• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hot-plugging HDMI

sharksfan7

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I've had my Nexus 10 for a few months but only connected it to my TV via HDMI a couple of times. I'm pretty sure I read when I got it that I'm supposed to power off both the tablet & the TV before plugging in the cable. I'm reading on other websites that the HDMI spec is hot-pluggable but most recommend not doing it. However, reading most of the threads here pertaining to HDMI issues, I don't see this ever brought up. So I'm wondering, when connecting via HDMI, do you power off both devices before plugging in? Has anyone experienced any damage to their N10 or TV when hot-plugging?

In the HDMI spec, there's on pin used for hotplug detection, so I would guess that means that HDMI is hot-pluggable. Why have a detection method for something the devices don't support?

You may find some devices that aren't properly implemented in software and don't handshake properly when hotplugged. The only way to determine that is to try it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones