Hot Spot speeds vs moblie broadband card.Support

Last Updated:

1. JettMartinez

JettMartinez Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone tested the speed of using Epic as a hotspot vs. using a broadband card?

I use my card pretty regularly for both 3G and 4G connections and it works great for online gaming and general internet-ary (generally no heavy streaming or downloads). The $30 charge to use the Epic would be a nice savings over the $60 for the card connection plan.

Advertisement
  2. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

You should root your phone and tether for free like everyone else, at least to try it out first :p.

3. JettMartinez

JettMartinez Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I may. I have to research what that's all about and what the risks are.

I'm new to android phones, I don't even have my Epic in hand yet. It was delivered to my house yesterday, but I won't be home till Friday. :(

4. akasan

akasan Active Member

So I rooted my phone and installed Wifi tether, it was cool except my computer stops recognizing the phone after a few hours, requiring a reset of computer and phone. Also, PS3 doesn't recognize ad-hoc networks. the extra $30 bucks isn't gonna hurt me (plus I already get a discount through my job) so I added the mobile hotspot, good speeds can watch hulu with no issue, ps3 picks up the phone just fine. Is there a way to get the ps3 to recognize wi-fi tether without using a wired connecting to the computer? Should note I live in newark nj and 4g is active for about three weeks now. Initial speeds were not good but right now I average 2 to 3 bars inside my house.

5. altimuh

altimuh Well-Known Member

I don't doubt you at all... but I wish Sprint's coverage map was actually up-to-date. Or that they'd let us know where they're doing testing to open up new areas. I'm about an hour south of you - hoping 4g makes it's way down to central jersey soon! Kicker is, I just moved from north philly right before they made 4g available there. Doah!