Horrible Battery life with BB .4

Last Updated:

1. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well lately my battery life has been horrid. If I am lucky I get 7-8 hours. That's with little to no internet use and just texting. Like now I'm at 70% and my phones been unplugged for 1 hour and all I have done is text a little and browse Facebook via the app for a little. I'm using BB .4 with the stock kernel. I was gettin better battery life than this before, but idk what happened.

Can anyone help me out?

Advertisement
  2. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

check what apps and services are running

I was using BB .4 and could go almost 2 days with out a charge and thats with lots of data and texting.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Are you using Beautiful Widgets with Geolocation and GPS on? I've had this cause serious battery problems as it constantly accesses the GPS. Check your battery usage after the phone has been on for several hours under Settings > About Phone > Battery Use and see what the primary culprit is.

Also, if you're overclocked make sure you have profiles set up in SetCPU so you underclock the processor when the screen is off.

4. Knitewulf

The primary factor is Display using taking over half of the battery usage. Android systems is usually the second culprit. I'll see what apps are running and check out the beautiful widgets thing too. Thanks guys

Edit: BWs wasn't using geolocation or gps. I checked the apps running and the only one I could notice that might use a lot of battery was MSN Droid was constantly running. I had a lot of other apps constantly running as well though. LOL sites, Facebook, Battery left, Batterytime lite, and more. I'm thinking the first 2 use some pretty good battery life.

5. vincentp

It's normal for display to use most of the battery if you're using the phone regularly, but it's not normal for it to die that quickly. You may want to try another kernel or even another ROM. Do you keep the display at 100% brightness?

6. Knitewulf

Edit 2: Gmail Unread Count is constantly running too. Could that be a problem? I have a lot of widgets that access the internet (Gaming, Mobile news, Tech buzz, Sports news, etc.) Besides that I have a lot of other widgets.

Also no its at the lowest display setting. I'm thinking I should try a new kernel.

7. vincentp

I would try a new kernel. It doesn't seem to me like any of those things are draining considerable amounts of charge since display is still up at the top.

Knitewulf likes this.
  8. Knitewulf

alright, I will. Thank you

Edit: Running on Chevys LV 1.1ghz let's see how it works.

9. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

10. vincentp

Hmm.. that's odd. I installed the Facebook update and haven't noticed any decrease in battery life yet.

11. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

maybe you got lucky or didnt get the update ...

mine is at 15% right now .... normally it would be at 70%

12. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member

It's most likely the new facebook app update. It runs 24/7 and won't let your phone sleep. Revert back to the previous version and see if that fixes it.

13. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

I had to revert back as well. I am using BB .4 and I didn't have any problems until I updated my FB app. But, if I am not mistaken there was another update today to FB. There has not been any confirmation that I have found if it was because of the battery life problem or not, but we will see I guess.

I would not blame your battery life woes on BB though. I honestly haven't really heard anything but good things from BB. They have always given me and others I know really good results in terms of battery life.

Hope it works out for you though.

14. Knitewulf

Thanks all of you, but this was before the Facebook update as well. I have lithium mod now so we will see how that works.

15. Saiyan_Prince

Saiyan_Prince Well-Known Member

I switched to Lithium Mod with Jdlfg 1.1ghz v 32.2.3 for Lithium Mod from BB v0.4 with p3 kernel and chevys kernel. And a kangerade ROM with Chevys kernel. And i am having a little more success with this combo than any other i've tried. Well, i did sign off facebook. Lets see how it goes with it turned on. Was going from 8-12 hours battery life to 18 hrs and 30% left. So much better.