constant junk mail! It's driving me crazy.

Thanks!

I usually leave my phone on silent and rely upon my Android Wear device to alert me to notifications, but I believe that many email / text / apps which generate audio alerts will allow you to set specific notification sounds. Only when an app doesn't define its own sound (or it's set to a default value) will the system-level preference take over.

For instance, for email I can go into Inbox > Settings > (me)@gmail.com > Sound to configure my preferred sound. I can do the same for messages in Hangouts (Hangouts > Settings > (me)@gmail.com > Hangouts messages & invites > Sound).

On the Honor 5X, the stock apps generally provide the same options as well - you just need to dig into each application to see what options are available.

Upvote 0
I have an Honor 5x that lately usually doesn't ring when someone calls. I have tested it when I have good signal and it usually doesn't even ring on the phone but the person calling hears several rings before it goes to voicemail. I have verified that "Do Not Disturb" is turned off and have even tried a factory reset. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
SD Card Issue

I bought an Honor 5x a few months ago and immediately added a 128GB SD card. I set the SD card as the default storage location and began downloading books in my Logos library to the card. The phone was running Lollipop at the time and everything seemed to work fine. Sometime later the phone reset internal memory as the default. This may have happened coincident with the Marshmallow upgrade, but I don't really know when it happened. I only discovered the reset when my phone would no longer save books in my library and I realized my internal memory was full. I can reset the SD card as the storage default, but whenever the phone is restarted it tells me the SD card has been removed and it must restart to set internal memory as the default. I've tried using the SD card in my tablet and it seems to work fine there, so the card doesn't appear to be the problem. I've reformatted the card, but that didn't help. I've done a factory reset on the phone, and that hasn't helped. At this point, I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Hi,

I am trying to add another non-google account on huawei honor 5x, but I can't do it. I can add the ID of the new account, but not the password. After filling the ID, I can't tap "next" button because it's not active. The "manual setup" button is not active either. Could you please help?

And another question: I have two email accounts on gmail, I have already introduced the information of both (before having the above mentioned problem), but I see only one of the two accounts. Could you please, tell me how to see both of them?

Thank you.

Zurlita

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am trying to add another non-google account on huawei honor 5x, but I can't do it. I can add the ID of the new account, but not the password. After filling the ID, I can't tap "next" button because it's not active. The "manual setup" button is not active either. Could you please help?

And another question: I have two email accounts on gmail, I have already introduced the information of both (before having the above mentioned problem), but I see only one of the two accounts. Could you please, tell me how to see both of them?

Thank you.

Zurlita

At one time, I've had two google (email) accounts 'registered' on my Honor 5X. But no longer. From what I can see/remember, you can go into settings within the Gmail or Hangouts app, then press on the downward pointing triangle to the right of your email address. This will give you the option of switching to another account, or 'add' or 'manage' other accounts.
Even if you select one or the other as your 'primary' or 'current' account, you should still receive notifications for all of your (google) accounts that you've signed into on your phone.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hi, I put my sim card into the phone and it gave me some options asking if it's a prepaid or post paid sim, not knowing what that means I picked the wrong option and was wondering if I can change it at all.

Thanks

I can't imagine this making any impact on performance. I would think that the setup asked you the question so it would give you options to set notifications for tracking usage to give you warnings about exceeding data/messages/minutes. Is it not working?

Upvote 0
Just got this update notice today,

KIW-L24C567B351, 237 MB
"contains latest January Google security patches and a few important fixes"
Has anyone tried it?
Any problems or noticeable improvements?

PS - I'm weary of updates. After the Lollipop to Marshmallow update, switching apps usually takes much longer because they seem to need to be reloaded back into RAM. With no obvious improvements otherwise, I wish I had not made that update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SD Card Issue

I bought an Honor 5x a few months ago and immediately added a 128GB SD card. I set the SD card as the default storage location and began downloading books in my Logos library to the card. The phone was running Lollipop at the time and everything seemed to work fine. Sometime later the phone reset internal memory as the default. This may have happened coincident with the Marshmallow upgrade, but I don't really know when it happened. I only discovered the reset when my phone would no longer save books in my library and I realized my internal memory was full. I can reset the SD card as the storage default, but whenever the phone is restarted it tells me the SD card has been removed and it must restart to set internal memory as the default. I've tried using the SD card in my tablet and it seems to work fine there, so the card doesn't appear to be the problem. I've reformatted the card, but that didn't help. I've done a factory reset on the phone, and that hasn't helped. At this point, I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?
The problem is now worse than before. Now, every time I set SD card as the default storage location, the phone immediately tells me (after taking a few minutes to check the SD card) the card has been removed and the phone must restart to reset the default to internal memory. At that point I have no other option. I cannot do anything with the phone unless I first "OK" the restart.

Of course the SD card has not been removed. In regular use, the phone reads the card without any problem. I only have a problem when I try to set the card as my default. As it is, I can no longer save anything to the card even though it has 91GB free.

Do I have a defective phone?

Upvote 0
The problem is now worse than before. Now, every time I set SD card as the default storage location, the phone immediately tells me (after taking a few minutes to check the SD card) the card has been removed and the phone must restart to reset the default to internal memory. At that point I have no other option. I cannot do anything with the phone unless I first "OK" the restart.

Of course the SD card has not been removed. In regular use, the phone reads the card without any problem. I only have a problem when I try to set the card as my default. As it is, I can no longer save anything to the card even though it has 91GB free.

Do I have a defective phone?

1. Have you tried contacting Huawei ?
2. Have you tried resetting the phone ?
3. Have you tried the latest update ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones