• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Horrible lag, Map/GPS related

My phone has generally been pretty responsive, running ota 2.1 and a handful of other apps. But Friday, it was almost unusable. Terrible lag, taking 5 or 6 seconds to register whatever input I would do.

The only thing different was that I'd been using Google Maps earlier in the day to track traffic, and I was presently in an area without a good view of the sky. I hadn't completely backed out of the Map app, and it was trying to get a signal.

Once I closed the map app., the phone was happy again. I'm sure there are a million other apps that hog resource space when not operating properly, but this one literally made the phone worthless. Guessing that's what a lot of others are seeing, but it was new to me.

mg

I had the same problem happen several weeks ago. I had used Google Maps to navigate to Disneyland. After we reached our destination, I backed out of the program (coming from a BlackBerry). I was having great lag while trying to phone or text. But the really scary part was how hot the phone got. It was in my purse and actually melted two candybars that were in the outside part of my purse. I turned the phone off and it still wouldn't cool down, so I had to remove the extremely hot battery. I put it back in a little bit later, but it started heating up again. I removed it and left it out until we got home. It has been fine since, but I installed a task killer that I use now to kill Google Maps and the camera, because the camera also causes lag for me.

Upvote 0
....... But the really scary part was how hot the phone got. It was in my purse and actually melted two candybars that were in the outside part of my purse. I turned the phone off and it still wouldn't cool down, so I had to remove the extremely hot battery. I put it back in a little bit later, but it started heating up again. I removed it and left it out until we got home. It has been fine since, but I installed a task killer that I use now to kill Google Maps and the camera, because the camera also causes lag for me.

Interesting, as my phone was really hot, but figured it was due to the 100 gazzillion degree temp we were having last week. Once I turned off the map app., I went indoors to an a/c office and the phone cooled off.

I don't use a task killer, but do occassionally go into services running and shut stuff down that doesn't need to be there. Wish I'd checked that first, but the phone was running so badly probably would've never loaded applications app, which takes forever anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones