• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help hot spot tethering is soooo slow...so is internet on s3

just bought 2 s3's...tethering is so slow, and so is internet I mean slow....bell had me do speed test.... .1bps

Something must be wrong with your device.. Before the 4.3 update, back when tethering still worked for me, I would typically get 15 Mbps or more, down and up, if I had 4 or 5 bars of 4G LTE signal..

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4

Upvote 0
Something must be wrong with your device.. Before the 4.3 update, back when tethering still worked for me, I would typically get 15 Mbps or more, down and up, if I had 4 or 5 bars of 4G LTE signal..

Does that mean I won't be able to tether once VZ updates my phone? That would be too bad because I need it; of course I could always go back to PDAnet!

JM

Upvote 0
Does that mean I won't be able to tether once VZ updates my phone? That would be too bad because I need it; of course I could always go back to PDAnet!

JM

I have PDANet as well and the only option that works on my AT&T S3, now that it has been upgraded to 4.3, is the Bluetooth option which, sadly, seems to top out at around 1Mbps.. Hardly ideal.. I'd make sure others report success before upgrading if tethering is important to you. I made that mistake and have regretted it ever since. Having Knox added to 4.3 makes downgrading a risky proposition as well. I've seen multiple reports of hard bricks when trying to flash back to 4.2.2..

Damn carriers..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I have PDANet as well and the only option that works on my AT&T S3, now that it has been upgraded to 4.3, is the Bluetooth option which, sadly, seems to top out at around 1Mbps.. Hardly ideal.. I'd make sure others report success before upgrading if tethering is important to you. I made that mistake and have regretted it ever since. Having Knox added to 4.3 makes downgrading a risky proposition as well. I've seen multiple reports of hard bricks when trying to flash back to 4.2.2..

Damn carriers..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
well, that settles it! If VZ fools around with the tethering, I will just go ahead and root the phone; something I've been thinking about but avoiding because it seems one needs to know more about playing with the phone than I want to know.

JM

Upvote 0
For anyone wanting to get free wifi tethering back on their S3 after the 4.3 update, I can confirm that is mod works. Better yet, I can confirm that you can root, apply this mod, unroot, and still use Mobile Iron for work email, etc..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48326067

Thoughts some might find this info handy.. You can see my trials and tribulations getting this setup, but now I have full, native hotspot support with no need for FoxFi!

Hope this is helpful!

MrSimmonsSr

Reactions: javamann
Upvote 0
For anyone wanting to get free wifi tethering back on their S3 after the 4.3 update, I can confirm that is mod works. Better yet, I can confirm that you can root, apply this mod, unroot, and still use Mobile Iron for work email, etc..

[MOD / HACK] - Fully enable native wifi hotspot AND native Bluetooth tethering - Page 11 - xda-developers

Thoughts some might find this info handy.. You can see my trials and tribulations getting this setup, but now I have full, native hotspot support with no need for FoxFi!

Hope this is helpful!

MrSimmonsSr

Thx for the info Mr Sr, it'll come in handy if and when I update; but I have no intension of doing so now or the near future.

JM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones