Horrible battery life no matter the kernal.

Last Updated:

1. fvrthebrave

fvrthebrave Member This Topic's Starter

Right now I am using the latest virtuous ROM plus a hydra OCUV kernal and my battery drains insanely fast. I went from 100% to a 92% charge in literally 10 minutes with almost no use at all. Could this be a problem with my phone, or just a bad ROM/Kernal combo?

UPDATE: Flashed Warm 2.2 and went from 100% to 93% in less than 5 minutes.

Advertisement
  2. K20Z1TypeS

K20Z1TypeS Active Member

its something internally in the phone. just use a battery cradle to charge your batteries with. and get the seidio 1750mah battery if you dont want the htc 2150 mah.

3. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

This is a known issue with our phone, the last 10% doesn't count. You charge to 100 and it goes to 90 super fast, you have to bump charge for it to work.

4. androidxen

androidxen Well-Known Member

The time it takes for 100% to reach 90% is extraordinarily short. The rest of your battery life readings will be more accurate. I personally wouldn't worry about it if you're only concerned about how it reaches 90% in ten minutes...

5. EinZtein

EinZtein Well-Known Member

This is the old bump charge problem in all Incredibles.

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

This is the ol' bump charge issue in all phones.

7. fvrthebrave

Yeah, I can see that now. I left my phone unplugged with the screen off and it went from 100% to 97% in hours. Right as I turn the screen on, it goes from 97% to 95% in about 5 min. XD

8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah if it's a concern, you can charge it with the power off. Then you shouldn't see the drastic reduction in the top 10%. Also, resetting battery stats in CWM can help with general battery drop that doesn't seem expected. To be honest, I quit bump charging long ago and just consider 90ish% to 0% my range and have chosen a Rom/kernel that maximize the life of that span.

9. fvrthebrave

I thought I had a decent ROM/Kernal combo, but it was dropping quickly even after 90%. Now I'm on Warm 2.2, which supposedly has worse battery life, but every phone is different so we will see.

10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah I'm on Myn's Warm also but I stayed on version 3 b/c some people were mentioning worse life with version 4. Not sure if that's even the case but I get such great battery life from it that I see no reason to change. By far the best battery I've ever seen on the Incredible. I stuck with the stock kernel (Adrynalyne's) and reset battery stats after flashing and then recharging to full.

11. smtom

smtom Member

If you are seeing poor battery life w/ any ROM/kernel combination, perhaps look at a couple other things:

How many, and with what frequency, are you syncing items?
    If the answer is many, frequently, start there. If the answer is a few, frequently, well - you get the picture.

Is BT, GPS, WiFi on all the time? Is screen brightness high? Take a look there too.

Are you o/c the ROM/kernel? If so, perhaps back it down to stock speed and see if that changes anything.

hth

12. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I can get over 48 hours with normal use on warm and I could do the same before I rooted (have an extended battery.) If anything my life is a little better because I have a screen off profile in setCPU. Although, I have noticed overnight I'm losing more battery then I was on stock 2.2. Kind of strange. I keep my screen on minimum, wifi, mobile network and sync all off and last night I lost about 17%. Stock I would lose about 5% tops.

13. mahsan88

mahsan88 Well-Known Member

I say the drop from 100% to 93% is the worst! I can literally take it off the charger, keep my screen on and just swipe through my screens and watch it drop to 93% in a matter of 1-3 minutes.

Bump charging is annoying, but i usually charge my phone all night so that my alarm goes off, then i turn my phone off, and it will stay red for AT LEAST another 45-60 minutes. It goes to show how much more juice the battery ACTUALLY needs to be fully charged. for some reason i feel like my entire battery life improves. on the days i bump charge my battery is a an effing beast!! I can easily go 30+ hours with heavy usage! and on the days i do not, it sucks ass. For instance today, unplugged at 11:20 AM and used it very lightly for about an hour and right now at 4:00 pm it is at 52%

Bump charging has a HUGE affect on the battery, it is a bitch to go through and wait another 45 minutes, but wake up and turn the phone off, while you shower get ready and eat, your battery will be full.

Joe Eris likes this.
  14. fvrthebrave

I got out of class and I was at 74%. Its been five minutes and I'm at 67%

15. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

What size battery do you have? I use a 1500 and a stock 1300 (I have an inexpensive external charger... hint) and even if I turn the phone off it only takes the most 25 minutes with the 1500. Stock bumps in 15.

16. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I have the HTC Express 1800 battery and bump charging takes well over an hour. Some batteries just take longer to bump than others. Sucks, but what are you gona do.

17. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Wow, that would suck. I couldn't do that without an external charger.

18. jesssiii

jesssiii Active Member

Is bumping the battery just charging while phone is off? Or is it more?

19. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

That's all it is.

20. Joe Eris

Joe Eris Well-Known Member

Bump charging has a HUGE affect on the battery, it is a bitch to go through and wait another 45 minutes, but wake up and turn the phone off, while you shower get ready and eat, your battery will be full.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I do

21. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Some folks need their phone on a consistent basis and really can't do the 45 minute thing, although I've never had to wait that long. For a measly $15 you can buy another 1500 battery with an external charger and swap them out on a daily basis. That's what I do.

22. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member

You can also download Reboot Manager which enables a scheduled shut-down which will result in an "automatic bump charge."

I set it to shut my Dinc down about an hour before I have to get up and when I do, I've got a bump-charged, green LED, Dinc.

Obviously, if your Dinc is your alarm that solution won't work.

23. jesssiii

jesssiii Active Member

I've been bumping last couple of days and if there's a difference, it's slight. I can get through work if I charge in the car, to and from. Got worse when switched from ATT DSL to TW Cable -their wifi sucks, keep losing connection and when I have it, I can't connect to the Internet it's so sluggish. I do have a backup battery I carry but no external charger for it yet.
    Thought rooting would help but if anything it's worse.

24. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

25. My2k1rS

My2k1rS Member

I have always had a problem with battery life. I also have two 1500mAh batteries with an external charger, and before the update to 2.2 I was only able to get about 5-6 hours of battery life, sometimes using all 3 batteries over the course of the day. Once I rooted and set a screen off profile in SetCPU I noticed a measureable increase in battery life, so I started digging deeper and installed Virtuous with his customer ROM, and it got even better. at this point I was getting about 9-10 hours unplugged. That still wasnt my best increase though. After installing Juice Defender (and Juice Plotter to go with it) I can now go 24 hours plus on my factory 1300 battery, even longer on the 1500's (right now I show 16h 14m remaining with 75% charge after moderate usage this morning). I should also mention that I am a power user, and that my awake time is usually about 40% of my up time in the battery stats menu.