Hosed my phone? Need some help

Last Updated:

1. bdaddy

bdaddy Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, here's what I've done:

Was previously 2.1 (from verizon), I rolled back to 2.01, got root, then upgraded to 2.1 (rooted) following the instructions here:
    2.0.1 stock to 2.1 with root!!

At this point I used for a couple of weeks, but performance was slow and setCPU didn't work due to the kernel, so I wanted to try some different kernels/roms.

So today, I installed ROM manager (free), did flash ClockworkMod Recovery, then chose to do the basic install of CM mod (including backup and flash). It seemed to install fine, got to the screen asking for my gmail setup etc. Here it got confused (I got a forceclose message during the setup), but stayed open..I entered my gmail info, it synced, then got to screen asking to enter another account or press back to exit. I pressed back, but it kept me in the setup screen. Pressing Home, it told me no home app installed or some such, and basically wouldn't let me get out of the gmail setup. I tried a few more times to resetup my account and sync but could never exit. Finally powered down and rebooted.

Now it boots, I get the white motorolla sign, get the droid startup animation, then get to the red eye, but it hangs there and never gets past the red eye.

So what are my options here?

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Boot into recovery. Then factory do factory reset. See if it works then. If not there are plenty more options. Dont worry you arent bricked or even close to it

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

reboot into recovery manually and re flash the cyanogen rom, make sure you wipe system, data, and cache from the partition menu. then choose install zip from sd and navigate to clockworkmod>koush.romraid>then select 5.0.6.2, after do apply zip again and this time navigate to clockworkmod>briancook> and select gapps passion or something like that. reboot when your done.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Download a new ROM(your choice).. in whatever format(Nandroid,zip,tgz) with your PC. Boot your phone into recovery(by holding X on the hard keyboard while powering up, Then mount the SD. If you download a .zip, or .tgz, place it in the root of the SD card. If it is a nandroid, it will have to go into the clockworkmod/backups folder..IIRC. Then unmount the SD, and install the new ROM right there in recovery.

I have SPrecovery on my Droid right now, otherwise my instructions would be a little more specific.

EDIT: CRP's instructions are the better idea.. I don't have a whole lot of experience with CM...

2nd EDIT: Read above and below..

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

tgz format does not work with clockwork. Also any nandroid roms that are out there only work with SPR. I dont know of anyone distributing nandroids that are for clockwork. The two recoveries use two different formats for nandroids.

To the op you can go the route described in this post you just need to get a rom in update.zip format.

6. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Note to self: Make sure I know what I am talking about before I post something :eek:......

Honestly I ran clockwork recovery for a while.. but only flashed 1 ROM with it..hence my limited experience.. I did like not having to rename every .zip to install it,though.

Thanks OMJ for clearing it up so as not to confuse the OP:eek:

7. bdaddy

ok, tried just doing factory reset and cache wipe, and when I can get back into the gmail setup program, but when I hit the final "finish setup" button after sync, I get a "the application setup wizard (process.com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." force close. After force closing, the gmail account setup screen is shown again. if I hit home button I get "No recent applications", and back doesn't do anything but take me back to the first setup screen.

I tried this twice (resetting factory/user data/wiping cache) and both times failed at the above.

As to the suggestion about "reboot into recovery manually and re flash the cyanogen rom", I followed those instructions, but when I choose to apply .zip from SD card I don't see any folder "clockworkmod". Is it under some other root level folder?

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

if you downloaded the rom from rom mananger there should be a clockworkmod folder

Edit: The folders arent in aphla order so it may be at the bottom

9. bdaddy

I did, but I don't see one? Is it maybe because I did the wipe?

If I choose "choose zip from sdcard", I see the following directories:
    lost.dir/
    dcim/
    Android/
    sb2/
    Photos/
    Music/
    Video/
    Ringtones/
    layar/
    Roms/ (these are snes/nes roms FYI)
    com.usatoday.android.news/
    download/
    media/
    deadspinDroid/
    Nea-o-fun/
    andwobble/
    data/
    epocrates/
    tmp/
    mp3/
    TubeDownloader/
    iMusic/
    agilefusion/
    com.canofsleep.wwdiary/
    espeak-data
    twidroid
    newsrob
    TitaniumBackup/ (never got this to work)
    nandroid
    AndroidThemes

10. bdaddy

FYI - I still have the update.zip (I believe) on my SD card that was from the original 2.1 downgrade to 2.01, upgrade back to 2.1 with SU access. Can I just apply THAT zip? Or do I need to download something like bugless beast or CM and use that update.zip? ( I mean if I have to manually install since the clockworkmod folder isn't there)

11. bdaddy

OK, I'm really confused now. I'm just starting to understand that there are 2 recovery modes...I was using SPF recovery, but I guess after installing ROM manager and doing that "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", when I boot into recovery model I'm now in "clockworkmod" recovery. And I understand that isn't compatible with all rom updates? So for example, can I just download this update.zip and run via clockworkmod recovery?

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/55503-themed-rom-nexbeast-0-9-new-update-zips.html

Reason I ask is it says "only for use with spf recovery". So do I have specific update.zips I can load manually? (and if so, can someone point me to just a basic one that works with clockworkmod that I can get up and going with to kindof "start over").

12. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

You can use ClockworkMod recovery to load the Nexbeast ROM, or any ROM that's in update.zip format. As long as the file is an update.zip and not a nandroid file, you're good to go.

13. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

FYI its SPRecovery not spf. Not calling them by the correct name makes it harder for us to help!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

14. bdaddy

OK, thanks for all the help. I've installed bugless beast and at least have everything back up and running again. Now to figure out what exactly I did wrong! Thanks again for all the help!

15. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

If you decide to flash cyanogenmod again, make sure you wipe your system, cache, and data partitions first (and of course, do a nandroid backup of your working setup first).

I'd download the 5.0.6.2 ROM and Google add-on docs to anywhere on your SD card from the thread on the cyanogen forum (Cyanogenmod For Droid V5.0.6.2 (04/19/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum - the two links are in the OP), and then boot into Clockwork recovery from ROM manager, wipe system, data, and cache from partition menu, and then use the install zip from SD card option to install 5.0.6.2 and EPE54B.

Then reboot and set up your google accounts, etc. 99% likelihood of perfect install if you follow above.