• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Horror Story] Asurion will ONLY give you an Eris for your Droid as of yesterday afternoon

I don't understand this at all. First off, I upgraded to the Droid when it came out in November and bought the insurance VZW offered to protect it. Now, 7 months into my upgrade cycle I can no longer get the phone I want if something happens to it? I could be stuck with a phone I don't want for a year and a half if my Droid died today? This sounds like a lawsuit in the making. Not sure whose fault it is (Asurion or VZW) but it sure seems to me that someone has broken the contract we all signed when we got our Droids. How on earth can a phone like the Droid that has been a huge hit only have a product life of 7 months?:thinking:

Upvote 0
I don't understand this at all. First off, I upgraded to the Droid when it came out in November and bought the insurance VZW offered to protect it. Now, 7 months into my upgrade cycle I can no longer get the phone I want if something happens to it? I could be stuck with a phone I don't want for a year and a half if my Droid died today? This sounds like a lawsuit in the making. Not sure whose fault it is (Asurion or VZW) but it sure seems to me that someone has broken the contract we all signed when we got our Droids. How on earth can a phone like the Droid that has been a huge hit only have a product life of 7 months?:thinking:

Did you read the contract? I didn't, but I doubt either company would knowing put themselves in position to be sued.

Upvote 0
I just dropped my insurance. I called Verizon and this was the basic conversation

Me: I want to drop my insurance

VZW: You know you cannot add it back, right?

Me: Yes. My understanding is that if I break my Motorola Droid they will replace it with an HTC Droid Eris or Motorola Devour.

VZW: That is correct.

Me: Ok, cancel it.

VZW: Done.

Interestingly enough, I was only paying $5.99 for the Asurion insurance. Not sure why mine wasn't $7.99 like most others. I do have a discounted rate (15% off my line, 20% off data) but I didn't think that applied to the warranty in any way--plus that's 25% cheaper. Weird.

Upvote 0
....If you use the insurance to get a replacement any time after 15 months, you're paying at least $200 -- the same amount you paid for the original (with contract) and for a phone that is no longer current technology....

That's true as far as it goes. But if you don't have the insurance and have to replace your phone, you are not going to get the "with contract" price are you? Aren't you going to have to pay the full price? Verizon still lists the Droid for sale on its web site at:

Full Retail Price $559.99 Price with 2yr contract $249.99 Online Discount - 100.00 Your Price $149.99
The Incredible is $529 and the Droid X $569 . So if you are not in the window to do a new contract, you are kind of screwed.

Upvote 0
Interestingly enough, I was only paying $5.99 for the Asurion insurance. Not sure why mine wasn't $7.99 like most others.

5.99 is the Accidental damage insurance. The other $2 is for the extended warranty. People that added "insurance" at the store just got both added on. Ordering the phone online would give a more clear choice of either one or both.

Upvote 0
FYI...a certified pre-owned Motorola Droid purchased through Verizon is $289.99 (no contract required). I called them today (as many of you did) and asked them about this. They do have some in stock, but they can't guarantee they will be around for any period of time. I'd rather take my chances with getting something like this and drop insurance.

And for the record, a certified pre-owned Eris is $169.99.

Upvote 0
All the Verizon stores I've been to are still selling the droid to get rid of their back stock before the Droid X comes out, hence the buy one get one sale for them. and also the insurance won't load up on a phone that is out of date b/c of that very reason, they're not in production they don't want to be stuck with a bunch they won't "need" (their thinking, not mine of course)
I had a similar problem to this (down to dropping it in the toilet lol) and was pissed with my options called costumer service and easily put me on the order list for the Incredible with no fight. So just ask, the web will only give you what its programed to give you, so call if you don't like the options.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with my eris, theywouldn't give me a droid, even after offering to pay the difference between the upgrade cost (50 bucks) and the full retail cost of a droid, I too felt lonely and abused. The good thing now, I HAVE A DROID. and if i do have any issues I always go to the verizon store, ask for the manager, and calmly explain my case to him. it usually works, and i look like some young punk, I'm only 20. ha ha. but over 10 phones in two years is a bit ridiculous as well. ha ha.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with my eris, theywouldn't give me a droid, even after offering to pay the difference between the upgrade cost (50 bucks) and the full retail cost of a droid, I too felt lonely and abused. The good thing now, I HAVE A DROID. and if i do have any issues I always go to the verizon store, ask for the manager, and calmly explain my case to him. it usually works, and i look like some young punk, I'm only 20. ha ha. but over 10 phones in two years is a bit ridiculous as well. ha ha.

I was having issues with my Eris and they actually sent me a Moto Droid. The only problem was that they didn't include the battery, battery cover, or charger. They tried to take it back when I called, but after a bit of complaining I was able to get the rest of the phone, as well as credit for my "inconvenience" :D

Upvote 0
I just had the same problem. I spilled water on my Droid, and it was dead. I called Asurion and the person I spoke with gave me the same run-around saying the Droid is out of stock and that all they had were the Droid Eris or the Moto Devour. After reading these forums I knew to keep pushing and demand to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor kept saying that those two phones were all he was authorized to give out. Also, they kept saying that they were comparable to the Droid. I sited several differences to the contrary, even differences that were noted on their on website. They didn't seem to care.

He suggested I call the corporate office, and gave me the number. He even went as far as saying he would forward my info to them so they would be expecting my call. I called them the next day as this was a Sunday evening. I got transfered around a few times, but I eventually got to the office of the CEO. I didn't actually speak with the actual CEO, but they said it was his office. The guy on the phone here had a completely different attitude. He was nice, helpful, and seemed to genuinely care. I explained to him the situation, and said that i'm sure this isn't the first time he has heard of this with Droid users.

Miraculously out of nowhere he said they now have Droids in stock now to sent out to me, and thats what I had him do. What I then realized was that this was a bunch of bull. They always had the Droids. They just want to git rid of the Eris's and Devours. The only reason I got a Droid is because I kept pushing. You mean to tell me they got a delivery of new Droids between 8pm Sunday night and 7am Monday morning? It must have been an unexpected delivery because the clerks the night before knew nothing of the incoming Droids.

In conclusion, don't let them tell you they don't have the Droids. They do. You just have to be firm and push all the way up to the corporate office. It may be a pain to do this, but in the end its a lot better than downgrading to inferior phones you don't want.

Hope this helps guys, sorry its such a long post...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones