• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help horrible horible battery life with samsung infuse. anyone else?

strodda

Android Enthusiast
May 11, 2011
I've let it run dead and recharged it a few times. And still today, with the phone off/sleep, while in my locker at work, dropped 18% in two hours. Just sitting there!!!

Why am I getting such terrible battery life? I've been hearing good things about the battery, yet im seeing none of it.

The only things running are battery indicator and widgetlocker. But with the screen off, even that shouldn't matter.

I've let it run dead and recharged it a few times. And still today, with the phone off/sleep, while in my locker at work, dropped 18% in two hours. Just sitting there!!!

Why am I getting such terrible battery life? I've been hearing good things about the battery, yet im seeing none of it.

The only things running are battery indicator and widgetlocker. But with the screen off, even that shouldn't matter.

Not sure if the Infuse does what the Evo does. The Evo will usually drop the first 10% charge in about 20 minutes after it was taken off the charger. Something in the way the battery charges when on the charger.

Upvote 0
Not only does my battery run down ridiculously fast, but...

(all setting tweaked to preserve battery and obsessively turning off active apps via task manager - no widgets, screen on lowest setting, wifi and data off when not absolutely necessary, location services/GPS always off, all syncing off, etc.),

...it takes roughly 3.5 hours to charge back up from a wall outlet while being turned off the whole time???!!!!!! WTF???!!!

I cycled the battery at least 4 times and no sign of improvement. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Has anybody seen any extended batteries, because I really want to like this phone, but I will go back to the tiny iphone 4 screen before my 30 days if this isn't remedied by then. :mad::(:thinking:

Upvote 0
Ome of you must have got some bum batteries. I switched from the Atrix, which I had 3 batteries for and used all 3 a day. Now I go an entire day on 1 charge with heavy use. {wifi all day, Bluetooth, and GPS a few hours, and tons of video and games.} It also only takes about an hour if that from wall charge. If you are using 3rd party chargers or computer usb that adds tons of charge time at lower voltage.

Upvote 0
I have been using my Inspire 4g for the past two months and have been frustrated with battery life as well. Found some really good tips, so would like to share.

This app will plot the battery use (give it a day to gather data)

Juice Plotter (FREE)

This Widget allows you to kill apps with one click

Android Booster

This app will kill automatically tasks behind the scene, upon waking

Automatic task killer

Note: if you are an HTC user, stop syncing with the HTC Hub that was draining my battery the most.

Upvote 0
I was having issues as well with bad battery life. My battery was draining at between 9 and 15 percent per hour with moderate use. I almost took the phone back. But I noticed that my home screens were scrolling rather slowly. What I realized was I was using way too many widgets. I was using a ton of unnecessary widgets plus some that I had downloaded. So I removed some of the widgets I didn't need and kept a few that I really can't live without. I also noticed that my screen brightness was fluctuating quite frequently even for the most minor of changes in light. So I turned off the automatic brightness and set it to 1/3 of the highest possible brightness setting. Even at this setting I can see it pretty well in bright sunlight. After doing this, I have dropped 46% in 9 hours with moderate use. That's only a little over 5% per hour. So I'm assuming that's what my issue was.

Upvote 0
I used my phone off and on for 8hrs at work last night and it still had power a few hours after work for phone calls ect.. Then is finally said to plug in because it was getting low. My iphone 3G I had before this phone would of already been dead. lol.. That phone used up battery life before my shift would end at work.
So, I am enjoying this one so far... its battery is much better than my iphone.

Reactions: Aatos.1
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if I should go and exchange my phone due to battery issues. I'm at 74% after 3h22m with 45 minutes of call time. Is this an acceptable range or should I look to replace the phone? I can mostly get through the day unless I use the GPS for extended periods of time but I'm wondering if it could be better. I love this phone a lot but it seems like it could last a bit longer on a charge.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am now at 39% battery life after 9 hours and 26 minutes still wondering if the time I'm seeing is worth trying another unit or not? One thing I forgot to mention is that I have push exchange email enabled. I'm mostly OK with the battery life but it seems shorter than my old iPhone 4 (charged once every 1.5-2 days as opposed to every night). Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Here's a typical post in nearly every Android forum:

My (insert ANY Android phone model) gets _HORRIBLE_ battery life!

So why is this?

It's simple. Android smartphones are a true handheld computer.

A mini laptop if you will. Therefore like any laptop, battery life is the responsibility of the user. Androids have file systems just like PC's have windows explorer and Macs have the finder.

Just like laptops the one component that draws the most juice is the display. When you have a large display of 4.0" or larger you must learn how to manage battery life. It's _not_ the phones fault, or Android.

When you first get your phone it's tempting to just load it up with apps and use it without taking time to learn about it. Therefore people are way too quick to jump to conclusions, go negative and give up. Blame the phone and take it back or worse, quit Android before giving it a chance.

Out of the box, every new phone is set to defaults which are only starting points. It's up to you to setup the phone for the way you will be using it. It's up to you to not jump to conclusions. Spend some time exploring here, this forum has great learning resources.

To those of you who immediately compare it to your iPhone you _must_ know this:

An iPhone is nothing more than a slightly more capable iPod. Originally designed as a media player, it now includes a phone.

That's why apps are crucial to an iPhone since without them it can't do what a handheld computer can do. I'm not bashing iPhones either. I have lots of experience with those as well. But they _are_ much different from Android.

ALSO: it has a _very tiny 3.5" screen. When dealing with such a relatively small screen, the power requirements are a lot less. Increasing the size to 4" or larger is a HUGE increase in proportions.

So take these things into consideration and suddenly the whole picture changes for the better.

I love Android phones!

Granted by now I have had over 25, plus I've educated myself on the Android operating system. But the point is you can to. It only requires a little patience and a positive open minded approach.

Remember, your phone was designed by highly skilled engineers that know what is required to build a good phone.

The bottom line is, they will all vary somewhat from model to model. But if you do your part, the rewards are terrific.

I hope this helps you put things into perspective, and motivates you to learn and enjoy Android.

Cheers :)

Upvote 0
I have had my Samsung Infuse for a few months now. I was having problems with my battery not lasting a day. I always waited for my battery to notify me to charge before I chared it. Yesterday I ordered an external battery charger to have with me to keep my phone charged. Then I started looking looking around on my phone and this is what I found. I went to my settings, then applications, then running services, listed there were so many applications that were running, some for over 109 hours!!!!!:eek: If you select it you can shut the application down. Some of them have restarted on their own. I just check it throughout the day and close those that have started. My battery is still almost completely charged at the end of the day! Hope this helps others.

Upvote 0
I have had my Samsung Infuse for a few months now. I was having problems with my battery not lasting a day. I always waited for my battery to notify me to charge before I chared it. Yesterday I ordered an external battery charger to have with me to keep my phone charged. Then I started looking looking around on my phone and this is what I found. I went to my settings, then applications, then running services, listed there were so many applications that were running, some for over 109 hours!!!!!:eek: If you select it you can shut the application down. Some of them have restarted on their own. I just check it throughout the day and close those that have started. My battery is still almost completely charged at the end of the day! Hope this helps others.

That isnt like a running window on ur pc... It works different on Droid... The running services is more like a cookie... Next time u click that app it will load quicker and run faster based on how u used it before... At least thats what Ive been told?? The ones around here know more than i... But the way i heard it it made since...

Ive never had a problem with the battery... Plug in at night unplug in morning... And trust me i am streaming.. Downloading.. And surfing constantly...I use no advanced task manager to constantly stop apps... I only use the stock one when apps act buggy...

This argument is beat to death on this forum... Some praise some shun... I say its doing better than all my evo friends...

Upvote 0
Well, my thing to saving battery life is install a custom rom (on gingerbread), which allows more battery life. I used to get maybe 9 hours on battery, now i get 12-15 hours no matter what. I also undervolt my cpu sometimes, which also helps. Trying apps to save battery also works, but remember it sometimes works though. If battery life still consists it is bad, get a new battery, if it still, then go back to stock settings, and lower brightness.

Upvote 0
I do the same - carry an extra battery with me and use a phone case that goes on and off easily. Battery changes are quick and easy.

There are chargers made to charge the extra batteries and you can get them with the batteries on eBay or Amazon. I've had difficulty at times with the eBay non-brand chargers. Sometimes they think a battery is full when it isn't and won't charge the battery. Therefore, I ordered a Samsung brand battery and charger from Amazon. So far it's working well. I just don't worry about it now.

Note: I was just out of the country for a few weeks with data roaming turned off. I couldn't believe how long the battery lasted without data turned on.

Upvote 0
For me, the battery lasts from morning ( ~ 8 AM) to about 7 PM with moderate/full use, and it'll be yellow and in nearing the danger zone around 8 PM.

I don't have my phone rooted or with a custom rom or any of that awesome stuff, just regular old Infuse 4G out of the box. I don't kill tasks like crazy (in fact, aside from the music player, I let the OS decide when to shut off apps in the background).

One thing I did notice though is that the battery was draining massively when I had the GPS on. Even though it's technically supposed to use it only when apps requiring it run, for some reason, it would suck out the battery life like a leech (I didn't even make it to 4 or 5 hours with GPS enabled).

Other than that though, I find the battery life to be quite stellar (and I use a lot of website surfing, about 1 to 2 hours of music playing, although not much video surfing).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones