• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hot phone, ouch.

D

Deleted User

I use my DX daily in the front window as a GPS. It gets really hot. I wonder how hot the HD will be?
According to wiki:
Molding a thin layer of carbon fibers significantly improves fire resistance of polymers or thermoset composites because a dense, compact layer of carbon fibers efficiently reflects heat

If the DX gets hot from the sun (yes), it might be cooler on the dash than my DX.
If CF is heat resistant, then maybe it won't let heat out. That would be bad.

I think the CF will be good as in the winter, my phone is less suceptable to heat on the dash. So most the really hot DX issues has to come from baking in the sun.

Any thoughts?
I'd get white, but that throws a nasty reflection on the window.

I use my DX daily in the front window as a GPS. It gets really hot. I wonder how hot the HD will be?
According to wiki:
Molding a thin layer of carbon fibers significantly improves fire resistance of polymers or thermoset composites because a dense, compact layer of carbon fibers efficiently reflects heat

If the DX gets hot from the sun (yes), it might be cooler on the dash than my DX.
If CF is heat resistant, then maybe it won't let heat out. That would be bad.

I think the CF will be good as in the winter, my phone is less suceptable to heat on the dash. So most the really hot DX issues has to come from baking in the sun.

Any thoughts?
I'd get white, but that throws a nasty reflection on the window.

My DX gets hot when I use the GPS in the car dock. (which I have attached to the windshield) I use Battery Notifier Pro which also monitors the phones temp, and when I use the GPS I've had the temp go as high as 114F. I'm sure it's not from the sun. When I get my new Maxx HD I'll keep an eye on it. If it gets that hot I may try to modify one of the A/C ducts to discharge directly on the phone as I'm sure 114F can't be good for the phone or the battery. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
My DX gets hot when I use the GPS in the car dock. (which I have attached to the windshield) I use Battery Notifier Pro which also monitors the phones temp, and when I use the GPS I've had the temp go as high as 114F. I'm sure it's not from the sun. When I get my new Maxx HD I'll keep an eye on it. If it gets that hot I may try to modify one of the A/C ducts to discharge directly on the phone as I'm sure 114F can't be good for the phone or the battery. :smokingsomb:
I love my VW Jetta. It has a factory AC outlet on the top of the dash pointing straight up to the window. It is not for cooling the passenger as it cannot point towards the cabin. It is not a defoster either. It's called indirect heating and AC that will heat the cabin without blowing cold or hot air directly on the drive or passengers.
Even on the hotest days I can make the phone ICE cold. However, if it is sunny and I don't have the AC on, it doesn't cool the phone. I"ll turn on the AC just to cool the phone sometimes since I have a movie going for the wife, GPS on for me in the background, and wifi tether for the kids in the back seat to use the internet. My phone uses a lot of juice sometimes. That is why I'm not sure if it's the sun or the actual device getting it hot. I suspect both. I wish I could go WHITE.... but I put a small strip of white paper on the top edge of my DX to see the effects of the reflection on the window and it's is very distracting. Now if the entire phone was white, it would be horrible to see that reflection.

Upvote 0
These newer devices are running high bandwidth data, high res displays and high clocked chipsets in a very small form factor. The GS3 gets hot and does not have a sealed case like the HD. My guess is the HD will get hotter as a result.

Not a fault of the device, but a reality of the electrical physics involved.

Upvote 0
I'm still running my origl Inc1, it has always run really hot with 3G and when running the GPS, in fact sometimes I think the battery will blow up. However when I am running just WiFi at home, it is cold no heat at all.

Why is it like that? 3G my phone battery runs super hot yet WiFi it's very cool.

Upvote 0
I'm still running my origl Inc1, it has always run really hot with 3G and when running the GPS, in fact sometimes I think the battery will blow up. However when I am running just WiFi at home, it is cold no heat at all.

Why is it like that? 3G my phone battery runs super hot yet WiFi it's very cool.

It is the signal. One main reason is that wifi is local, so the power draw needed to receive and transmit data is significantly less. This is also mainly why wifi provides better battery life for data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones