Hot Screen WarningTips

1. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Just a warning for everybody living in hot climate.

Today I had a very strange issue that led me to believe that the phone was defective.

I am in a part of the world with very hot weather - 40C on a daily basis. I went outside and walked around and took the phone out of my pocket at some point, only to find out that I was unable to unlock the screen. It was totally unresponsive. Even when I long-pressed the power button and the menu showed up to allow to power off, restart etc., I was unable to choose any of the options. After many tries I unlocked it, rebooted several times, defrosted all apps, uninstalled the most recent ones cleared cache, etc. Nothing helped. I was sure that the firmware was screwed up and backed up my stuff and did a hard reset. The issue persisted. I then returned to my office, put the phone on charger and let it stay in an air-conditioned room. After 15 minutes the issue was gone and has not come back since.

I assume it was the heat as I restored everything from before the problem started and nothing caused it again.

Advertisement
  2. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Well-Known Member Developer

Hot climate + phone = bad times
    Not only does fhe phone overheat but it becomes unresponsive also if the phone becomes too hot it can cause internal damage
  3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

The funny thing was, battery temp was only shown as 40C, that is not hot enough to break anything in the phone.

I only assume it was the temperature, as the phone has been re-set up and has not shown the same problem since.

If you live in the dessert, there is no way of avoiding hot temps :)
  4. donmeca2020

donmeca2020 Well-Known Member

im worried about this as well, i leave my phone in my car from 1:45pm til almost 10:00pm due to me working in a high security enviroment phones are not allowed in. mind everyone i live in south florida and the weather is ALWAYS HOT..

i have never experienced problems leaving my optimus M in the glovebox, but does anyone think the heat cold affect the s3??
  5. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

I work at a place that does not allow cell phones at work. This summer when I still had my Inc 2 I left it in the glove box while I was at work. When I got off work I pulled the phone out of the glove box and it would not turn on. After running the car's AC for a while the phone finally powered on but my battery as at less that 10%. It was turned off while in the glove box. After this experience I no longer leave my phone in the glove box.
  6. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

I would suggest that more specifically, hot climate + weak signal = bad times. If charging or using GPS at same time, yikes.

The ambient temp is a huge factor. My G3 was at over 49c yesterday, but it was hot in the car that I left it sitting for 20 minutes (windows open). That was the first time I noticed it get that hot, but I was in weak signal area where the GS3 gets very warm to hot, without a hot ambient temp.

Other phones get hot too, so not just the GS3 having spikes like this.
  7. scooter1942

scooter1942 Well-Known Member

do you have a separate trunk? the trunk of a car usually stays much cooler than the cabin

yeah, heat drains batteries quickly