• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Horrible Battery Life - S2 LTE

MPetro19

Lurker
Dec 29, 2013
Hey Guys

Over the past few months, I've noticed some terrible battery drain on my phone to the point that it will not last a day. Before this, I was able to have my phone charged by 9am (when I leave for work in the morning) until I go to bed at night.. which would be around 20% before plugging it in for the night.

Now a days, I'm lucky if I make it until 5pm and I don't understand why. I haven't installed any new apps, and have most of my syncing off / or every few hours.

1.) Model Number ? SGH-I727R
2.) Firmware Version ? 4.1.2
3.) Baseband Version ? I727RUXUMA7
4.) Kernel Version ? 3.031-885181
5.) Build Number ? JZO54K.I727RUXUMA7

Some other notes:
- Phone isn't rooted
- Running GO Launcer
- Weather/Calendar widget on homescreen. Weather updates every 4 hours
- Facebook updates when opened
- Wifi off, bluetooth off, GPS off
- Brightness is set to the lowest setting
- Power saving mode is on
- Screen timeout - 15 seconds
- No hyptic feedback on keypress

... As you can see, I've tried a lot. I've also replaced the battery once. The cellphone place said it could be a hardware problem on my phone as well.

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Cheers

I never keep the screen on all day. I make it a habit that after I check Facebook, or reply to a text (or whatever) I press the power button to turn off the display and lock the phone. Typically, I'd see between 45-50% usage for the screen.

To give another example... I woke up this morning, with my phone at 100%. Checked some emails, replied to a few BBMs, and checked Facebook. I dropped 2% in about 5 minutes.

Here's a screenshot of the signal

Screenshot_2013-12-29-15-55-54_zps203f166e.png

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll try those two out.

I like knowing when I get a BBM message, or text, or notification from a Facebook message so I don't want to have everything turned off when the phone's display is off. That will just cause me unlocking it more often and using up more of the screen display usage.

Upvote 0
I have a custom profile for DS battery saver that only shuts down stuff I really want off during the night.

Wavelock is just a diagnostic that you need to run for a few days and keep reading it's in app help to get the best out of it.I had a couple of apps that weren't playing nice and or their updates caused problems so went back to my saved back older versions(Es File Explorer<free>) is superb for this,among other things :)

Upvote 0
During the night wouldn't matter for me as I'll have it plugged in, but I can see how this app could help throughout the day. Will I still receive push notifications from BBM/Facebook/SMS regardless?

I noticed that my GO Locker was using the most amount of time in WakeLock. I was just using the default theme too :(

Is it possible that there could be a hardware issue? I read somewhere that it's possible that my phone could not be charging to 100% even though it says fully charged... but I would need to root it and do some battery calibration stuff which seemed like a lot of work.

Pretty crazy that last year I had almost all the same apps, with a more frequent sync setting and had zero problems. Now... this. I was tempted to get the S4, just because this is so frustrating but I'm going to hold out to see what they launch in the new year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones