HOT Droid X hereSupport

Last Updated:

1. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

Was trying out Navigation while in my car. Battery had about 30% charge when I left the house. Had GPS on, of course. Droid X was not plugged in, sitting in shade on passenger seat. After about 15 to 20 minutes, went to pick it up and it was very warm. I could hold it, but warmer than I'd ever felt my Eris. BatteryLife widget showed 125 degree F.

Also my battery went from 30% to shutting down within 5 minutes of my picking up the phone. So 20 to 25 minutes of GPS killed it. I've read the DX had a lope sided battery (long start, quick end). Of course this is just my 1st charge, and I did get about 12 hours with heavy use (WiFi, browser, apps, games). I just couldn't keep my hands off it today...

The drain isn't bothering me since it was just the 1st full charge, but the heat issue. Has anyone else noticed heat with the GPS on?

Advertisement
  2. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Nothing about the battery, the technology is the same across other phones.

GPS uses a lot of battery, get used to it.

3. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

I know, coming from an Eris. but 30% in 25 minutes? I'm just chalking it up to 1st charge. Once the battery gets a few charges on it, hopefully see better back end performance. But the heat issue I will keep a close eye on. My Eris got warm with GPS or using media, but not THAT warm.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Well it could be worse...

I have a car dock for my DX and that's where it sits when I'm driving. I live in Central Arizona where the day time temperature this week has been 115. After running the DX GPS for my commute yesterday I'd swear that poor phone must've been close to 150 degrees. Makes me wonder how long this phone can last in this climate.

I just installed the "Battery Watcher" widget on my phone so I can keep tabs on battery status and temperature. I'll be checking it randomly next week to see how it's doing. I'm almost afraid to look! :eek:

5. mikeyfl

mikeyfl Well-Known Member

i had a couple moments of hotness just screwing around with it in my living room. dont think it was so much the battery, but the spot right below it where it says 'google'. that part was the hot potato.

6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

you know? a reviewer said that the phone got hot with gps. I've been using gps all day with no problems. why the difference?

7. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Well-Known Member

mine gets hot too......but im not using gps?

8. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

my eris got "X"tremely hot using GPS too. Same with the wife's ally. Its common I guess, but anything over 120 and I would start to think about shutting things down a bit till it cooled off.

9. ryan pence

ryan pence New Member

I have also had some random heat issues but i've had mine for a few days and it's getting better. I'm hoping it was just some first start jitters. But i love the phone overall. I had the moto droid and loved it but the x, i mean, WOW!

On another note.
    Anyone hear about flash for droid and when its coming out?

10. ryan pence

ryan pence New Member

I have also had some random heat issues but i've had mine for a few days and it's getting better. I'm hoping it was just some first start jitters. But i love the phone overall. I had the moto droid and loved it but the x, i mean, WOW!

On another note.
    Anyone hear about flash for droid and when its coming out?

11. jayloren724

jayloren724 Member

Just tried using GPS for the first time this morning my way to work (around 45 min) and the phone got quite warm as well. I don't have any apps installed that monitor temperature, but it was definitely warmer than usual

This is my first smartphone, so I don't know if this is typical when using GPS. I will continue to monitor it though.

12. New ERA

New ERA Well-Known Member

My x gets pretty warm just after normal use like surfing the web for a while....is this normal?

13. maxwellimus

maxwellimus Well-Known Member

Same here, I would say like 10mins of surfing the web, the phone gets warm, and if i prolong it more it gets warm/hot.