Hot Spot Tethering IssueSupport

Last Updated:

1. OutlawBlue9

OutlawBlue9 New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 7, 2010
    Like many of you on this forum I am a proud owner of a Nexus One (and probably will be for awhile. Two years out of the US and unable to get a subsidized phone might make me hold on to it even longer but no complaints!)

I moved to Jakarta a few months ago and have been using Simpati from Telkomsell as my carrier; after a few hiccups it works fine. While in the US on T-Mobile WiFi tethering worked for the most part. It wasn't the smoothest thing in the world; sometimes my PC would not connect sometimes it would take a few minutes, but usually it would be fine.

Here in Jakarta I have had..well...issues. My main goal is to be able to use BlackBerry Messenger on my BB Curve without having to buy a simcard, pay for more data, and pay to unlock it by just tethering it to my Android. BBM is VEEERY popular in Jakarta and is sometimes the only way to keep in contact with important figures whom I'm networking with. A normal person might just scrap his N1 and move to BB while they were here but I love Android and my Nexus far too much for this to ever happen.

However, for some reason, when I turn Tethering on and connect my BB Curve to it (connects just fine) it does not allow any data to flow. For reference there is no Sim card in the BB if this matters at all. I have tried connecting my BB to a real WiFi network and it works for the most part. I have also tried connecting my laptop to my N1 and it connects but then continues to "Identify the network" for a long time and when it finally finishes and says "Internet available" nothing works (This is on Windows 7 Ultimate by the way).

My only guess would be that it has something to do with the carrier, Simpati, not allowing tethering but it was my understanding that as long as your phone was unlocked or rooted or just awesome(Nexus One)that there was little a carrier could do to prevent it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!