horrible trackball?

Last Updated:

1. maddmatt02

maddmatt02 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

alright, fedex truck just left and I have a hero sitting in front of me, well, I hope this isnt how they all are. I searched a couple forums and only saw one mention of a loose trackball and noone else commented on it saying theres was/wasnt like that.

I mean it does roll under your finger so im sure it will do what its supposed to, but I was playing with a G1 last night, and the trackball is SO much better. it stays right where its supposed to while youre rolling it around, doesnt fall, no side to side or top to bottom play. this one flops all over the place inside its little hole. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the fact that it is also a button because the G1 didnt have this problem.

just seeing if its something I have to deal with or are they not all like this.

(cant wait til this thing is charged to play with it though)

Advertisement
  2. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

Mine moves around in its hole a bit like you mention, but it works perfectly fine. I've seen trackballs like this before. It's just the way some are designed.

3. etbrandt

etbrandt Well-Known Member

No that sounds like a defective device. Only real issue with the trackball is no way to adjust the sensitivity that I know of.

4. maddmatt02

alright, if it works then I guess its ok, but it sure doesnt have the "tight" feel of the BB or G1 I was using yesterday. just feels higher quality on those phones.

5. maddmatt02

oh, well I guess I was busy replying when that last one came through, Ill see if the sprint store here has heros in that I can compare with this one I have now.

6. etbrandt

etbrandt Well-Known Member

Ah, maybe I misunderstood. Yeah it is not as tight as a berry. The clicking action is far more sensitive too. But I think you will find you won't use it too often, comparatively
    ;)

7. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

Yeah, honestly all I use it for is correcting mistakes when I'm typing. Easier than trying to find the sweetspot on the touchpad when trying to put the cursor between two letters.

8. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

its your money and you have 30 days to try it out. if you dont like the trackball, dont settle for what we are saying here.. yours could indeed have an issue. take it in to a sprint corp store and have them replace it. you are under no obligation to keep something that you feel may be defective. if they do not comply, then get a refund, however i dont see them giving you any issues.

also, the G1 and other devices are not the htc hero so you cant really compare as those are apple and kiwi's (changing up that phrase a little!). i had a BB curve and BB tour and those trackballs were vastly different. and those are different than the hero's trackball..

so take it into a store and have them smoke it over...

9. maddmatt02

well, went to the local sprint store today, and they didnt have any heros in stock, the guy at the counter called another guy out from the back because he said he hadnt messed with a hero but that the other guy had set up a few, and he told me that its normal, that they are all just a little loose and arent as tight a fit as a blackberry. I sort of know him outside of just him being a sprint employee so hopefully hed have no reason to lie to me.

10. wbbgjr

wbbgjr Active Member

If I have my Hero in landscape mode then sometimes rolling the trackball gets stuck. No problems other than looseness in portrait mode. Anybody experiencing that?

11. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Active Member

i wish they had a adjustment for the track ball, mines seems slow..
    app maybe?

12. flexte

flexte Well-Known Member

coming from winmo this is my first device with a trackball and i thought it was extremely loose but had nothing to compare it with. i think mine is so loose tht a few times if i shook my phone the ball would move and cause the page to jump.

13. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

I never had a trackball on a phone before, but I LOVE it. I use it all the time. It's a life saver when I'm entering text and trying to positioning the cursor on a letter within the text I'm typing.

It also works well when scrolling thru menu or screen options and making selections.

14. illini

illini Well-Known Member

im the same way thats all i use it for.